Recommendations for Waterproof Cast Covers

Kim in PA

Mouseketeer
My daughter has spina bifida and club feet, and uses a wheelchair. She just had orthopedic surgery on both legs and feet, and is in short leg casts with no weight bearing.

We will be in Disney the last week of June. By then, she will be allowed to weight bear to transfer, but may still have some sort of casts. She is a fish, and loves to swim. Can anyone recommend waterproof cast covers that actually work? She will probably have two casts below the knees. They can not do waterproof casts, I believe due to her history with wounds. She was adopted from an orphanage at age 10.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I've used the cast protector without the plastic ring and, until I tore it, it worked well in the shower. It's possible the style with the ring might work. But please don't rely on my assumption. Talk to the doctor

Broke my elbow last year and went to Disney in August in a cast. The only thing my 5 year old nephew asked for was for us to spend an evening in the pool. Asked my orthopedic surgeon about it. He said no way, no how. He said that there is no "waterproof" cover for a cast. They don't work and all leak, which can cause mold and other issues. He said they tried to find a brand for years and never found a single one that worked. Maybe legs are different than arms, but please check with your doctor.

Edited to add - I took a pack of multi-colored Sharpies and let him draw on the cast. He had cast members and characters sign it too. (His favorite was Kevin from Security!) He had a ball and said it was way more fun than the pool. :)

Last edited:

Just remember... the stuff in pool water that kills germs is unstable and will, in pretty short order, break down and stop working. So even a small amount of pool water getting in under a cast will create a haven for biologic pathogens. An infection under a cast is a nightmare. They go unnoticed longer because they are out of sight and the cast being uncomfortable anyway masks skin irritation caused by the infection.

Promise your kiddo you'll take her and a friend to Kalahari for a day as soon as she gets her cast off. That's a fair deal.

My husband has a prosthetic leg and he uses the drypro vacuum sealed leg cover, they make them for arms too, but they are made for swimming so they are intended to be submerged. The pump allows you to get all the air out so it's air-tight and no water can get in.

Broke my elbow last year and went to Disney in August in a cast. The only thing my 5 year old nephew asked for was for us to spend an evening in the pool. Asked my orthopedic surgeon about it. He said no way, no how. He said that there is no "waterproof" cover for a cast. They don't work and all leak, which can cause mold and other issues. He said they tried to find a brand for years and never found a single one that worked. Maybe legs are different than arms, but please check with your doctor.

Edited to add - I took a pack of multi-colored Sharpies and let him draw on the cast. He had cast members and characters sign it too. (His favorite was Kevin from Security!) He had a ball and said it was way more fun than the pool. :)
While I did not break my elbow I have a radial fracture and just met the 4 week mark from when I was injured . My family is concerned about what I can and cannot do even though all the doctor said was “take it easy”. No cast but leaving Thursday still on restrictions with not lifting anything heavier than a utensil. How did you do knowing that your injury was worse than mine? Sorry, don’t want to take over this thread but closest injury to what I have.

Healthy prayers for your brave daughter! She is what hero’s are molded from!

Hooray! My daughter got her casts off the day before our Disney trip! Joy is 6 1/2 weeks post-op. She met with her orthopedic surgeon, and had X-rays and her last set of casts removed. She also received new AFOs (braces). She is allowed to walk in the pool (with braces on) and take a few steps to transfer with crutches. Two more weeks until she is allowed full weight bearing and we start PT. Her feet look good, but her legs are still growing new bone to fill in where the surgery was.

Joy had both tibias and fibulas cut and turned (osteotomies for tibial torsion) and a piece of bone removed from her longer leg to help with a leg length discrepancy. She had tendons cut on both ankles and feet and toes (tenotomies) which was the final step in her club foot treatment following serial casting, and she now has plates and screws in her legs and feet.

She will be able to walk much better once she recovers, but she still has neurological damage from the spina bifida, so it is not clear exactly what her walking will look like. Thank you to everyone for your continued prayers, and a special thank you to Dr. Nichols for making sure she had her casts off in time to swim at Disney!410649

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter