Recommendations for renting DVC points

91raven

Earning My Ears
Can anyone share their experience with renting DVC points? Any recommendations.... Thanks!

I loved going with David's. You do have to pay and commit upfront, buy their professionalism had me feeling good that the room would be ready for me. I enjoyed staying in a DVC room so much I ended up buying in myself.

I recommend David 's also. We rented our points, David used the proceeds to pay for our cruise, win/win. Great experience.

One piece to add: make sure you reserve at as close to 7 months out as possible. Otherwise, except to only get OKW and SSR as options. And don't think you can get the real cheap rooms, such as AKV value, BWV standard, or BLT standard. Those were gobbled up by owners long ago.
You really can get some nice rooms at great locations for just more than the price of a moderate by doing with them, though.

One piece to add: make sure you reserve at as close to 7 months out as possible.

I think you mean "11 months" these days. (And I know you know this!)

DVC owners can start reserving their home resort 11 months out. Your chances of getting exactly what you want are much greater if you have lined up someone, who owns at the resort that you are interested in booking, at least 11 months in advance of the day you wish to arrive. The probability of success goes down from there. Even then, as a renter do not expect to book Boardwalk Standard Studios or 2BR, BLT Standard Studios or 2BR units, Grand Floridian studios, or Animal Kingdom Value or Club Level units. You can ask, but have backup plans (and budget, in the case of the Standard/Value units).

I think you mean "11 months" these days. (And I know you know this!)

DVC owners can start reserving their home resort 11 months out. Your chances of getting exactly what you want are much greater if you have lined up someone, who owns at the resort that you are interested in booking, at least 11 months in advance of the day you wish to arrive. The probability of success goes down from there. Even then, as a renter do not expect to book Boardwalk Standard Studios or 2BR, BLT Standard Studios or 2BR units, Grand Floridian studios, or Animal Kingdom Value or Club Level units. You can ask, but have backup plans (and budget, in the case of the Standard/Value units).

I actually meant 7 months. Save a dollar a point that way and you can still get some decent places like BLT lake view, Poly, and AKV most times of the year. But yes , 11 for the hard to get ones is needed.

I actually meant 7 months. Save a dollar a point that way and you can still get some decent places like BLT lake view, Poly, and AKV most times of the year. But yes , 11 for the hard to get ones is needed.

For fall, people looking to rent are already too late for much of fall. I was looking at early December this morning.

For fall, people looking to rent are already too late for much of fall. I was looking at early December this morning.

Oh yeah agreed there. I was thinking summer, so that would explain our different experiences.
Don't even think about renting DVC from September until mid-December unless you have 11 months advance notice. Other months should be a bit more manageable though.

Another vote for David’s. Used them to rent before we ended up buying into DVC

Another vote for David's, just make sure you read up about renting points and the restrictions before you make a decision.

I'll add a vote for David's (dvcbyrequest.com). I've used them several times to rent out my own points, and they make the process very easy for both parties. They've been arranging rentals for a long time, and it shows in their competence and professionalism. Everything is handled promptly with very clear instructions and documentation.

I'm in the process of renting points for the first time through David's. It has been a really good experience so far.

I didn't realize how important it was to book far in advance, but I did get very lucky and got one of my top choice rooms 3 months out. I started by filling out my form, putting a deposit, and listing 3 acceptable room options. Later that day I found out one of the rooms I wanted was available for my dates, and approved them moving forward with securing the reservation. At this time they go to some of their DVC sellers and deal with that end. The next day I received my confirmation that my room was secured and I paid the balance of my rooms. I was immediately able to see the reservation on MDE to confirm (be sure to use the same information for David's as you do for MDE).

If one of your preferred rooms is not available they will contact you and let you know what places do have availability and you can choose to accept one of those reservations or get a refund of your deposit. All DVC rental places work from the same pool, so it isn't a matter of "Let me call around to see what I can get from these places" Either what you want is available or is not available. SOME confirmed reservations are available at one of the sites I was looking at (meaning you are purchasing a set room already booked for a specific hotel on certain dates - like a 1 bed villa @ OKW from Jan 20-25, 2019... take it or leave it).

You can set up your Magic Express transportation through a form on David's website, and if there are additional changes you will need to call. I did this and received confirmation within a few days that it was set up.

If you want to purchase a dining plan you can work that out through them, but the DVC owner will need to make the actual purchase so they suggest using gift cards rather than sharing your CC info (I did not do this so can't comment on how easy/difficult it was).

David's does warn that because they are Canadian based that some credit card companies charge foreign transaction fees. They made this VERY clear during the checkout process.

They ended up giving us a voucher for free magic band skins, I don't know if this is standard practice or if we got some pixie dust. It was a nice touch and very appreciated either way. There was advertising on some of the skins (not glittery ones) but I have zero problem with this.

I've used dvc-rental.com with excellent results!

As PPer said, with ANY rental be sure to read ALL the information very carefully,

I went through DVC Rental Store and it's been a breeze so far. It's our first time renting and our agent is great!

When we rented points before purchasing DVC we used DVC Rental Store. This past year I rented out my points using David's. Both were excellent in how they handled every transaction, but I can't compare apples to apples as I used each for differing sides of the equation.

Last edited:
We used David's for our upcoming trip. The process was super easy. You just fill out their request form and things just get rolling.

Another vote for David's, really quick and easy process! We made sure to put in a request 11 months out on a the dot for our trip in December last year (so we requested pretty much this time last year!).

We did a split stay and were able to get our first reservation at AKL for the first week of Dec without issue. However for the second half I originally planned to get a room at BLT but that was all booked out already so they offered we consider the Poly. David’s didn’t have enough points available to make a booking though so they offered to put us on a waitlist.

Luckily I was able to find Poly points directly with an owner so that was booked within the following few days.
There is some risk in organizing it through an owner, however the person who booked our reservation had records of doing this multiple times previously (always check their history), they were very helpful and replied to any requests promptly, provided a contract and it all went smoothly!

Going through a broker like David's may cost more but it also gives more piece of mind.

Any experience with Poly in the 7-11 month time frame? I know there is availability but none of the resellers seem to have Poly points.

We have used both David’s and DVC Rental Store and liked them both! I honestly didn’t see a difference in service between the 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter