Recommendations for a new cell phone provider

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
We've had Verizon for years, and have been pretty happy with them, but their prices are getting pretty high. They have good coverage. DH's company phone was A T&T, and lots of times, I would have coverage with my Verizon phone when he wouldn't. Any there suggestions for a good cell phone provider who's reasonably priced?

I use Straight Talk. $35 month 3g of LTE data unlimited talk/text. I've used them for years. Never have had any service issues, unless in the boonies.

Look at Verizon Prepaid. I went from postpaid to prepaid and my bill dropped, and I actually have more data than before.

Take a look at Verizon Prepaid. I went from postpaid to prepaid and the cost for my service dropped, and I now have more data too.

Google Fi. Have had it for 3 years now and will never leave. It's flat out amazing.

29.99 a month for unlimited talk/test + $10/GB for data. So if you're using WIFI primarily, it's definitely the way to go. If you travel internationally, there are no extra charges for using data. You just pay the $10 per GB.

Cool thing is the service looks for the best signal in your area between Sprint/TMobile/AT&T.

I love it.

Total Wireless, works on Verizon network.
$35 for 1 line 5GB data
$60 for 2 lines 15GB
I do the $100 for 4 plan, and a $35 single line for my family and I always buy my refill cards at Target because they have sales on them.

IMO, the number one issue when looking for cell provider is coverage in the area YOU will be. It doesn't matter if someone comes on here and says "I have xxxx provider and the service is wonderful! Never a lack of signal." It matters only where YOU are. You are better off asking coworkers and friends who they use and whether they get good service.

Once you find good service, then look at pricing and everything else. You could find the cheapest provider, but if you have to go to a certain room to use the phone, cost doesn't really matter.

There are only three carriers(maybe 4....I can't keep up with all the mergers) with actual wireless networks of their own: AT&T, Verizon, and T Mobile (and maybe Sprint, which has either or is in the process of merging with T mobile). Everyone else is a reseller. By far the largest resale network is the one run by T-Mobile. So, when you see all these smaller companies and want to know how their service will work for you, look at what T-Mobile offers in your area.

I have T-Mobile for one of my phones, and it works well, but there are definitely small pockets in extremely rural areas of my state where I lose coverage. Not a big deal to me because I'm rarely there. For my other phone, I use Consumer Cellular, which offers very inexpensive flat rate service. They resell T-mobile, so (no surprise) coverage is equivalent).

All carriers (at least in my state) offer a risk free trial period so you can figure out in actual practice whether their service is acceptable in your area. If you are like most people and live in a reasonably urban or suburban area, you can pretty much safely go with any carrier. If you live more rural, or NEED your phone in more rural areas, then Verizon or AT&T are your best bet. Also, be aware that your cell phone can be locked to a specific carrier, and you may NOT be able to port your phone over to new carrier (you'll have to get a new one). This is a cost you will need to factor into your analysis.

IMO, the number one issue when looking for cell provider is coverage in the area YOU will be. It doesn't matter if someone comes on here and says "I have xxxx provider and the service is wonderful! Never a lack of signal." It matters only where YOU are. You are better off asking coworkers and friends who they use and whether they get good service.

Once you find good service, then look at pricing and everything else. You could find the cheapest provider, but if you have to go to a certain room to use the phone, cost doesn't really matter.

Yep, agree. We're with Cricket and couldn't be happier. I pay $125 all in for 5 lines and coverage is great. But doesn't mean it would be great where you are.

As for pricing, if a senior (could be 55, 60 or 65 depending on carrier) ask about senior pricing.

There are only three carriers(maybe 4....I can't keep up with all the mergers) with actual wireless networks of their own: AT&T, Verizon, and T Mobile (and maybe Sprint, which has either or is in the process of merging with T mobile). Everyone else is a reseller. By far the largest resale network is the one run by T-Mobile. So, when you see all these smaller companies and want to know how their service will work for you, look at what T-Mobile offers in your area.

I have T-Mobile for one of my phones, and it works well, but there are definitely small pockets in extremely rural areas of my state where I lose coverage. Not a big deal to me because I'm rarely there. For my other phone, I use Consumer Cellular, which offers very inexpensive flat rate service. They resell T-mobile, so (no surprise) coverage is equivalent).

All carriers (at least in my state) offer a risk free trial period so you can figure out in actual practice whether their service is acceptable in your area. If you are like most people and live in a reasonably urban or suburban area, you can pretty much safely go with any carrier. If you live more rural, or NEED your phone in more rural areas, then Verizon or AT&T are your best bet. Also, be aware that your cell phone can be locked to a specific carrier, and you may NOT be able to port your phone over to new carrier (you'll have to get a new one). This is a cost you will need to factor into your analysis.

OP, this is the most important thing- you need to figure out which carrier gives you the best coverage. Once you determine that you can choose to go through them or find an MVNO that uses their network.
I have to use the Verizon network because it is the only one that works at my home (even though the others work in my area). The Tracfone companies work on that (Tracfone, Totalwireless, Straighttalk, PagePlus). I have used all those services in the past and never had an issue with coverage at home or elsewhere, even in very rural places.
I think they tend to be the more expensive of the MVNOs because they use Verizon so if you find another network that works in your area you can probably find better prices. I wish I could use another network to save more.

Take a look at Verizon Prepaid. I went from postpaid to prepaid and the cost for my service dropped, and I now have more data too.
Just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I was on the Verizon post paid and switched to the pre-paid and doubled my data and cut my bill in half... more Mickey Money as I call it haha.

I have 4 phones with Cricket (AT&T network) that are all unlimited everything for $100 a month. I couldn't be happier with the service for the price.

I'll add to this that sometimes it will even matter from house to house.

Sprint has great coverage in my metro overall and I have amazing signal with Sprint, even in my basement. But I'm near a cell tower. I had to spend time at my mom's house to help her recover from her knee surgery and I forgot how the service wasn't good with Sprint at her house. For reference we're 15.5miles from each other. Neither one of us has had another carrier besides Sprint so I couldn't even say if another carrier would be better though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter