Recommendations or experiences for a light-weight, portable, wheelchair ramp to use for rental car or SUV?

Your challenges are magnified because you live and travel solo. (Thankfully, you are NOT the same as "Solo in Carbonite". LOL, sorry I couldn't resist a bit of Star Wars humor... 😁 )
Ha ha. Thanks for explaining that - otherwise, it would have gone way over me!

Okay.

I have been Googling a lot lately about my wrist and wheelchair ramps.

But I recently saw on a Google search an eBay ramp and put in a low bid and I won.

I Googled the same wheelchair ramp for price, lightness, and specifications. This one was an open box that looked brand new from an eBay Liquidator. I didn't really expect to win it because of the others selling for a lot more expensive price.

Here is some info from Amazon of the same ramp:

I can't see the photos on the webpage now since it is closed, but here are some other photos that look similar.

71MNyyCCVVL._SL1500_.jpg

Product weight?
6 pounds per ramp.

718O0dgj7vL._SL1500_.jpg

Weight capacity?
330 pounds per ramp; 660 pounds total.

61rOlxo4IXL._SL1500_.jpg

It's nice that it comes with a bag because that usually costs extra.

714i1B7mbcL._SL1500_.jpg

I only paid $60.99, so I guess that I can try them. My Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair has thin enough wheels and I don't have to worry about the space beneath the wheelchair interfering with the sides of the ramp. A few mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs have a lower height limit underneath their device that won't fit over the sides of the ramp to roll up the ramp. If that makes sense.

I'll try it in a rental SUV when I get a chance.

Seven pounds per ramp is light enough for me.

We'll see.
I’m wondering if you liked these ramps, Ray. I know F&G has (finally) put out their own lift, but it seems like a lot of bending work for a girl like me & wonder if the ramps would be more manageable? Thanks! 😄

I’m wondering if you liked these ramps, Ray. I know F&G has (finally) put out their own lift, but it seems like a lot of bending work for a girl like me & wonder if the ramps would be more manageable? Thanks! 😄

I don't know if Ray ever got the ramps, but I did try a set that a neighbor had in their garage that was very similar, and I have to say that I would go with the F&G "elevator" all day, every day over those dang ramps!

I had a hard time wrangling them around - I was in constant fear I would drop one on my foot, or pinch my fingers in the mechanism somehow (if it can be done, I will do it! LOL)

They just felt... unwieldy to me, if that makes sense.

The thing I like about F&G's "elevator" device (in addition to it's light weight) is that I can move it from car to car and no installation or special wiring is needed.

I don't have to worry about having someone along with me who can lift Figgy into and out of my car if I can't do it.

I don't have to worry about (potentially) tearing up my bumper, the rear seal on my back hatch, or Figgy sliding him up and over and into the car, or down and out of the car; so it protects my car, *and* my chair.

I know it's super spendy compared to a pair of ramps, but for me it's probably the best and safest solution, especially for solo travel. My hubs won't be retiring for several more years, and our (adult) daughter will (eventually) be moving for her job to California (although not until after July 1st now).

Because it's part of my F&G, I could put it in a suitcase or duffel by itself, or with other medical equipment/supplies, and it would fly for free on US airlines - allowing me to rent a "regular" SUV at any destination.

That's my thoughts on it - I know that you asked our friend @RaySharpton, and hopefully he will be along soon to share his insights! 🙂

I don't know if Ray ever got the ramps, but I did try a set that a neighbor had in their garage that was very similar, and I have to say that I would go with the F&G "elevator" all day, every day over those dang ramps!

I had a hard time wrangling them around - I was in constant fear I would drop one on my foot, or pinch my fingers in the mechanism somehow (if it can be done, I will do it! LOL)

They just felt... unwieldy to me, if that makes sense.

The thing I like about F&G's "elevator" device (in addition to it's light weight) is that I can move it from car to car and no installation or special wiring is needed.

I don't have to worry about having someone along with me who can lift Figgy into and out of my car if I can't do it.

I don't have to worry about (potentially) tearing up my bumper, the rear seal on my back hatch, or Figgy sliding him up and over and into the car, or down and out of the car; so it protects my car, *and* my chair.

I know it's super spendy compared to a pair of ramps, but for me it's probably the best and safest solution, especially for solo travel. My hubs won't be retiring for several more years, and our (adult) daughter will (eventually) be moving for her job to California (although not until after July 1st now).

Because it's part of my F&G, I could put it in a suitcase or duffel by itself, or with other medical equipment/supplies, and it would fly for free on US airlines - allowing me to rent a "regular" SUV at any destination.

That's my thoughts on it - I know that you asked our friend @RaySharpton, and hopefully he will be along soon to share his insights! 🙂
Thanks! It’s very helpful to hear other people’s experiences & thoughts. I did wonder how “unwieldy” those ramps might feel. 😬

I actually can lift 50#, but I shouldn’t bc it causes me lots of pain for several days after... and I need to be able to take care of my kiddos. I keep hoping that my doctors will find some way to get me back on my feet again; yet I don’t know what the future will hold & so it’s hard to know what to do/buy in the interim. (I have some autoimmune issues which will be with me for life, but some other problems that we’re hoping can be helped.) 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thanks! It’s very helpful to hear other people’s experiences & thoughts. I did wonder how “unwieldy” those ramps might feel. 😬

I actually can lift 50#, but I shouldn’t bc it causes me lots of pain for several days after... and I need to be able to take care of my kiddos. I keep hoping that my doctors will find some way to get me back on my feet again; yet I don’t know what the future will hold & so it’s hard to know what to do/buy in the interim. (I have some autoimmune issues which will be with me for life, but some other problems that we’re hoping can be helped.) 🤷🏻‍♀️

I get it - I'm basically in the same place. Currently on prescription NSAIDs for pain and inflammation stemming from multiple fractures of my lower back (on 3 separate instances, I slipped and fell on icy/slick surfaces, and my feet went straight out in front of me, so I sat down *hard* on my bottom). I also have a connective tissue disorder that causes all manner of issues that was finally diagnosed this year (after 30 years of telling different doctors that *something* was wrong...)

I am just trying to preserve every available moment I have left to stand/walk, and so I am very careful now about what I lift/carry and how I do that.

I get it - I'm basically in the same place. Currently on prescription NSAIDs for pain and inflammation stemming from multiple fractures of my lower back (on 3 separate instances, I slipped and fell on icy/slick surfaces, and my feet went straight out in front of me, so I sat down *hard* on my bottom). I also have a connective tissue disorder that causes all manner of issues that was finally diagnosed this year (after 30 years of telling different doctors that *something* was wrong...)

I am just trying to preserve every available moment I have left to stand/walk, and so I am very careful now about what I lift/carry and how I do that.
You absolutely get where I’m coming from!! I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with multiple falls and fractures on top of everything else! 😢 It’s all about preservation at this point. 🙏🏻

I will say that - depending on the *height* of the load floor of the SUV you are going to load into, you could - in theory - use a bumper protector (something similar to this or this) and lean the folded chair against it, and then using the bumper as a fulcrum, just pick up the chair at the wheels, and slide it in. F&G shows this in a video about "how to load". But... you have to have the strength to lever that chair up in there. I don't reliably have that at the moment, so that's one reason why I am so delighted to see the "elevator" solution 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!