Regional fast food that you just have to have when you get close to it?

Not sure how Regional some of these are.

I live in Southern California and we have Popeyes and Raising Cane's.

My favorite "CA regional" places are El Pollo Loco, In N Out, and Rubio's.

Nando's was a favorite when I lived in NOVA. We had one in our town. I was SO happy to discover my local Ralph's (Kroger) supermarket now carries Nando's Peri Peri bottled sauces so now I can make my own at home! SO GOOD! They even have the peri peri mayonnaise that they use on their sandwiches.
When we lived in San Diego we frequently ate at Rubio’s and El Pollo Loco. About the only thing we could afford with the cost of housing. Fortunately, they had both in the Phoenix area when we used to go there to visit my MIL after moving to the Midwest. It’s been years since I’ve had either.

L and L Hawaiian Barbeque-there are several locations on the mainland. In Hawaii I actually prefer other plate lunch places but L and L is the only thing on the mainland that comes close
Taco Johns-HQ in Cheyenne Wyoming-not really Mexican but if you grew up in that area, yummy.

YES!!!!! I am going there next week (go Sift bakery in down town Mystic he won America's best baker or one of those shows...to DIE FOR) I also like Cape Pier Chowder House in Kennebunkport ME which is near BREAD and ROSES Bakery in Ogunquit ME.

I will try to remember the bakery when I go back (not until next July--my niece is getting married). I would mention it to my sister--she lives in Groton--but I doubt she'd visit a bakery. She's too cheap!

When we lived in upstate NY, Stewart's was THE place for ice cream! Not really a restaurant, more like a dairy/convenience store, but the cows were local, and they have all these quirky, local flavors like "Crumbs Along the Mohawk" and my favorite, "Mint Marcy". (For those not in the know, "Drums Along the Mohawk" is a famous book about upstate NY, and Mount Marcy is the highest peak in the Adirondacks.)

I so agree! It is the #1 thing I miss (food wise) since moving out of the area! Went to a wedding 2 years ago in AZ, and I made a point of finding out which of the Lou Malnati's was closest to where we were and went there for dinner one night. I would have gone again for lunch the next day given the chance! It was just so good!!!!
Probably through Tastes of Chicago? Run by Malnati's. They do a great job, great selection of Chicago foods.

https://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/shop-by-chicago-brand

Yes! Whenever my parents come visit me (or any of my siblings) they’re required to bring a carry-on full of Lous frozen pizzas 😂

I’ve ordered the Lou’s Portillos combo from tastes several times and it’s really good. Obviously not the same as going in person, but when you’re 2000 miles away it does the trick. A bit pricy, but so worth it!

Also Garrett’s popcorn, though it’s more of a snack. I have no idea what’s in that nuclear orange salt bomb that is their cheddar popcorn but it’s amazing.

Yes! Whenever my parents come visit me (or any of my siblings) they’re required to bring a carry-on full of Lous frozen pizzas 😂

I’ve ordered the Lou’s Portillos combo from tastes several times and it’s really good. Obviously not the same as going in person, but when you’re 2000 miles away it does the trick. A bit pricy, but so worth it!

Also Garrett’s popcorn, though it’s more of a snack. I have no idea what’s in that nuclear orange salt bomb that is their cheddar popcorn but it’s amazing.

There is a Garrett's popcorn in Las Vegas at the Miracle Mile shops at Planet Hollywood Resort. My husband bought a bag last time we were there and had cheese stained fingers for hours.

Gosh, I don’t wait to get close to Cincinnati, I order Graeter’s ice cream to our NJ house!!
That reminded me of another: Handel’s ice cream. We used to go to the original location in Youngstown, OH. I didn’t realize how many locations there were until we stumbled across one in California a few years ago. It’s a must visit for me if I’m ever near one.

I just saw another post about Stewart’s ice cream. I love that, too! My oldest lives near Stewart’s, and I do look for the opportunity when we visit him. Also, Purity ice cream in Ithaca, NY. And I’m starting to think I have a thing for ice cream and realizing why I’ll never be thin 😉 I could keep naming places all day. There was something we had several places in Michigan, too.

Last edited:
L and L Hawaiian Barbeque-there are several locations on the mainland. In Hawaii I actually prefer other plate lunch places but L and L is the only thing on the mainland that comes close
Taco Johns-HQ in Cheyenne Wyoming-not really Mexican but if you grew up in that area, yummy.
I love L & L Hawaiian BBQ!

That reminded me of another: Handel’s ice cream. We used to go to the original location in Youngstown, OH. I didn’t realize how many locations there were until we stumbled across one in California a few years ago. It’s a must visit for me if I’m ever near one.

I just saw another post about Stewart’s ice cream. I love that, too! My oldest lives near Stewart’s, and I do look for the opportunity when we visit him. Also, Purity ice cream in Ithaca, NY. And I’m starting to think I have a thing for ice cream and realizing why I’ll never be thin 😉 I could keep naming places all day. There was something we had several places in Michigan, too.

It's embarrassing, but last summer, my BFF's oldest son got married in Vermont. We drove up from North Carolina, but arrived at the wedding late...because we stopped for Stewart's sundaes on the way! Luckily, it was a very informal wedding, and my friend understood. Down here, we have Bruester's Ice Cream--also very good, but not as quirky as Stewart's.

I miss Rita’s Italian Ice from the DC area.

I live in the Chicago burbs now. I highly recommend the cheese curds from Culver’s and chocolate cake from Portillos.

When we go back to Buffalo we always have to get beef on weck, pizza, wings, loganberry drink, and frozen custard. We have Culver's and Freddy's here but I like the soft serve custard from Anderson's much more.

I'm surprised to see so many people mention Bojangles. Their biscuits are good, but their food is so over-salted,

I haven't seen it everywhere but a few places has this chicken and beans and rice bowl and I'm so obsessed with it right now. I don't see the hype about their biscuits.

Wawa, it's not even a competition. :smooth:

I think it depends what you're in the mood for.
2/$1 hot dogs or burger sliders? Sheetz.
Subs and/or soup? Wawa.
Sheetz also used to have this orange dreamsicle smoothie that I was in love with.
They both have pros and cons with their food choices. :flower:

About the Popeyes ... it is nationally franchised now. However, if your first experience with it was in or very near South Louisiana, you will easily notice that the "Spicy" sold elsewhere in the US really ... isn't. Spicy, that is. Popeye's uses different spice blends in the original market area. What is sold as Spicy throughout most of the US is the blend that is used for Mild in South Louisiana.

Cane's I don't know about, but I've never been a big fan of Cane's.

The only regional fast food chain I can think of is Pollo Tropical. On the last trip to FL we went several times and wished there was one near us at home. But as someone else suggested earlier, maybe such places are special because you can’t have it all the time.

When the kids were younger they used to enjoy stopping at Cracker Barrel and Cici’s Pizza.

With most of the others, chain or not, there is something nearby to home that is similar enough. Like great pizza, subs, bakeries or homemade ice cream.

Things people who move from this area and have shipped or have claimed to miss include: pork roll and cheese, pizza, subs, bagels, “good” bread, cheesesteaks, pork sandwiches, Texas weiners, Italian hot dogs, tomato pies, and fresh produce, specifically tomatoes, blueberries, and corn.

I think it depends what you're in the mood for.
2/$1 hot dogs or burger sliders? Sheetz.
Subs and/or soup? Wawa.
Sheetz also used to have this orange dreamsicle smoothie that I was in love with.
They both have pros and cons with their food choices. :flower:
Wawa:
The Maracroni and Cheese
The Turkey, Mash and Stuffing Bowl
Subs
The one draw back to Wawa is no Tots or fries

Sheets:
Tater Tots
Subs

Not hard to find in the L.A. area, especially if you visit Glendale! Kebabs everywhere you look, it seems.

Lucky! They're impossible to find in western MA. Some places have similar pita sandwiches, but they're usually just grilled chicken, not that delightful shaved mystery meat I had in Europe.

I'm surprised to see so many people mention Bojangles. Their biscuits are good, but their food is so over-salted, I literally can't choke it down. Ironically, there are several nearby--within a few miles of my house.
Best biscuits ever!.... Every once in awhile I'll hit the drive thru just for a biscuit to go with my Starbucks 😋

Braum's - it’s a regional chain out of Oklahoma, but their drivers only go as far as they can where they don’t have to stay overnight. So the farthest store is like 300 miles from their headquarters. Excellent ice cream and great burgers. The closest one is about 350 miles away.
Braums not only has it's own dairy herd, but it grows the alfalfa they feed the cows. When I was growing up, my mom only bought Braums milk. I wish my local Braums was close enough for me to do that because their milk is delicious. If they wished to expand, they'd need a whole new dairy herd and milk processing plant because they want the milk they sell to be fresh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter