Red Tide-algae bloom??? Florida residents

kandb

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW for 8 nights BUT before have a 4 night reservation in Clearwater, FL. We plan to arrive in Clearwater on 8/11 thru 8/15. I just read about a lot of issues on the golf coast and how it can affect humans. My son has a pre-asthma condition and now I am worried about going to the beach in Clearwater. Maybe I should try and switch to the East coast? Anyone know about this issue? Thanks for any help.

I just came back from there yesterday and I didn't notice anything unusual. We swam in the ocean all day. I live in FL and haven't heard anything about what you are talking about, so no reason to change plans.

We go to the gulf coast often and you really don’t want to be there during red tide. We don’t have asthma and were coughing/tearing when we experienced just the beginning of it 2 years ago. I have only been following Sarasota so I’m not sure if Clearwater is affected but you can look it up online by area. I would maybe consider switching if it doesn’t improve, even if you just stay at the pool the air can affect you. We are supposed to be going to the gulf coast the same time as you in August after our WDW trip.

Last edited:
Our neighbors returned last week. They came home two days early because their children had issues. They were just below Clearwater but they said most of the gulf coast has problems with red tide. Check Suncoast news or the MOTE site.

Thank you for the information. I switched to New Smyrna beach on the east coast. I don't want to have issues and didn't want to wait to the last minute to change. We will be arriving in 9 days. I am glad I changed.

Last edited:
I just came back from there yesterday and I didn't notice anything unusual. We swam in the ocean all day. I live in FL and haven't heard anything about what you are talking about, so no reason to change plans.

I'm surprised because I have seen it on the news here in NJ. Many dead marine life washing onto the shores, manatees, sea turtles, fish etc. It's terrible.

Wow, we have been hearing about it here in NJ but doesn't seem like people from Florida were hearing about it??? That's strange. I think it started in October and is getting worse and won't go away.

Sadly this is not fake news. I wish it was as I work on Siesta Key and this does mess with our economy. I hate writing this because our beaches are, in my opinion, the most beautiful in Florida but with your trip coming up so soon I think you did the right thing by moving it over to the Atlantic coast. Hopefully, this bloom is over soon.

I am surprised that this. Is there anyway to stop it? I saw on an advertisement about Exxon is finding a way to use algae into petroleum, could that help?

Sadly this is not fake news. I wish it was as I work on Siesta Key and this does mess with our economy. I hate writing this because our beaches are, in my opinion, the most beautiful in Florida but with your trip coming up so soon I think you did the right thing by moving it over to the Atlantic coast. Hopefully, this bloom is over soon.
I have seen this on the National News recently. A Hotel Manager was interviewed in Sanibel and he said that hotel bookings were down significantly, more than when major hurricanes are announced and the BP Oil Spill. The National News said that it was the worst in decades. The news said particularly bad from Sanibel up through Siesta Key. Years ago, we vacationed a few times on Siesta Key and I just loved the beaches there; I hope that it is over very soon! :goodvibes

Thank you for the information. I switched to New Smyrna beach on the east coast. I don't want to have issues and didn't want to wait to the last minute to change. We will be arriving in 9 days. I am glad I changed.
Hope that you have a great trip!:thumbsup2

do not allow your son in the ocean - there have been rip tides most of the summer - ask a life guard (or you can look at the flag) before you let him swim.

think you are wise too - changing is definitely better than being sick.

the red tide has been on Orlando TV for about a week.

We are currently trying to change our plans as we are due to arrive on AMI on Saturday. We fly into Tampa so wondering if venturing to the east coast for a few days then finding a resort in Orlando is worth it or what we should do. Unfortunately, we have a rental and the rental agencies are not being lenient with rebooking right now.

Fake News
Fake news I wish. I live in what I would consider the epicenter of it. I'm surrounded by that and the Algae bloom that's coming from Lake O and killing all of our sealife.
I sincerely hope you were trying to make light of a horrible situation down here. I'm in SW FL, Lee County to be exact. Just check any of our local news sites, even FOX4, I understand that FOX is the real thing for news ;)

Winknews.com
Nbc-2.com
Fox4now.com
Fake News

Last edited:
We are currently trying to change our plans as we are due to arrive on AMI on Saturday. We fly into Tampa so wondering if venturing to the east coast for a few days then finding a resort in Orlando is worth it or what we should do. Unfortunately, we have a rental and the rental agencies are not being lenient with rebooking right now.

If you have someone in your family with asthma or any lung issue, I can't see them denying you to cancel. They say anyone with lung problems should not be on the west coast. TBH, even if anyone in my family didn't have lung issues I would not be there, breathing in toxic air. No thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter