• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Red hats and purple shirts?

TLinden16

Scotty and Ray at Jelly Rolls are the best!
In the past few weeks, I've been hearing about these groups of women who get together and they wear red hats and purple shirts. There is a story or a poem behind it, but I can't seem to find it. I saw a group of about a dozen woman in red hats and purple shirts walking in Boston today. Does anyone know the story or poem behind this? I'm just curious.

Karen

"Warning --When I am an Old Woman"
by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
with a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin sandals, and say we have no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick flowers from other people's gardens,
and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible suits and grow fat
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
or only bread and pickles for a week,
and hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But meanwhile we must stay respectable
and must not shame the children; they mind more,
even than we do, being noticable.

We will keep dry with sensible clothes
and spend according to good value,
and do what's best to bring the best for us
and for our children.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised when suddenly I am old and start to wear purple.

There was a big group of about 20 or so eating at the GF back in March when we were there.

My favorite Aunt who is the youngest 80 year old I know (she still plays 18 holes several times a week) is a member of one of these groups, and has been for over 20 years. I was recently able to visit her and we were looking at all the pictures she has from all the meetings she's been to over the years. They have a blast! She has quite a collection of Red hats and Purple shirts. They have actually planned trips around places where they can purchase new Red Hats :D

I went to a Bridal shower and some of the ladies were talking about this. I can't remember what it was called though.

The Red Hat Society I think....

I believe they are all over the place....

LOL. Oh that is a clever name. And I believe you are right.:D

Thanks for posting the poem, Princess Michelle. I saw them when I was waiting for the bus last night, and we were all talking about it the entire ride home.

Karen

Its a club called the Red Hat Society. My mom is a member and they have chapters all over the country, If anyone is interested they have a web site that helps people get clubs started. I think you have to be 50 and you wear red hats and purple dresses to your meetings. They have lunch out and take little local field trips. My mom loves it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter