Recently returned - Some Observations

I'll add to my previous remarks about our AK day that in the evening, wandering between the water and Dinoland, we did hold hands for a bit. Heard no reactions, but it was pretty dark out.

Tangent: At our suburban Boston mall tonight, coming out of Williams-Sonoma, I was just about to ask DH if he dinged on the clerk when two young men walked across our field of vision who definitely dinged the gaydar even more strongly. And to prove that the gaydar was working, we saw as they past that they had their fingers intertwined. It's good to be back home in Massachusetts.​

Ugh, my wife and I get mistaken for sisters all the time. It's not a huge deal, but so annoying over and over again--it totally makes me feel invisible! I often wonder if this happens to gay men, too, or not. It seems less likely, since mild couple behavior (holding hands, saying "honey" or similar, deferring to each other on decisions) is common for women who aren't couples in the US but less so for men. Anyone ever been asked if their husband/male partner is their brother?

I am just WAITING for someone to mistake my partner for my daughter. Admittedly, she is about a decade younger than me, but beyond that, she is SUPER baby-faced. She's also pretty playful, whereas I am more serious, so she presents as even younger than she is. She still gets carded. And we do kinda look a little alike.

I keep joking we need to put her out in the sun more without sunscreen, or make her start smoking. Maybe just rub cigarettes into her skin. Or get some very mild sandpaper. Or maybe I could kind of smoosh and tug on her face while she sleeps.

I should work on my will because I'm pretty sure if that ever happens I will die of sheer mortification. :D

My wife and I had our honeymoon in WDW in September 2014 as well as our anniversaries in 2015 & 2016 then on DCL in 2016. We were congratulated quite a bit by CM'so as well as some guests. I don't remember any negative experiences during any of our trips. We have had a photopass photographer take couple pics and a kiss pic in front of the castle on our Honeymoon & one did a cute pic of a close up of our anniversary pin with us blurred in the background. The people on the cruise were great. On our anniversary night one of our waiters sang Happy Anniversary to us. At Palo our server had a special plate with Happy 2ND anniversary written in chocolate brought to our table with our desserts.

It makes me happy to see how much everyone is congratulated and seem more on the positive side of things! I'm not much of a pda person but I enjoy holding hands and a kiss now and then like a quick peck, however we went last year and I didn't do either bc I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable and get the stares. But straight couples do far worse sometimes and ppl don't give them a second glance half the time, so we leave on Friday for wdw and this year I might not worry about anyone else besides my fiancée and I having a good time! So thanks for everyone's stories and sharing their experiences with ppl and cm alike.

My partner, Ryan, and I (he's on the right in my profile photo) celebrated our sixth anniversary at WDW during Pop Warner week last month. I called to get our anniversary celebration noted in our reservation. We've never had a negative reaction to our couplehood at WDW (or DLR) from CMs, and if any guest has ever not approved, we haven't noticed either. Though I should say, I often wear my yarmulke in the parks and Ryan and I are a lot more attuned to catching that patented "Oh my God are you a Jew?" stare at the top of my head, so we probably wouldn't so much notice casual homophobia.

Last month, we got nice enough "Happy Anniversary" greetings from front desk CMs when we had reason to visit the front desk at our resort (CSR.) However, we had two unexpectedly truly magical experiences. At DHS we were wearing our anniversary pins, and our waitress at 50's Prime Time Cafe fawned over us and brought us champagne to celebrate. And at Epcot one evening--and this is without any buttons or notice of our anniversary or couplehood--a Photopass photographer deliberately posed us very romantically holding hands and gazing at Spaceship Earth. Both moments were really nice and we knew we were being treated in both of those moments equal to how any heterosexual couple might have been treated. Of course, that's one of the reasons we go to Disney in the first place.

:-)

:confused3
My partner, Ryan, and I (he's on the right in my profile photo) celebrated our sixth anniversary at WDW during Pop Warner week last month. I called to get our anniversary celebration noted in our reservation. We've never had a negative reaction to our couplehood at WDW (or DLR) from CMs, and if any guest has ever not approved, we haven't noticed either. Though I should say, I often wear my yarmulke in the parks and Ryan and I are a lot more attuned to catching that patented "Oh my God are you a Jew?" stare at the top of my head, so we probably wouldn't so much notice casual homophobia.

Last month, we got nice enough "Happy Anniversary" greetings from front desk CMs when we had reason to visit the front desk at our resort (CSR.) However, we had two unexpectedly truly magical experiences. At DHS we were wearing our anniversary pins, and our waitress at 50's Prime Time Cafe fawned over us and brought us champagne to celebrate. And at Epcot one evening--and this is without any buttons or notice of our anniversary or couplehood--a Photopass photographer deliberately posed us very romantically holding hands and gazing at Spaceship Earth. Both moments were really nice and we knew we were being treated in both of those moments equal to how any heterosexual couple might have been treated. Of course, that's one of the reasons we go to Disney in the first place.

:-)

Ugh so sorry you experience an negative attention over your yarmulke. I'll never forget the waitress who thought I was lying when BOG 1st opened and you had to have a celebration to get the grey stuff. It was the 3rd night of Hanukkah so we were indeed having Hanukkah dinner and said as such when asked if we were celebrating any thing. The waitress rolled her eyes and said yeah right. I can only imagine it is because we ordered pork but news flash a lot of Jews don't keep kosher. It was that or we didn't look Jewish enough for her. :confused3 I laugh about it now but it wasn't that funny when it happened.

:confused3

Ugh so sorry you experience an negative attention over your yarmulke. I'll never forget the waitress who thought I was lying when BOG 1st opened and you had to have a celebration to get the grey stuff. It was the 3rd night of Hanukkah so we were indeed having Hanukkah dinner and said as such when asked if we were celebrating any thing. The waitress rolled her eyes and said yeah right. I can only imagine it is because we ordered pork but news flash a lot of Jews don't keep kosher. It was that or we didn't look Jewish enough for her. :confused3 I laugh about it now but it wasn't that funny when it happened.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I only get that weird stare rarely. What happened to you seems kind of disrespectful from a CM. I hope you complained--or at least got the grey stuff!

I'm sorry that happened to you. I only get that weird stare rarely. What happened to you seems kind of disrespectful from a CM. I hope you complained--or at least got the grey stuff!

We got the grey stuff so that did take off the edge. Everyone at the table were CMs at the time so we didn't make a habit of complaining. I just hope they didn't treat guests that way.

I am just WAITING for someone to mistake my partner for my daughter. Admittedly, she is about a decade younger than me, but beyond that, she is SUPER baby-faced. She's also pretty playful, whereas I am more serious, so she presents as even younger than she is. She still gets carded. And we do kinda look a little alike.

We've been asked twice if we were mother and daughter.

And I'm only four years older than she is.

:sad:

It makes me happy to see how much everyone is congratulated and seem more on the positive side of things! I'm not much of a pda person but I enjoy holding hands and a kiss now and then like a quick peck, however we went last year and I didn't do either bc I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable and get the stares. But straight couples do far worse sometimes and ppl don't give them a second glance half the time, so we leave on Friday for wdw and this year I might not worry about anyone else besides my fiancée and I having a good time! So thanks for everyone's stories and sharing their experiences with ppl and cm alike.
Did you have a good time? I think it's really sad if a couple feels like they can't even hold hands. I know, I come from a place and time where I am lucky this is not a problem MOST places I regularly go. I hope you relaxed and enjoyed YOUR vacation (honestly, I couldn't tell you how gay or straight 99% of the couples / families I saw at WDW were, I was too busy being sure not to lose / miss a meltdown cue for my ASD DS.)

my husband and i have never really been into PDA or anything of the sort(had one bad experience back in iowa when we first started dating) and so don't make it obvious that we're a couple. however, we've had photopass photographers ask how we know each other, and when we say we're married they'll have us do the typical couples photos. the first time or three my husband was a little on the uneasy side with it, as he's had bad experiences in his past. i've been more open about it. we've never had any outright negative reactions to holding hands or kissing/hugging in the parks, and a ton of outright positive. we just recently celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary and both wore the celebrating button, and gotten lots of congrats from the cast members, and lots of hugs and celebrations from the characters.
all in all, do not take offense if the cast members don't recognize you and your spouse as a couple unless you make it obvious to them that you are. if you're not willing to be open about it, then how can you expect the reactions and direction that you're expecting?

Congrats on your anniversary!

I have noticed more gay and lesbian couples in the last few years and it fills my heart with happiness to see people coming to Disney to enjoy themselves, celebrating/button wearing, and holding hands in public, or giving a smooch, etc, I always wonder and hope that others treat them with kindness. I'm shy and I won't start a conversation or say anything, but I do often smile a big old "yay! you are at Disney smile!" because I'm happy for them.

[GALLERY=]https://db.tt/k6YiMvcpHO[/GALLERY]
k6YiMvcpHO
photo.php

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!