Regrets taking too many Disney trips

No regrets at all. In 2006 I took my daughter at age 5 to her one and done WDW trip. I am presently planning out 6th and done trip for 2021. This past June we went and I even brought her boyfriend with us (she says true love and they will be married when they get out of college). He had never been and they are already helping me plan the next one. I am a retired Marine so I have seen far more of the world than I ever wanted to. WDW is my go to relax part of the world.

We are DVC and do Disney trips a few times a year, and we cruise. Been doing this since 2003. Our three kids are in college now. We have no regrets as airfare for 5 would have been so costly that we would have had 1/4 the number of vacations. I'll take more time together over seeing Europe any day.

No regrets at all. In 2006 I took my daughter at age 5 to her one and done WDW trip. I am presently planning out 6th and done trip for 2021. This past June we went and I even brought her boyfriend with us (she says true love and they will be married when they get out of college). He had never been and they are already helping me plan the next one. I am a retired Marine so I have seen far more of the world than I ever wanted to. WDW is my go to relax part of the world.

My husband is a Marine currently and has the same vacation mindset as you. He has seen PLENTY of the world and appreciates the manufactured fun and safety of Disney vacations. He wants to go somewhere that he doesn't need to think, doesn't need to be hyper vigilant, and that is fun above all else. For him, camping/being outdoors is something he does at work (he has a ground combat MOS with lots of time training and holding exercises in the field), so he will NEVER spend his leisure time doing outdoorsy things.

No regrets since we've "only" done Disney 5 times. We vacationed plenty of other places in the Caribbean and USA.....but not Europe yet. I never wanted to deal with long flights with my kids until recently. We are planning trips for Europe in the upcoming future.

I hear what you are saying. Disney is fantastic, but given the choice I'd rather take the kids t o Versailles than the World Showcase. We have been lucky enough to take a mix of vacations, including visiting family abroad, and currently have one Disney trip and a Europe trip to visit friends in the works. We have friends in many places who we can stay with, so the costs come out about the same (airfare, but no hotel or park ticket s, for example).

But I also vividly remember my own first visit to AK, and how determined it made me to really experience Asia and Africa one day. You never know what experience is going to stick with your kids, and inspire their own travels.

We have been fortunate to be able to take 2 vacations per year the last few years. We have gone to either Disney World or Disney Land each year and the other vacation is typically a road trip to another destination-we've been focusing on places within the U.S. for now, but hope to add travel abroad when our kids are a bit older and longer flights don't seem so intimidating. I think I get the most excited about going to Disney World, but there are so many neat places in the world to visit that I don't want to limit our vacations to just there (and DH would NOT be happy with only going to Disney, lol.)

I have no regrets at all that we took so many WDW vacations when my DGD was younger. As a kid we never really even took vacations. My Dad worked on his vacation, so we went nowhere. We had a rare family vacation when I was 14, just before my older sister got married. By the time my parents decided to take time with my younger sister and I we really were at teh age that we did not want them to.

When my own children were young I could not afford airfare for vacations, so we would tend to stay within driving distance, and only took them on one Disney/FL trip. They did not miss out on vacations, but out destinations were all within a 4 to 5 hour drive.

Once my DGD came along my DH wanted her to go to WDW as often as we could help to get ther there, and for my DD and DSIL that was magical. They both loved WDW seen through their little girl's eyes, as did my DH and I so it was a win win. WDW was our go to when we wanted nostalgia, memories and an easy vacation. For some the planning is a major headache, but for us it was always fun. Now that Kady is approaching her senior year in HS, and is activly seeking colleges to apply to, none of us regret the trips we chose with her. Of course there were vacations elsewhere however they were not the "big one" of that year. Long weekends in NYC or the beach, etc were all included, so there was always the opportunity for different experiences.

As she got older her interests began to change and our decisions changed as well. Her current favorite, (ours as well) is Aruba. (Shhhhh, we have one planned next July to celebrate her graduation from HS, and my DH plans to get recertified to scuba, taking the courses with her. They both love to have something special shared between just them ) Yes we still travel to Disney, and will continue, however as we price travel elsewhere our destinations seem always to be less expensive. I am so glad we enjoyed our WDW trips when we did, because I am afraid we would have missed that sweet spot in her life when WDW was indeed the most magical place on Earth.

Like many of you, we spent years going to Disney every year, usually for a week or so. We stayed offsite in our early years, moved to moderate later on and mostly deluxe or Swan in recent years. Most of these years we also spent a low cost week in Maine that was very relaxing. DD, now all grown and married, loved these trips and many of these included grandparents, all of whom she adored.

Now that we are empty nesters, we are traveling abroad and the fact hasn't escaped us that some of our past Disney trips cost as much as our trips to London and Paris. Our DD would have loved to have seen these places but we always assumed Europe was out of reach. We also got into a Disney rut and didn't take her other places in the U.S. until she was in high school. In retrospect, we should have gone to Disney less and explored other places while DD was growing up.

Here's my question. Does anyone else regret taking too many Disney trips and wish they had gone other places with their kids?
You have many good points to ponder. We have been coming to Disney world since opening day in 1971 with our 1st stay at the Polynesian. From there we kept returning, knowing what to expect and enjoying every minute of it. Disney is as safe as it gets.
A pivotal moment for me was just after EPCOT opened in 82 I believe, we were over in the French pavilion and I heard a fellow guest proclaim that he saw no reason to visit Paris since Disney had the experience covered. Whoaaa there! Reality being trumped by fantasy? From that point forward we began to travel to Hawaii (was cheaper that WDW Poly) European destinations such as France, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Spain etc. - Australia, NZ, and Hong Kong! I repeat, it was cheaper than a WDW vacation for these same 9 day excursions! So over those 36 elapsed years from 1982. We had and / have a chance to see the world as it really is. Any of you who travel to WDW can do these trips if there is a desire to try something different at least once in a while! I hope this message does not come off as a "me me me" account. We do return to WDW and try to stay in the better on site hotels like the GF though we do not go as often.

You have many good points to ponder. We have been coming to Disney world since opening day in 1971 with our 1st stay at the Polynesian. From there we kept returning, knowing what to expect and enjoying every minute of it. Disney is as safe as it gets.
A pivotal moment for me was just after EPCOT opened in 82 I believe, we were over in the French pavilion and I heard a fellow guest proclaim that he saw no reason to visit Paris since Disney had the experience covered. Whoaaa there! Reality being trumped by fantasy? From that point forward we began to travel to Hawaii (was cheaper that WDW Poly) European destinations such as France, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Spain etc. - Australia, NZ, and Hong Kong! I repeat, it was cheaper than a WDW vacation for these same 9 day excursions! So over those 36 elapsed years from 1982. We had and / have a chance to see the world as it really is. Any of you who travel to WDW can do these trips if there is a desire to try something different at least once in a while! I hope this message does not come off as a "me me me" account. We do return to WDW and try to stay in the better on site hotels like the GF though we do not go as often.

This is so true! We happened to be in a position to take 3 of our kids to Europe this summer (4th one opted to stay home). It was such an amazing trip! I was a little concerned about DS12--he's not wildly mature, tends to be a complainer and picky eater, etc. But, he wanted SO BADLY to prove that taking him wasn't a mistake! He did great--no complaining at all, he tried new foods every day (and liked most of them!). But the real "bring Mom to tears" moment was when he told me what his favorite thing on the entire trip was--the Sistine Chapel! I had visited it the year before (and left him home), and I so wanted to bring him there to see the glorious artwork. And to know that he truly appreciated the masterpiece made the entire trip worthwhile.

That said--there's nothing wrong with a WDW vacation--it has much to recommend it, and is particularly good for multigenerational trips. But I, too, would cringe to hear someone say it's "just as good as going to Paris" (or another country).

Like many of you, we spent years going to Disney every year, usually for a week or so. We stayed offsite in our early years, moved to moderate later on and mostly deluxe or Swan in recent years. Most of these years we also spent a low cost week in Maine that was very relaxing. DD, now all grown and married, loved these trips and many of these included grandparents, all of whom she adored.

Now that we are empty nesters, we are traveling abroad and the fact hasn't escaped us that some of our past Disney trips cost as much as our trips to London and Paris. Our DD would have loved to have seen these places but we always assumed Europe was out of reach. We also got into a Disney rut and didn't take her other places in the U.S. until she was in high school. In retrospect, we should have gone to Disney less and explored other places while DD was growing up.

Here's my question. Does anyone else regret taking too many Disney trips and wish they had gone other places with their kids?
No regrets.

We travelled to Europe before she was born. Our touring habits there would not have been fun for her. In addition to 6 trips to WDW, we've been to Cape Cod multiple times, Maine, NYC, and Long Island, NY. She has travelled to West Virginia on two mission trips with the Appalachian Service Project.

Now that she's an adult, I could see her enjoying Europe, but not as a child. I wish we had been able to go to WDW annually or at least once every two years. I plan on making up for that with my future grandchildren.

For us, going to Disney every year became habit and it was too easy to forget that our travel dollars might be better spent going other places too. It didn't help that DH's mom lived with us since DD was 4 after is dad passed away. She almost always wanted to travel with us and it was hard to say no most of the time so Disney was an easy place to accommodate her. Her last trip was to Disney just months before she had a major stroke and then passed away 9 years ago. DD and DSIL do travel domestically with us when they have the money. I'm afraid more exotic destinations will have to wait for them until finances are a bit better but certainly something we'll do when the time comes.

I'm an older parent - married 17 years before having kids, and now they are almost 7 and 2.5. Many of my friends and peers are empty nesters. If there's one thing I've learned as I've gotten older - it's to live life without regrets. During the time DH and I were DINKs traveling the world without kids, our friends were dealing with toddlers and taking low stress vacations to Disney World or low key family friendly resorts, and never leaving the resort itself. Now, the hiking boot is on the other foot. And when you start incorporating the grandparental generation into travel plans, well, it makes sense that Disney was an easy and fun place to go for many years. And, over time, it becomes its own happy place for your family.*

I will say--Europe is easier with older children. On our tour, the youngest child was 8 (it was geared towards families). The 8yo was a trooper, but she still had some issues due to her age. It was just a LOT of walking and a LOT of culture. The rest of the children were 12+, and had an easier time of things. I wasn't so worried about my girls--both had been to Europe before--but it was interesting to see DS12 mature, right before our eyes. It really expanded his horizons and his palate, and I was impressed with how much he appreciated the cultural aspects of the trip.

My dh and our two kids DS7 and DS11 are currently touring England and Scotland and are having a blast. I’ve been to England 3 times before but the others haven’t been. The key has been to plan a trip with enough variety to appeal to everyone. My attitude has been that you won’t like every place but you will like most places.

We’ve also been flexible and have listened to our kids. For example, in Dundee our stopover hotel had an inflatable obstacle course on the water across the street. Even though we wanted to get back on the road first thing in the morning we made time for our kids to do it. Instead of driving straight through for 4 hours we stopped at a beach so the kids could play and see the ocean. Yes I’d love to visit more castles and shop more and my dh would like to tour some whiskey distilleries but we’ve made some amazing memories that are worth it.

I will say though that I’m not sure that DS7 could have handled the trip any younger. I’ve seen multiple toddlers and preschoolers in full meltdown mode at castles and other tourist stops. A lot of England and Scotland are the opposite of handicapped accessible which means that a lot of places you’d want to visit aren’t stroller friendly. Imagine being faced with a big flight of old stone steps when your child is having a tantrum and refusing to walk or be carried in a safe manner. My kids have been much more accommodating but we’ve slowed down the pace and stopped often for ice cream at the ice cream stands that seem to be everywhere.

We just got back from a trip to Paris with the little ones. Totally self-catered - we rented an apartment, lived somewhat like locals except we went out to dinner every night. We had been to Paris many times without kids, but wow ... Our trip to the Louvre was broken up into 3 days of a few hours each - one day was just to buy the Museum Pass so we wouldn't have to stand in line for hours for security. Another day I was meeting DH and the kids, and I spent most of the time waiting in a restroom line in the Richelieu wing, leaving that wing to meet up with the kids and DH, and then sitting under the pyramid helping my hungry kid eat sandwiches before trying to go back to the Denon wing, only to find they were closing the entry line because the museum was closing in 30 minutes. Also: no interactive or paper map can adequately convey how stroller UNfriendly the Louvre is. Also we got ice cream every day, and we have a series of photos with the 2.5 yo eating a chocolate ice cream cone, wearing a different outfit each day. We ate okay food, but a lot of it ended up being dictated by where we happened to be and whether our kids were overtired or hangry.

I say this all the time. I traveled the world in my twenties and when the kids were babies (they are free and portable!), but now that I’m older, I’m looking to vacation more. We have dvc and I always say that it’s our lake house. Disney is a guaranteed good time, it’s relaxing, but I still get to be busy when I want to. We still head to other places occasionally, but with our family of five Disney is actually our affordable destination. Just a place to get away to relax.

This. We live in NYC, so my kids get to be tourists at home every day. Visiting another city or cultural location is not all that different from what we do on most weekends. Our kids, especially our older one, has been all over the world but doesn't remember it. (This recent trip was her second time to Paris.) We are now at a point in our careers where we can afford to pay a little more for things that make our trip easier (we literally used that 2 day museum pass for the Louvre, and that's it). All direct flights to Paris are overnight, and the 2.5yo would only sleep after screaming in my arms for a while, which meant I got to apologize to everyone else on the plane trying to sleep, and I got to stay up for almost 24 hours straight while everyone else in my family slept. When we landed, the taxi I had pre-booked with booster and car seats failed to show up, and no one was answering their allegedly 24-hour emergency number. During that flight and right after, I really appreciated the 2 hour flight to WDW in the same time zone and the ease of DME.

I was a little concerned about DS12--he's not wildly mature, tends to be a complainer and picky eater, etc. But, he wanted SO BADLY to prove that taking him wasn't a mistake! He did great--no complaining at all, he tried new foods every day (and liked most of them!). But the real "bring Mom to tears" moment was when he told me what his favorite thing on the entire trip was--the Sistine Chapel! I had visited it the year before (and left him home), and I so wanted to bring him there to see the glorious artwork. And to know that he truly appreciated the masterpiece made the entire trip worthwhile.

This brings ME to tears, and I'm not even his mom! My almost 7yo loved the food in Paris, and visiting the museums. Even so, when I asked her today whether there were new cities or countries she'd like to visit, she first said "Hawaii and Walt Disney World" before asking if the resorts in Greece had waterslides.

*I grew up taking family road trips to WDW in the 70s and 80s. I have so many fond memories of trips with my parents. My mom was diagnosed with dementia in 2011, and in 2013 and 2016 we took a 3-generation family reunion trip to WDW. 2016 was (and will be) her last trip to WDW, and I am so happy we were able to do that. She remembered it, she was there with all her grandkids, and WDW works very well for people who are disabled. We could not have done that family reunion anywhere else.

This. We live in NYC, so my kids get to be tourists at home every day. Visiting another city or cultural location is not all that different from what we do on most weekends.

That's a really good point. One reason we stress so much about vacations that are enriching rather than just fun is that we live in North Dakota. But are originally from major metro areas ourselves. If we could take him to cultural/educational things throughout the year, Disney would be guilt-free.

What an interesting question?

My kids are 12, 10 & 7. They have been to Disney 5 times plus 2 separate Universal trips. I am the one always pushing to go back. We do fit in other trips and long weekends get-a-ways. At last count the kids had been to 12 states and Canada. But DH & I wonder if it is too much. (DH more than me.) My kids are the age where more adventurous trips might be in order.

Coincidentally, tomorrow we leave for a 2 1/2 week National Parks trip. This will be our biggest non-Disney trip, heck, this is bigger than any of our Disney trips. I'll be curious in a few months what my kids will be asking for next - Disney or non-Disney?

My husband and I went through a theme park stage pre babirs. It was incredible. But when we got married we started doing some out of country travel, and it totally changed our perspective on what we wanted in vacation. Now, our goal is to try to strike a balance between disney and the rest of the world for our littles. There's a lot of magic out there!

We're not burned out of Disney World, exactly, but the excitement isn't the same for us as it was a few trips ago. We're going next week for a long weekend & I'm looking forward to it, but it doesn't feel like a big deal the way it used to. We've been several times over the past five years, and the crowds/prices/logistics/cutbacks are starting to feel less worth it to me. I think this WDW trip will be our last for a few years, unless we return just for a resort & water parks trip (which is half of what we'll be doing this time, anyway).

Disney cruises have been a nice stepping stone away from the World & into the real world. Through them we've seen the Bahamas, Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. Europe is coming soon.

This past spring we visited the Grand Canyon, this fall we have a short trip planned to see Niagara Falls, and in December we'll take a short trip to see Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. Now that my son is 13, I am conscious that my potential vacation time with him is limited, and he's also more adventurous and interested in the world than he used to be. We're going to Italy as part of his school field trip in March, and will head back to Europe in May/June for a DCL Mediterannean cruise, Disneyland Paris, and real Paris.

I might also take him to Mount Desert Island next summer. I want to show my son as many of the wonders of the world as I can.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this! My sons are 4 and 10 months and I want to make sure we travel to lots of different places during their childhood. So far we did a WDW trip when ODS was 15 months and are going this September. Both trips were planned while my sister is a cast member, so I couldn't pass on the perks. My goal is to go every 4 or 5 years and do a variety of other traveling in between. Would love to do Europe, but I wonder ifs that would be more fun with just the hubs and I, leaving boys with their grandparents! :rolleyes1

If your children ever get into youtube videos it will open the whole world to them. My 7 year old son wants to visit Hawaii, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Alaska to name a few. I tell my husband all the time I cannot wait to return to Europe adult only and some times take the kid :D. I want to give my children experiences.

If your children ever get into youtube videos it will open the whole world to them. My 7 year old son wants to visit Hawaii, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Alaska to name a few. I tell my husband all the time I cannot wait to return to Europe adult only and some times take the kid :D. I want to give my children experiences.

This can be a problem! After taking my kids to London/Paris/Rome this summer, they're already thinking about where the want to go next. The trip they have their eye on is "Alpine Adventure"--Switzerland, Austria, Germany. Added bonus, it has all sorts of extras like mountain biking, rock climbing, white-water rafting, and, of course, plenty of high altitude things. Perfect for a wimpy, height-fearing person like myself! But, as you say, I want them to have experiences. And in this case, my MIL hailed from the Black Forest region of Germany, so it's a great way to introduce my kids to her heritage.

We're in the heart of the "perfect ages" for Disney - 6 and 3 right now. Our last Disney trip was totally fantastic (the four of us rode so many rides together, my youngest is tall). We are planning to go every year for a stretch here - until my oldest hits middle school age. Then we might branch out.

My kids are obsessed with Paris right now, it started with some cartoon but now especially my youngest asks to go a lot. My husband and I talked about it a little, but the sheer exhaustion from just trying to figure out logistics was enough. We figure around 9 or so it /might/ be worth it.

We go to a cabin every year for a long weekend, and we go to Disney, and the kids both look forward to those vacation traditions. Once they are a little older, we'll inject some variety, but Disney is my husband and I's favorite place in the world and sharing it with our children is definitely one of the great joys in our life. We both dream of one day walking the paths again with our kids grown and reminiscing about our time with them (while also FINALLY being able to linger in the world showcase again!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter