Reception Alternatives

Oyhoyt

Earning My Ears
Hi there! My Fiance and I are planning a Disney World wedding for Nov '20. While we are still a ways out we are trying to make some decisions now to save on stress later. We want to have an 18-25 person ceremony at the Poly on a monday. We are also having a reception at home with a larger group. We have this idea of getting married in the morning or noon and then spending the day doing different activities with our guests and finishing the night with an epcot dessert party, but we dont really have a desire for a typical reception... so my question is: is there a way to get married using the wishes package (more than 18 guests) and not have a reception? or is our only choice to limit the guest count to 18, book escape, and then book the dessert party and any other activities separately.

A second question is in regards to the Grog Grotto. Do they allow you to order the fun themed drinks and have the effects if you rent it out for a party?

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

The only way to have a Wishes event is to pay for a Wishes reception. But there are several options for you:

Morning ceremony + evening Wishes reception inside Epcot at a fireworks-viewing location: https://disneyweddingpodcast.com/mini-wishes-wedding-spotlight-marcia-aaron/
Morning ceremony + Trader Sam's Wishes reception, then a dessert party (yes, you can pay for the effects and a bartender who knows the drink recipes): https://disneyweddingpodcast.com/wishes-wedding-spotlight-danielle-jason/

Escape wedding + dessert party: https://disneyweddingpodcast.com/category/walt-disney-world/escape-collection/

Disney actually allows up to 25 guests at Escape weddings but hasn't publicized this until very recently.

You didn't ask, but I am going to share my unsolicited advice anyway.

Please feed your guests.

It sounds like this will be a destination wedding for them, which involves considerable effort on their part to attend. A dessert party is wonderful, but I encourage you to have a celebratory immediately meal after the ceremony. If budget is an issue then it needn't be expensive, or even formal, but to not do anything would be disrespectful to your guests.

If you absolutely refuse, consider serving dinner at your dessert party. I know they offer several fun and affordable (well, affordable for Disney) options to serve before dessert.

Good luck! Nicole

You didn't ask, but I am going to share my unsolicited advice anyway.

Please feed your guests.

It sounds like this will be a destination wedding for them, which involves considerable effort on their part to attend. A dessert party is wonderful, but I encourage you to have a celebratory immediately meal after the ceremony. If budget is an issue then it needn't be expensive, or even formal, but to not do anything would be disrespectful to your guests.

If you absolutely refuse, consider serving dinner at your dessert party. I know they offer several fun and affordable (well, affordable for Disney) options to serve before dessert.

Good luck! Nicole

Oh no we definitely plan on feeding them! We are a family of foodies so no food would be a horrible experience for everyone. The questions were more about the structure of the events. We don't have a desire for a 4 hour long reception, so were looking for alternatives. I truly appreciate your honesty, I would not dream of leaving them hungry.

I really appreciate these options. And does Disney actually allow up to 25 guests!? Because that would be amazing.... Do you know where they've publicized that?

They aren't really sharing it publicly, but they have been emailing Escape couples directly to let them know. According to the guy who manages sales for DFTW, it has been an unspoken policy for a while. But this is the first time we've seen them offer it to couples they're working with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter