Recipes for cooking while camping

sltrawick

Mouseketeer
Okay, I'm getting tired of cooking the same ole thing when we camp. I bring my crockpot and we also grill. (I'm in a pop-up, so I don't have a oven, only a stove).
So, I would love to swap or even get some new recipes from you!
Thanks!!

º0º
Sharon in Florida
Wife to Cameron for the past 15 years (July 2)
Taxi Mom to: Christopher-12 & Kayla-8
My Trips to DW:
Next Trip: June 15-25, 2001
OffSite-1984,86,87,89,91&92
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000
mickey82.gif

Well tell us what the "same Ole thing Is" inquiring minds would like to know ;) ;)

We also bring the crock pot, stick a bag of frozen meatballs in with some sauce and they are ready when we get back - then either meatball subs or some type of pasta concoction :rolleyes:

We also bring deli meats and make toasted sandwiches which are quick and easy, then of course we cook the break and bake cookies in the toaster oven - nothing like warm cookies.

then the usually burgers and dogs. One trip my mother made some great cheesy baked potato thingy's - not sure how she made them but they were good - I'll have to get back with you on that one...

<Font Size=2><Font Color=blue>Scott</Font><Font
>
Co-Moderator Camping @ Disney Board

DisneyCampers@wdwinfo.com
<center><Font Color=ff0066><Font size=4>www.disneycampers.com
</Font></font></center>
<marquee>
wavey.GIF
</marquee>

Somebody on here (forget who) mentioned putting a boneless pork roast in a crock pot with some bb-q sauce and having juicy bb-q pork sandwiches after a day at the parks. I remembered this one---sounds yummy!!! I like Scott's meatballs and sauce too!! I'll keep checking back for more.....

FW 6/79
Off-site 5/82
Off-site 5/95
PO 3/98
FW 11/99
FW 6/01
FW 12/01
FW 6/02

I have done the BBQ before and it was great. You can eat off of it for a couple of days! :)
We do burgers, hot dogs, steaks, chicken. And with the crock pot, I do round steak and Cream of Mushroom soup. And I've got this recipe that is good. Sounds funny, but I have had people actually come up to my camper and ask me what that yummy smell was:

Cream Cheese Crockpot Chicken
1pkg. good seasons italian dressing mix
3-4 chicken breast, skinned, boneless, cubed
1 stick of margarine
1 can cream of chiken soup (undiluted)
1 reg. size cream cheese
combine dress, chicken and margarine in crockpot. cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Take chicken out and add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Return chicken to crockpot & cook on high for 1 hour. Serve over noodles or mash potatoes or rice.

I would love any recipes, whether they be crockpot or not! Thanks

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000
mickey82.gif

I also like to take and make spagetti sauce and pasta up in the crockpot too.
I like the meatball idea. I can make them up ahead of time (or get the already made kind from Sam's) and just add some sauce to it. Thanks Scott.
Any other ideas...please pass them on!

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000
mickey82.gif

This may be a goofy idea for FW camping but last fall I went camping with our Brownie troop. The leader is an experienced camper and I was the entirely inexperienced troop coleader. Our trip was 2 nights so we had 5 meals and snacks to do.
I had no idea what was in store! Oh boy..pizza, pancakes and bacon, hamburgers and hot dogs, spagetti and meatballls, and baked chocolate chip cookies.
Surprise! The pizza and the cookies were baked in a trash can! It worked just like an oven. The metal trash can tipped on its side and fitted with a rack in the center at the widest point and placed on top of the campfire. The cover was placed on to hold in the heat. It worked beautifully. I imagine that you could make meatloaf and baked potatos, etc. I guess if you wanted to, you could buy a trash can and a rack and then fill up the trash can with supplies and leave the trash can at the end of your trip with someone else to use?

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I always like to hear though, what everyone else does for cooking/food when they camp.

A Trash can?? That's differant!

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000
mickey82.gif

I emailed sltrawick on this one ( hi Sharon!)but I thought while I had a few minutes I would share this with all of you also.
Coleman has an oven you can buy that folds down for storage.It will hold an 8x8 pan so what ever you can fit in that size pan you can bake in there including great baked pototoes,muffins,cake,cookies etc.

goofy11a.gif
Albany,GA

Got your email!!! I can't wait to check this out. You just put it over top of your grill and it bakes? Does it have a temperature gauge on it too? That is soooo cool!

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000

...a Forman Grill can come in real handy. It makes great bacon and hashbrown patties for breakfast, and grilled chicken for lunch or dinner. Marinate the chicken in a Ziplock and some store bought Italian dressing and you're set!

Christin

I love the George Foreman Grill for camping too! We also marinade with Italian dressing - so easy. The crockpot is the real winner. I cut up slices of turkey ham about 1/2 inch thick and cover with a quick sauce of brown sugar and apple juice. Also, chicken covered with cream of chicken soup. Make some box or prepared mashed pots and it's a very hardy meal. Also, round steak with some beef gravy and serve over noodles. All of these things can save you time by prepping at home. I cut my meat as desired and freeze in ziplocs. I cook the rotini noodles ahead of time (my gas stove takes forever to boil water!) and freeze them. Then all they need is warming.

We ate a lot of great meals when we were at FW. On the days we were at the parks we would come back at midday and and have a great homecooked crockpot dinner. It tasted so good after smelling fried park food all day!

Cream Cheese Crockpot Chickens sounds yummy! :D

Shirley

"The Twins"
dalmsbar.gif

Oh Shirley, it is wonderful!!!

Whenever we camp and I cook it. (I leave my crockpot outside to cook under the awning). I have actually had people come up to the camper and ask me what that wonderful smell is. And of course, I have to give them the recipe. :)

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000

Sharon, I have already printed it and am going to try it at home this weekend. I will let you know what I think.

Shirley

"The Twins"
dalmsbar.gif

If you have any great crockpot recipes...please post! I'm always looking for new ones! :)

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000

One thing I love to do is throw a cheap roast in the crockpot with a can of Campbells Golden Mushroom soup (not the cream of mushroom) or a can of french onion soup, add a can of water and a dash of worchestshire and you're set. It makes a great broth and the meat will fall apart. So easy. Serve with potatoes or rice or on sandwiches.

Shirley

CBR Jan 2000
Next Trip Jan 2002 Where to stay?

Shirley.....did you try the cream cheese chicken? did you like it???

º0º
Sharon in Florida
Wife to Cameron for the past 15 1/2 years (July 2)
Taxi Mom to: Christopher-12 1/2 & Kayla-8.90
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!