Reconsidering Owner's Locker - what do you put in yours, and what are pros/cons?

So we've already taken 2 trips since we became DVC owners 18 months ago, and now have 5 trips lined up in the next 16 months...

("Hello, I am Kboo and I'm an addict...)

Some stays are at the Swan, some in studios, and some larger units. With this frequency of trips and 2 small kids, I am thinking that we may benefit from using an OL even though we have free checked bags with our airline of choice.

Some things I am thinking of:

ponchos
sweathshirts and other adult casual clothes (enough for 3 days, and then we could do laundry)
laundry detergent
toiletries
Disney stuff like ears, pins, etc.

The idea would be that at least the adults would bring minimal stuff on our flights, and then we could use small rollaboards for the kids' clothes and not have to check any luggage.

Although we initially bought DVC thinking we would go once a year, I think when the honeymoon period is over we will probably take 2 trips a year, 6-9 months apart.

What are your thoughts, and whether the moderate or premium plan makes the most sense?

(also, what would you pack if for studio stays? We plan on mostly being in 1BR and larger, but will have some hotel and studio stays as well)

Thanks!

DVC for 25 years - just signed up for OL. My list also includes pool shoes - and scissors, OTC drugs - sure, I can get to Walmart but it's nice to have at least a dose or two in the room for whatever - alcohol - we buy it every trip but do not drink it all. Tweezers, file, pop-up hamper, hand cream, good crushed pepper, olive oil - just stuff we buy but don't use or have to carry every single time. I plan to store unused shampoo and conditioner, etc...

One of the fees was waived for DVC owners.

With the DVC promo it's not terrible, but at full price I think it's kind of hard to justify with the delivery fees. In general I think it's cheaper to just get an airline credit card for free checked baggage and have a suitcase of "DVC stuff" that you leave in it all the time.

Not having to worry if certain items are lost and the time to replace them is worth the promo cost vs the stress for me. And we almost always fly SWA - free luggage.

Bras - I wear one kind. Would be freaking miserable if I couldn't find replacements and just plain aggravated if I had to go seek them out at a store. Cannot wait to leave two in the bin in case my luggage is lost or I spaz and forget to put a few in my carry-on.

Last edited:
Thanks. And if you do the split stay with start one resort end different resort OL is good with that and it still just counts as one round trip visit correct?

Yes because the OL people are only dropping and picking up once. It's Disney who does the transfers via bell services once you're onsite.

We debated it and decided against it because of cost. I didn’t know about the promo. I now need to discuss with DH again because of the promo since we have 3 more trips planned in the next 12 months. I also think we are financially fatigued from all the DVC purchases. Good news is that we’re in the process of selling one, so that will help the fatigue quite a bit! Good luck with the decision! :)

We had one for a few years and there is no denying it was very convenient. But when all of the airlines went crazy with baggage fees and what not, we started driving which cancelled the need for the locker since we could pack everything in the trunk of our car. I will say, it wasn't easy to cancel our service, it required multiple emails and phone calls, but in the end it got taken care of.

How does it work with OL if you have a split stay? Will they drop it off at one resort and pick it up at another resort within the same week? (We would have car and could transport from one room to other). I.e. drop off at OKW and week later pick up at BLT.

Also will OL drop off at any Disney resort? It doesn’t just have to be DVC? Would they drop off/pick up at CBR?

Thanks. In same situation as OP in that reconsidering it. :)

We did a Disney cruise last year with a stay the weekend before and after at different resorts. We were able to have bell services transfer our lockers to the second resort and they stored it for us while we were on the cruise.

Last edited:
We love our OL! For us the fee is worth it because we just don't want to lug all that stuff back & forth each trip. We always fly SW so there are no baggage fees but we just don't need the aggravation of dealing with it. Besides, SW could change that at any time. For me & DW we fly with a small carry-on each, fits underneath the seat in front of us with plenty of room to spare.

We have clothes in our OL along with various bathroom supplies, some kitchen items, and if there's any alcohol left from our trip, into the locker it goes. We're big fans:earsboy:

We have our own version...we call it the "Disney Box". It's a wheeled foot-locker from Walmart (lockable) and we treat it like an OL. Keep it stocked with toiletries and sundries we need on every trip and we never need to waste suitcase space to pack and unpack. We drive so it just goes in the trunk with us. We have a medicine box in it that has my supply of scopolamine patches and every OTC med one might conceivably need, Bandaids, moleskin, anti-chafe gel, sunscreen, aloe, moisturizer, foot balm for late night foot massages, shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste and brushes, pool noodles and pool towels, brita pitcher, plates, cups, water shoes, magic bands, our park bag, charger cords, q-tips, razors, sewing kit, scissors, toe nail clippers, egg poacher, boxes of drink mix to add to bottled water, ponchos, deodorant, face wash, tweezers, a sling bag, etc.

Love ours and had it since OL asked for volunteers to try it out!
We keep all of our toiletries, toothbrushes & paste, full size shampoo/conditioners, soap, tweezers, clippers, scissors, etc,. Coffee filters, salt & pepper, foil, real forks, knives, and spoons, cups and plates for studio stays, pj's, umbrella, rain ponchos, laundry soap, toilet paper, my hairdryer, liquor. The list goes on and on. Each year I add to it and throw some items away or give away to staff if they want it.
It allows us to pack light.

Edited : I travel with a couple of sizes of zip ties in my luggage and many times I've had to use them to lock up our locker due to reopening to add items. OL gives you two sets, but we usually move and use them up. Zip ties and a small amount of duct tape when traveling come in handy.

Last edited:
We have a crock pot, a real frying pan, and other kitchen gadgets and spices. Christmas ornaments for the windows. We like doing some meals in the room, so the crock pot comes in handy. The usual Disney stuff, ponchos and those light up spinning toys.

Thanks for all the responses! We don't usually have to pay baggage fees for checked luggage, but it's more the (in)convenience of dealing with larger luggage when traveling with 2 little kids. We'll always have somewhat substantial carry ons because they'll outgrow any kids' clothes we would think of putting in our OL, but at least storing the adults' clothes, and gadgets, toiletries, medicines, etc would save us the hassle and delay of having to check luggage.

We have a crock pot, a real frying pan, and other kitchen gadgets and spices. Christmas ornaments for the windows. We like doing some meals in the room, so the crock pot comes in handy. The usual Disney stuff, ponchos and those light up spinning toys.

Love ours and had it since OL asked for volunteers to try it out!
We keep all of our toiletries, toothbrushes & paste, full size shampoo/conditioners, soap, tweezers, clippers, scissors, etc,. Coffee filters, salt & pepper, foil, real forks, knives, and spoons, cups and plates for studio stays, pj's, umbrella, rain ponchos, laundry soap, toilet paper, my hairdryer, liquor. The list goes on and on. Each year I add to it and throw some items away or give away to staff if they want it.
It allows us to pack light.

Edited : I travel with a couple of sizes of zip ties in my luggage and many times I've had to use them to lock up our locker due to reopening to add items. OL gives you two sets, but we usually move and use them up. Zip ties and a small amount of duct tape when traveling come in handy.

We have several studio or hotel room stays coming up (4 out of our next 5 stays), so as far as kitchen-type gadgets or small appliances goes, is there anything in particular you'd recommend? I could see us doing some quick breakfasts in the room, so real utensils and plates are a must.

Just reviewed our inventory (when you get OL you manage your inventory on-line) and the only kitchen related items were aluminum foil, sandwich bags, chip clips, corkscrew, and some flatware that we like to use. We mostly have clothing in our OL.:)

We had one for a few years and there is no denying it was very convenient. But when all of the airlines went crazy with baggage fees and what not, we started driving which cancelled the need for the locker since we could pack everything in the trunk of our car. I will say, it wasn't easy to cancel our service, it required multiple emails and phone calls, but in the end it got taken care of.
I agree with the ‘hard to cancel’. I briefly had a second one and it took perseverance to cancel it.

I make 3 visits in a typical year. I have sandals, sneakers, a rain slicker, toiletries of all kinds, shirts, shorts, PJs, sweatshirt, ziploc bags, chargers, etc. I can actually use only a carryon for my trips now but I usually check it anyway since I use DME.

We go to Disney about 3 times a year and just this year became DVC owners. We did get a locker and may go for a second. In ours so far we have:
air bed (my son does not like sharing a bed with his sister)
sheets for airbed
sunscreen
shampoo/conditioner
toothbrushes/toothpaste
ponchos
wine glasses
various other toiletries
salt/pepper
scissors
other kitchen items

I will say, it wasn't easy to cancel our service, it required multiple emails and phone calls, but in the end it got taken care of.

I agree with the ‘hard to cancel’. I briefly had a second one and it took perseverance to cancel it.

Have you all seen the Seinfeld episode when they try to quit the gym? That's all I am picturing right now. :tongue:

We just have an "extra" suitcase packed with items that most of you report that you use the locker for. We fly S/W so we each get 2 free bags. We never come close to that, I don't think we have that many suitcases, as we tend to go with 5+ people. Just can't see paying $125 for the locker, not even sure it's worth it for free, as DME brings the bags to our room for free. And we can bring fresh items each trip.

We just have an "extra" suitcase packed with items that most of you report that you use the locker for. We fly S/W so we each get 2 free bags. We never come close to that, I don't think we have that many suitcases, as we tend to go with 5+ people. Just can't see paying $125 for the locker, not even sure it's worth it for free, as DME brings the bags to our room for free. And we can bring fresh items each trip.

We usually have free checked bags as well, but our main issue is wrangling luggage and little kids. Even reducing the number of suitcases makes a difference, just getting to the airport, etc. And lately we've been spending a fair amount of time at the Swolphin, (and/or leaving later in the day and don't want to leave for the airport 4 hours early) so not always taking DME.

If luggage isn't lost
If DME doesn't ship to airport too early (twice during snow in N.E. stranding our friends 2 adults; 2 kids without supplies after flights cancelled Hours spent on phone with DME and airline trying to locate )
If DME isn't late delivering

This is something I often consider but then wonder if it's really worth it. For those of you who keep toiletries or alcohol in it...those things eventually run out. How do you handle replacing them? We use Garden Grocer on each trip, but their prices don't exactly make sense for stocking up. We do not want to take the time out on a vacation to go to Walmart to refill the bin. There are other things, like umbrellas and pool items I could definitely prefer to leave behind in a bin, but again, not sure it's worth the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts