Recording devices in Rental Homes?

mshrm

Mouseketeer
I noticed on another post that someone mentioned that owners sometimes put cameras on their rentals. I was surprised to read that but now Im curious. Im planning to rent a large home in the Soltera Resort and I want to know if I should expect to be recorded? If yes will it be in my contract? What is Florida law on video/audio recording.

Is this common in FL? What is done with the recordings/streams and how is used?

Lots of owners have CCTV cameras installed ....... NOT INSIDE the Homes .

Usually pointed at front door ...... to observe .. who is around & HOW MANY GUESTS are

Actually staying in villa & If they have " Pets " with them .

Also Cameras are focused on Pool Equipment ..... NOT POOL AREA ...to see if there is Tampering with equipment.

This CCTV cameras are Viewed by owners from Overseas or in other parts of USA .

I'm sure it's for outdoor purposes, as mentioned above. I'm sure you could Google the laws regarding recording indoors, though I'd suppose there has to be some kind of notice. Otherwise, guess the cameras may have caught some interesting things in our rentals... :rolleyes1

I guess I wouldnt mind an outdoor camera. A google search wasnt a good idea there are several lawsuits people have filed for being recorded both audio and visual in the Orlando area. I just figured if it was a common issue or problem the people here at the Dis would know. Florida Law seems ambiguous because indoor hidden cameras are allowed. However an outdoor hidden camera requires a posted notice.

No its true. Indoor recording is allowed in Florida and often comes in some form of "nanny cam". However places that you would have "reasonable expectation of privacy" such as a bathroom is off limits.

No its true. Indoor recording is allowed in Florida and often comes in some form of "nanny cam". However places that you would have "reasonable expectation of privacy" such as a bathroom is off limits.

If this is True Then any Guest staying in ANY property be it Hotels ,Condos & Villas owned by Disney & All other Chain Hotels

AND every Villa owner Would have Massive Cancelations OR PROVIDE a Security Screening Service to

SWEEP the rooms clear of Recording Devices

WOULD you Stay in a place KNOWING that their was a Camera INSIDE the BUILDING ?

Yes, it's true. And the law is the owner, be it a hotel, condo, villa owned by Disney or other hotel chain must post a notice that there is a camera inside the building. So if there is no posted notice then there is no hidden camera inside the building. Of course people break laws - that's why when searching one can find lawsuits.

My Uncle owns a vacation rental property in Florida - he has outside cameras and two in the kitchen. The camera inside isn't hidden and there are several posted notices. He says the cameras have almost completely stopped theft and damage.

Good to know. Can't say I'm a fan of having cameras inside (although I understand why it might be done) but at least it must be explicitly stated, and that there's recourse for the renter if it is not.

I agree. If I knew there was a camera inside the home/condo/etc., I would be very comfortable about the idea of being watched. Outside is a great security measure.

StageTek said it had to be posted. I could not find that in my research. The only law I found said that outside cameras had to be posted. Nanny cams are legal in Florida and do not have to be posted.

StageTek said it had to be posted. I could not find that in my research. The only law I found said that outside cameras had to be posted. Nanny cams are legal in Florida and do not have to be posted.
I'll ask my uncle for a link. Perhaps it isn't state law. We're talking a rental property not a private home. The "nanny cam" law is (I suspect) for private homes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!