Reconsidering Owner's Locker - what do you put in yours, and what are pros/cons?

kboo

DIS Veteran
So we've already taken 2 trips since we became DVC owners 18 months ago, and now have 5 trips lined up in the next 16 months...

("Hello, I am Kboo and I'm an addict...)

Some stays are at the Swan, some in studios, and some larger units. With this frequency of trips and 2 small kids, I am thinking that we may benefit from using an OL even though we have free checked bags with our airline of choice.

Some things I am thinking of:

ponchos
sweathshirts and other adult casual clothes (enough for 3 days, and then we could do laundry)
laundry detergent
toiletries
Disney stuff like ears, pins, etc.

The idea would be that at least the adults would bring minimal stuff on our flights, and then we could use small rollaboards for the kids' clothes and not have to check any luggage.

Although we initially bought DVC thinking we would go once a year, I think when the honeymoon period is over we will probably take 2 trips a year, 6-9 months apart.

What are your thoughts, and whether the moderate or premium plan makes the most sense?

(also, what would you pack if for studio stays? We plan on mostly being in 1BR and larger, but will have some hotel and studio stays as well)

Thanks!

We met an OL owner who has several lockers. They pack everything that they need at WDW and only bring a small carry-on when they vacation.

:earsboy: Bill

I don’t have an owners lockers, but this past trip I was thinking if I had one, I would put water shoes in it. We ran out to Walmart and bought some cheap ones, $5 per pair, but we threw them away at the end of the trip because we didn’t have room in our luggage. Would have been a perfect thing for a locker. I would also pack a stuffed animal and a blanket for curling up on the couch in.

The cons are its spectacularly expensive. $75 to join and then $105 a year for one visit. $27.50 for each additional visit.

That buys a lot of tat from walmart and simply bin. Or spend on baggage payments.

Simply cant justify it at that price.

However, I travel internationally. Always have baggage allowance and always hire a car.

Your usage might vary, but I certainly cant see a business case at all.

However I accept im in the minority.

A pool float (the one I like costs $30 so I don't want to rebuy it every time at WalMart :) )
Suntan lotion
Bubble bath
Pool bag
Rum!
Corkscrew
T shirts
Laundry detergent
Big thick robe!
Disney pins
Park bag
Waterproof wallet for water parks
Sweatshirt
Umbrella
Wine glass
Teva like shoes (mine are from ECCO, but you get the idea)
Spare socks

A

We visit numerous times a year and have just signed up last week for the Owner's Locker so we don't have to keep lugging around stuff we always bring back in forth or discard. Being a DVC member we received the following offer:

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/special/owners-locker/

As a Disney Vacation Club® Member you get:

One Time membership fee waved (normally $75)
First six months are completely FREE
Second six months are half price - just $5.25 per month
After the first year, the locker is only $10.50 per month
Storage in our climate controlled warehouse
One FREE round trip visit per year
(Additional round trip visits are $27.50 each for your first locker, $13.75 for each additional locker)
A Special Edition blue locker

Last edited:
We have been members since Beta testing and now have 2 lockers.

Here are some of our basics:

Butcher and Paring knife.
S&P
Pizza cutter
Plastic cups
Insulated coffee cups with lids
Paper plates
Coffee filters
Sweetener packets
Napkins
Scissors

Games
Cards
Dice
Crossword puzzle book
Pens
Sharpie Markers

Sunscreen
Peppermint foot lotion
Aleve
Rolaids
Aloe Vera lotion

Bleach tablets
Laundry soap
Softener Sheets

Flip flops
Pool Bag
Sunglasses
Water Guns
Diving Sticks
Winter hats
Gloves
Pin lanyards
Caribiners
Batteries
Water Bottle holders

At one point we had our matching t-shirts in there, but we had to pull them out to make room for other supplies.

This is just a very small list of what we have in ours.

The water at WDW is nasty so we have a Brita in ours. We have scissors, knives, ponchos, umbrellas, laundry bag, detergent, and laundry soap. We have A Keurig. Whiskey! Sun block and spices. Life is good with our OL!

Don’t keep sunscreen in there unless you’re going before the bottle expires. I’ve gotten a nasty sunburn from expired sunscreen!!

Magicbands.
Bandages and moleskin.
Tightly sealed hydrogen peroxide
Coffee filters.
Scissors
Knife
Reusable mugs for room-made coffee or for paying to have the mug renewed at the resort
Disposable cups bc sometimes that’s what works
Aloe
Detergent (got tired of wasting resources by buying a new bottle each time)
A variety of other things I can’t recall.

For me the money is for hassle-reduction and for waste-reduction. Having to remember to bring the coffee filters each time, or buying a new package of them, got old. Same for bandages. Etc.

The kicker makes things easier, and having an easier life is worth paying a bit for.

However I cannot quite imagine paying for all those roundtrips for 5 trips in a year. For me it’s good for once a year.

We are appx 4, 4 night one bedroom stayers per year. We do WDW/DVC much the same as say a Kiawah Island VRBO stay - that is we move in and live like home. So ours has a number of cooking items - knives, pealer, corkscrew, spices, vinegars, oils and creature comforts - candles, Bluetooth speaker, nice wine glasses, coffee mugs (Minnie/Mickey of course), and practical items as discussed- sunscreen, bandaids, neosporin etc. I would say ours is all about setting up home, somewhat about convenience, somewhat about waste prevention as we store any non perishable leftover food/drink items as practical for next time.

We are in our first year with the deal shown above. We will be close to considering the unlimited for the next year so some math will ensue prior to renewal. It’s a luxury type spend for sure but so far no regrets for us - less than 1 signature dinner with wine. Their service -drop it as requested, pick it up as requested, answer their phone and give courteous information has been 100% satisfactory.

With the DVC promo it's not terrible, but at full price I think it's kind of hard to justify with the delivery fees. In general I think it's cheaper to just get an airline credit card for free checked baggage and have a suitcase of "DVC stuff" that you leave in it all the time.

We've been members for a few years and have two lockers. I love not having to lug everything from home when we go - and we go about 3 times a year.

Here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

Alcohol
plastic plates, bowls, and cups
electric griddle
pancake mix and syrup
snacks (chips, mixed nuts, etc)
portable water bottles
Mickey ears/hats
pins
lanyards
magic band pucks to change puck color
first aid kit
shampoo/conditioner
Gold Bond and Body Glide (chafing is no fun!)
sun hats
sunscreen
antacids
cold meds (someone always gets sick while we are away)
contact solution/lens cases
ponytail holders/bobby pins
aspirin/ibuprofen
glade plug ins
room deodorizer
laundry pods/softener sheets/color catchers
dishwasher pods
inflatable pool noodles
scissors
cork screw
silverware
measuring cup

I know there's more but that's most of the basics.

Have had ours for close to ten years. I say this all the time when this subject comes up but the yearly cost of the locker is less than I pay for a sit down dinner for the four of us (now that my kids are teens it's not much more than a quick service meal!). It's a convenience I like having.

We go once a year generally. I can fly down with only carry on if I choose. I have every toiletry imaginable (all full size) in there plus things like a skinny brita pitcher, a mini keurig, full size beach towels (might bring these home this year though), four ponchos, a bag to bring to the pool, cords for our phones etc. We keep a spreadsheet with everything listed including their expiration dates and refill as needed. When the kids were small I kept all their light spinners,fans, hats and such in there.

I've only done one studio stay in the time I've had it and that was last summer. The only thing I added to my box was a pop up hamper. I got one with handles so I could shlep it down to the laundry.

How does it work with OL if you have a split stay? Will they drop it off at one resort and pick it up at another resort within the same week? (We would have car and could transport from one room to other). I.e. drop off at OKW and week later pick up at BLT.

Also will OL drop off at any Disney resort? It doesn’t just have to be DVC? Would they drop off/pick up at CBR?

Thanks. In same situation as OP in that reconsidering it. :)

How does it work with OL if you have a split stay? Will they drop it off at one resort and pick it up at another resort within the same week? (We would have car and could transport from one room to other). I.e. drop off at OKW and week later pick up at BLT.

Also will OL drop off at any Disney resort? It doesn’t just have to be DVC? Would they drop off/pick up at CBR?

We have a split stay coming up next month that involves 3 different resorts. Our plan is to have Bell Services handle the transfers along with our luggage/carry-ons and cold items in fridge.

Yes, bell services will take it in the luggage transfer.

OL has a list on their website of the hotels they deliver to, a few years ago I had mine delivered to Royal Pacific at Universal.

OL has a list on their website of the hotels they deliver to, a few years ago I had mine delivered to Royal Pacific at Universal.

Thanks. And if you do the split stay with start one resort end different resort OL is good with that and it still just counts as one round trip visit correct?

Liquor
Shampoo/conditioner
deodorant, tooth paste, small toiletry items (the OL includes a neat little divider/container tray)
laundry detergent
more liquor
coffee, coffee filters
1 or 2 L of bottled water for coffee
ponchos
change of clothes/underwear (packed in ziploc bag for odor purposes)
meclizine, other emergency travel meds
extra magic bands
salt, pepper, etc.
extra chargers for phones/ipads

And I guess now with the plastic ban I'll throw in a bag of straws (I'm sorry environment... I have sensitive teeth).

We did the DVC promo last year and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the promo is for the standard plan only (1 'free' visit, and a charge for any others) and we have def exceeded our visits. Will likely try the unlimited plan next year, but will be taking the following year off. Does anyone know what we do with the lockers when we're done? Just bring them home with us on a road trip visit?

Edited to add - it really does add to the 'home away from home' vibe. Can't hurt to give it a try :)

Yep, I had it delivered to the Caribe Royale for a work conference. Their bell services didn't know what the heck I was talking about when asking for an Owner's Locker though, lol. Big blue box seemed to work ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter