REFUND CHECKS - USD or CAD ???

DisFanDad

DIS Veteran
Hey all, just got our AP refund check from Disney .... It doesn't say on it, anyone know if it's USD or CAD ???

Be careful, it may not be negotiable in Canada.

I had this happen to me years ago when my uncle from Ohio wrote me a cheque on his US account. The bank accepted it, but warned me that it might reject and not spend the funds. So they sat there for a couple of months until the bank clawed them back because, indeed, the cheque could not be cashed in Canada.

Having worked in the banking industry, I would be surprised if a US cheque would clear at a Canadian bank even now as our banking systems do not really talk at all unless through Plus or Cirrus (ATMs) or Visa/MasterCard/Amex. If it is a large amount you might consider opening a US based account and depositing it there and then transferring the funds back to your Canadian account.

I had this happen to me years ago when my uncle from Ohio wrote me a cheque on his US account. The bank accepted it, but warned me that it might reject and not spend the funds. So they sat there for a couple of months until the bank clawed them back because, indeed, the cheque could not be cashed in Canada.

Having worked in the banking industry, I would be surprised if a US cheque would clear at a Canadian bank even now as our banking systems do not really talk at all unless through Plus or Cirrus (ATMs) or Visa/MasterCard/Amex. If it is a large amount you might consider opening a US based account and depositing it there and then transferring the funds back to your Canadian account.
This is not good news.

My husband gets a US cheque every other month - he teaches online courses for a company based in the states - and never had any trouble depositing it. We love the "bonus" in the form of the terrible exchange rate!

Your cheque should be fine if it's come directly from Disney, a personal one might be a different story, but from a company/corporation, your bank shouldn't have any trouble dealing with it. Just be aware that it will take at least 2 weeks to clear so don't expect the funds to be available immediately.

I received a cheque from WDW in the past and had no problem depositing the cheque into my account - not sure if it matters but I bank at TD Canada Trust. I was not told to allow 2 weeks to clear (maybe because it was from The Walt Disney Company?) Glad to hear AP refund cheques are being issued...I will watch my credit card (as they indicated that the refund would be via the original form of payment and our partial refund was credited to our AMEX).

hubby's business account is at Scotiabank and the 2 week hold might have something to do with it either being a business account or the fact that it's rarely under 6,000 🤷‍♀️

I'm still in banking and worked as a teller for many years. Clearing a US cheque is generally fine, size/value dependent. I recently deposited my US refund cheque to my Canadian FI with no issues whatsoever. The refund cheque should come in the currency with which the item was purchased.

In the past sometimes checks had difficulties clearing. Especially Canadian checks to the US. I have a friend in the US who would pick me up stuff I can’t get here. Years ago Maybe 5? I sent her a check and she said her bank wouldn’t accept it. It was from my Cibc USD checking acct.

I went to my bank, cibc to ask why. I had old checks. Apparently the check format has changed and they issued me new US checks. No problem now.

I'm expecting our refund to just go back onto our credit card. But, maybe we'll get a cheque too? We have a US bank account. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks all for the discussion, the second cheque arrived today, so only a few days apart, and I will be taking them to Scotia bank tomorrow.

I'm expecting our refund to just go back onto our credit card. But, maybe we'll get a cheque too? We have a US bank account. Thanks for the heads up!

I was wondering the same thing, I just called to follow up today, they said that if I didn't receive it back by the end of this month to call back. I'm expecting it to go back on my US credit card as well. Did those that received a cheque pay by some other method?

Reactions: CJK
I was wondering the same thing, I just called to follow up today, they said that if I didn't receive it back by the end of this month to call back. I'm expecting it to go back on my US credit card as well. Did those that received a cheque pay by some other method?

I keep checking my credit card because my partial refund was credited to it, I wonder if I will receive a cheque as I upgraded a WDW ticket I got through air miles.

When you received your chq's, or payment, etc. Did they include a statement saying how they calculated it? I keep getting gift cards from them that make no sense and I have no idea whether they are for the annual passes, trips that have been cancelled etc.

When you received your chq's, or payment, etc. Did they include a statement saying how they calculated it? I keep getting gift cards from them that make no sense and I have no idea whether they are for the annual passes, trips that have been cancelled etc.

I did not receive anything when my AMEX was credited for the partial AP refund for the closure period. I had done a rough calculation of what I thought I would receive and it was within $2. I did contact WDW after the refund as I had a large credit on my AMEX and wanted it refunded. I needed to get something in writing from Disney confirming that it was a refund on our annual passes and the date of the original transaction for the purchase before AMEX would refund the balance by cheque. Maybe reach out to WDW to see if you can get details as to what each gift card amount relates.

Well another day, another gift card received. I still have no idea what they are doing,
3 options:
1) They are refunding more than I expected for the annual passes
2) They aren't given me enough for the annual passes and the cancelled reservations total
3) There are a still a number of gift cards to come that maybe will have it make sense.

"just keep waiting, just keep waiting......"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter