Recommendations for first-timers? Underrated restaurants?

Dingdingding

Mouseketeer
My girlfriend and I will go to WDW for our first time and have booked a package that includes the dining package. We are looking into possible dining and lunch options but we can't see the forest for the trees. We have looked on the internet but it seems mostly focused on popularity and restaurants like "Be our guest" that haven't necessarily have the best reputation for the food (more for the scenery and atmosphere). We looking for just good food, that will cost one counter service or table service point and we are looking for the hidden gems. Does anyone have any tips on underrated restaurants of the beaten path.

I have not heard anything negative about the food at BOG - I know it's a quick service but is it bad? I think we are wanting to go there more for the aesthetic but I obviously don't want to feed my family something I could easily get at Casey's Corner for all the struggle I've put into finding reservations!

Some of the places we have gone that we really enjoy is Tusker House in AK for breakfast. Great variety and it's a character meet and greet too! We like 50's Prime Time at HS. Food was good and the interactions we had with the cast was great. We are also big fans on Ohana for dinner. Try to setup your reservation around the fireworks at MK as they pipe the music into the restaurant. It was a great ending to our meal watching the fireworks.
You will hear the good and the bad of just about every restaurant that will be mention. Check out the menus, see what you like and go for it. Make sure you are keeping track of the cost since you are using the dinning plan. You want to make sure you spend enough to make the dining plan worth it! :smickey:

another shout for Wave, definitely under-rated.
the buffets are also better than we expected, particularly Tusker House and Park Fare.

I love the resort counter service more than the parks. POR (Riverside Mill?) do an amazing build your own salad which is absolutely a full meal in itself!

We were surprised by 1900 Park Fare. It is a character buffet, but there was surprisingly a lot of high quality food options and a lot of variety. It can get kind of hectic though, which was the only negative.

Spice Road Table is by far our favorite underrated restaurant. It's in Epcot and has a patio with a lagoon view. The food is Moroccan, but they do have some Americanized choices if you aren't adventurous (i.e Mixed Grill Skewers). I personally recommend the Roasted Chicken with potatoes and red peppers.. omg sooo good.

BoG is overrated in my opinion (at least for dinner). The ballroom has a cafeteria feel because it is loud and the tables are close together. The food was awful.. I literally could not cut my chicken it was so tough. Plus it was $230 for us four to get an appetizer and entree. You can get the pre fixe meal at Chefs de France for $39.99 and that includes app, entree, and dessert!

We finally got a BOG dinner ressie in May, and we were very happy. Food was great, atmosphere excellent, and of course, Beast was there! Rose and Crown has a terrific menu and great CMs. One of our favorites, though, is Sci Fi Dine-In. Enjoy your trip!

My girlfriend and I will go to WDW for our first time and have booked a package that includes the dining package. We are looking into possible dining and lunch options but we can't see the forest for the trees. We have looked on the internet but it seems mostly focused on popularity and restaurants like "Be our guest" that haven't necessarily have the best reputation for the food (more for the scenery and atmosphere). We looking for just good food, that will cost one counter service or table service point and we are looking for the hidden gems. Does anyone have any tips on underrated restaurants of the beaten path.

The Beach Club has the Cape May Clambake. There are crab legs, clams, shrimp, clam chowder, plus lots of non seafood offerings. It is one of our 'must do' restaurants once or twice each trip - very yummy! Never had a bad meal in our many trips there.

It's not unknown but Homecomin at Disney Springs is FABULOUS!

Maya Grill at Coronado Springs was also very delicious Mexican food and was the sleeper hit of our trip last week.

The French bakery in EPCOT has a ton of different options that are excellent. And I believe their items are considered snacks on the dining plan, but don't quote me on that since we don't use the dining plan.

We have a couple of favorite counter service spots: At Animal Kingdom is the Flame Tree BBQ and at Epcot in the Land is Sunshine Seasons.

For counter service, Wolfgang Puck Express at Disney Springs is truly the best. Good, high-quality food. I also like Earl of Sandwich at Disney Springs.

Table service favorites: Homecomin' (Disney Springs), Via Napoli (Epcot), Tokyo Dining (Epcot), and Liberty Tree Tavern (MK).

Spice Road Table is grossly underrated - as are all the Swolphin properties, but that won't help you. SRT I think does the dining plan, but its a tapas place, not really a dining plan kinda place...I find the plan useless, but if you could make it work at SRT, it's the best at Epcot, I'd even pick it over MP.

These are our faves and least faves
Most QS portions are enough for 2 people to share, especially if it's warm, so you can spread those out if you want to try lots of different places.

Our most absolute favorite in the whole world is Boma at AKL, breafast and dinner. Also our favorite resort and well worth seeing.

MK - Liberty Tree Tavern, but be prepared for a pretty long wait past reservation time. Worth it, though

AK (best food here!) - Yak and Yeti QS and Restaurantsaurus, we also really like Tusker House which has a menu very similar to Boma, fewer offerings but it's a character meal so it's a trade off. They also offer lunch, which Boma does not.

HS - we enjoy a lot of QS there, Sci Fi is great for apps and shakes and is very cool to see.

Epcot - Biergarten and the QS near Living with the Land are really good. Garden Grill was ok but probably wouldn't repeat. Akerhaus breakfast is very good but it's a pricey princess meal so maybe not worth it for 2 adults.

Turf Club we think is ok. We've only been there on the dining plan and we never enjoy having the plan, so that probably colored our opinion. We eat better and spend less when we just buy what we want when we want it.

We were unimpressed with the food at BOG. The inside is WOW but the food was just meh.
Beaches and Cream was the only total let down we've ever had at Disney and it was bad enough that I don't think we'll ever bother a 2nd try.

Table Service:
The Wave (Contemporary)
Sanaa (Animal Kingdom Lodge- Kidani)
Bongos (Disney Springs)
50s Prime Time Cafe (HS)
Spice Road Table (Epcot)
Kona Cafe (Polynesian/breakfast)​

Quick Service:
Tangerine Cafe (Epcot)
Columbia Harbor House (MK)
Sunshine Seasons (Epcot)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter