Recurring Dreams

For the past 2 years, every single night as I try to fall asleep I dream that someone is trying to kill me. For a very long time it was smothering/suffocating. Then it shifted to being pushed off of a cliff, down a staircase or in front of a train. Lately it’s that I’m being beaten with a shovel. Very violent and graphic nightmare! Each night I gasp awake in horror and have a very hard time getting back to sleep.
I’m tired all the time.

I think I might take a sleeping aid or talk to someone

I don’t have the same dream, but I will have dreams that take place in the same nonexistent location and sometimes I will even think to myself in the dream that I have been there before or even that I have dreamed I have been there before.

I have had the teeth falling out dream, and when I looked it up in a dream book it said that dream is usually related to health issues. I haven’t paid enough attention to notice if I was sick when I had it though. I have only had it a couple times and I am generally pretty healthy.

In times when I am worried or stressed about something, I used to have one particular dream.

I was back in the child care center and had the kids outside. For some reason it’s just me and no other adults. The kids are all running around and I am trying to get them inside. It’s like chasing chickens! I am just running around calling out names and saying “let’s go in” and the kids act like they can’t hear me!

Now that dream has changed. It’s dd’s wedding day and it’s all the adults that won’t cooperate!

When I was young I had a recurring dream I was playing baseball and got a hit but couldn't run down to first base.

When I was older I had a recurring dream that I showed up for my income tax final exam and hadn't been to class all semester.

After my Dad died I had a recurring dream that he had come back and I was so happy to see him and we were visiting, but he had to leave.

The last few years I have a dream that I'm going somewhere to have fun and I can't quite get there. Like we're in Orlando driving to WDW and we keep missing the exit, or the road is blocked and we have to take a detour, etc.

I'm sure the answer to all of these dreams is I'm a psycho.

I have recurrent dreams about missing or nearly missing a flight. Strangely it is always a flight on a small plane and leaving from an antiquated small airport with a long hallway and a locked door. I just had this dream a few days ago. I was late leaving my office at a job I left a few years ago. I was late for the flight, wasted time looking inside my carryons and actually left my purse on the other side of the locked door.

I woke up stressed.

So, when I was very little I did have nightmares with recurring "monsters" in them. The situations were always different, but the bad guys were consistent. I don't know where it all came from. I say "monsters" because two of them were just people, but they would come out of the same area of the house and they were out to get me. One of them came up through the toilet, so I would be freaked out to go in the bathroom sometimes, or would run away very fast. In the dreams I'd always freeze, and that's how they were going to get me. Most of the dreams took place right in the house, so I was very wary of certain areas.

My worst recurring dream is the one about my teeth falling out. I hear that is fairly common, but I do not know what it means.
In dream world, teeth falling out typically means that there will be a death. My sister swears by this because everytime she has dreamt of teeth, someone in our family dies shortly after. Me, im not sure what to believe to be honest. It could just mean that you grind your teeth at night, as another poster mentioned. Lol!

I have TWO recurring dreams. I still have them!

1) I constantly dream that my son has been kidnapped. Im always frantic trying to look for him. Only one dream did i stay asleep long enough to dream that i found him lol.

2) I constantly dream about demons/devils and my house being haunted. its so creepy because it feels real. :eek:

In dream world, teeth falling out typically means that there will be a death. My sister swears by this because everytime she has dreamt of teeth, someone in our family dies shortly after. Me, im not sure what to believe to be honest. It could just mean that you grind your teeth at night, as another poster mentioned. Lol!

I hope it does not mean a pending death. :eek:

I am hoping for grinding teeth because I catch myself doing that during the daytime when I am awake.

In high school I had a recurring, serial dream. I called it "The House the Sun Controlled." Basically I was caught in a house that was controlled by the sun- locks, windows, doors, appliances, lights, etc., were all functional or not based on the sun. When I was dreaming, I'd remember what happened to me "last time" (in the last dream) and use that information to help in whatever situation I found myself in the current episode. I can't remember when the dream stopped, but I don't recall it ever being resolved.

I also used to have a dream that I was in trouble and couldn't dial the phone (yes, this WAS awhile ago!). I'd be trying to make a call because of a drastic situation and discover that the dial was warped and I couldn't use any numbers greater than 6. It was awful. Oddly enough, that dream came true. It was February, I got out of school late, and it was cold and dark... and my car wouldn't start. I tried to call my mom to come get me, and discovered that the only pay phone on campus had a warped dial and I couldn't dial any number greater than 6!! I called a friend whose number was formed of digits between 1 and 5 and had her call my mom. I never had the dream again after this happened in real life!

I also used to dream that I could fly. I know exactly how I did it, how to lean, what muscles to use, how to tilt my body to make it happen. I can still make those same moves, except of course I can't really fly.

If you've read some of my posts on other threads, you'll know that I have had 2 major events happen in the past 8 months: My MIL, to whom I was very close and loved with all my heart, died on Thanksgiving, and my DD is getting married on SUNDAY!! TWO DAYS!! Anyhow, about 3 months ago I had a dream that we were all in our rental home, getting ready for the wedding. My siblings, my DH's siblings, DD and her fiancee... everyone was here getting ready for DD's wedding the next day. I walked down the hallway and there was my MIL! She and I talked about all sorts of things, including her final illness, and at one point I reached out to hug her and she said, "Don't touch me; if you touch me I have to leave." We talked some more, and I was so filled with love and comforted by her presence. We laughed and I reached out to touch her arm- and she disappeared, and I woke up. I am pretty solidly rooted, don't believe in afterlife or spirits or anything, but this really moved me and comforted me, and I can't help but think that she really came to visit me. I still miss her so much ( and it's heartbreaking that she's not here for DD's wedding).

I use to have one about King Kong coming from the empty field behind our house. I was always stuck in the indecesion of should I go in the house and be crushed or stay outside where he might see me and step on me or, conversely, not see me and step on me :)

As I got older I always had nightmares at/about my Grandmother's house. Always very scary, creepy things going on around my Great-Grandmother's bedroom or the attic. I had read that you always went to the place you were happy to fight your inner demons :) Don't know about that but I spent some wonderful times at my Grandmothers. One of my favorite places!
My childhood nightmares were dominated by King Kong (he was skulking right outside the house and occasionally looking through the windows) and Tik Tok and his crocodile buddies chasing me and my father. We would grab a high tree limb at the last moment and they would tumble into a moat. When King Kong wasn’t looking through a window I could sometimes see his spine as he skulked around under the windows.

There was also an evil monkey that lived under my bed and my father made me traverse a dark corridor and enter a dark bedroom and go to bed by myself. Fortunately the monkey nor King Kong nor the crocs ever got me. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!