Reflections on my anniversary

SunFloridaDisney

3 of my favorite things<br><font color=red>I'll pr
Today is my 26th wedding anniversary.

Bear with me, as a self-designated 'CSP' I just has some things I had to express, even though I don’t do it very well.

I’m so grateful that I’ve had 26 years with my dh, he really is a dear. Every year I get sentimental and look back at all we've been through.

Particularly today I’m feeling emotional because last night I finally had the chance to watch Brokeback Mountain. (I don’t go to the movies often, and DD brought a copy home from the library where she works.)
Very, very good film, loved the scenery and the quality of the actors. I cried a lot, and felt sad, angry, a wide range of emotions.

I was struck with the injustice that even as late as 1980 when I got married, relationships had to fit a certain ‘approved standard’. How many other couples are celebrating 26 years today but can’t do so openly or with the love and support of their family and friends because they’re regarded as different, or ‘less than’ in some way, for arbitrary reasons.

Mostly I’ve had a chance to reflect on the changes in society over the years since I was a child, how things are different, but how much still needs to be done. Why today, in this country, can’t two people who love each other be legally joined because of someone else’s ideas of what is right. Why change has to come about so slowly, and why one group at a time. In my own lifetime way back, it was illegal in some places for example, for a black and a white person to marry. It took a lot of upheaval to change that, now we go on to the next thing. Why does every change have to be so much trouble and turmoil?? Why can’t we just live and let live? :confused3

I’ve tried very hard to raise my 4 kids to be loving and open to all people, to see them as people, not just some category we place them in, as was the case when I was growing up in the 60's and early 70's.

Finally, I’m hopeful that we are going in the right direction, and I’m more committed to helping be a positive force to promote freedom and love for all.

Sorry for rambling, thanks for reading. :sunny:

Congratulations
My partner and I just celebrated our 24th on the 11th.
Frankly admitting it makes me feel so old.
I was a child bride!

Nice post, FloridaSunDisney, and happy anniversary. I agree that prejudice is hard to understand, that change is painfully slow and that a "live and let live" attitude would make the world vastly safer for all. Let's drink to the positive changes we can look forward to.

Homophobia is no doubt based in part in cultural and religious teaching, in unquestioned disgust reactions, in a human tendency to view the world in terms of "us and them" (we are very tribal animals), in lack of sexual self-acceptance, and in irrational fear. I think another key cause is misogyny. One message board I read had a very thought-provoking post from a woman who argued that it is based in men's fear of rape.

Congrats to you too wallyb.

Interesting ideas, Mama Twinkles.

Thanks, StormTigger. :sunny:

SunFloridaDisney---Great post! I've been wanting to see this movie..I know I'd feel the same as you..

wallyb--I{ahem} was also a child bride{ahem}

Congrats to both of you! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter