Reflux

dajula

Earning My Ears
I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome approx ten years ago. For the past month I have been pretty ill. Started out with constipation, and ended up with the inside of my throat burning, right side of chest feeling tight, a cough, and even burning sensation in my nose. This also lead to a difficulty in swallowing, dry mouth. I had an upper GI last week and they said I have really bad reflux coming up fairly high into my esophagus. They put me on prilosec twice a day. I am doing some better, but still having off and on issues with dry mouth, swallowing, and feeling pressure in the esophagus from the food moving down. Anyone else ever have these problems from reflux. Please share any advice or stories you may have. I have to admit I have never been sick like this before, and find it very scarey. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Hi....I live with reflux. I actually had my gall bladder taken out to find out the pain I was having was truly reflux....too bad the doctors did not know.

Anyway.. I have tried all the drugs to control reflux and the one that works best for me is Nexium.. Once on that, I never have any of the symptoms you are experiencing... Now the insurance companies do not like to pay for Nexium as it is the most expensive one so they may make you go through all the others to see if they work for you before they will approve Nexium.....which is what I had to do when we changed insurance companies once my husband was no longer working.

So... if Prilosec does not work, just keep accurate records and they may make you try Protonix or Zantac, and they may work for you, but if they do not remember that Nexium is the one that usually stops the reflux.

Also.... you will know what food will trigger your pain so please be careful. I have been doing this for over 10 years, I wish I have not, but I have, so if I can answer any questions, I am here. My pain is in the middle of my chest....I do occasionally have dryness in my mouth, I assumed from the Nexium, I did not have the swallowing issues but I do know it is all part of the reflux thing.

Hugs...

Thank you for the info. I have an appointment with Gastro this AM. Hopefully we can work on getting some answers. I will ask about the Nexium. I will do just about anything to get better about now.

Sorry you're suffering so! I was diagnosed with IBS and reflux years ago too. The reflux got worse when we were planning our wedding and my throat was terribly sore. My gastro prescribed Prevacid and I took it twice a day. Late last year I was having really bad heartburn and went back to the gastro. The Prevacid wasn't working anymore. They did an endoscopy and I have a Hiatal Hernia. She wanted to prescribe Nexium but my insurance will not cover it. Not that they'll cover it at a reduced rate or with a letter from my doctor - they just will not cover it at all - period - and I can't afford it without prescription coverage. But they will cover Protonix so they put me on that once a day and it's the best stuff ever! I feel better than I have in a long time!

Stress is a huge cause of reflux for me and makes the IBS act up too. Also you will find certain foods trigger it. Alcohol, smoking, and caffeine cause a lot of problems with most reflux and IBS sufferers. I have to avoid fried foods, nuts and seeds, corn (including popcorn), and I don't eat/drink a lot of dairy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter