regular wheelchairs and people who look healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've now convinced my mum that she should use an ECV during our 3 week Xmas vacation. She has the parking badge for use here in the UK but to onlookers she looks perfectly well. The fact is though five years ago she went into hospital and I thought she wouldn't come out she has not been fit enough to work since. Hence the need to do something special. Some days she can walk a very long way on the flat (for her) others she can't (the days she stops in the house).

I don't want her not to see something because she's having a bad day and I know she wouldn't be able to walk up to the Safari ride in AK. So we have come to a compromise! She may decide one morning not to use the ECV and stretch her legs on the basis that if we are doing something in the afternoon/evening she will use it then. Also my dad suffers from neck, leg and spine problems so he may need to use it some times.

The main thing is we are coming over from the UK staying 3 weeks at BCV and unless we win some money I won't be able to afford another trip with them. So this will be a trip of a lifetime. I want to create lots of memories and don't want mum to miss out just because of narrow minded individuals who think that because you look healthy you are!

I know she would love to be fit enough to do it all unaided but I know she won't be able to and while she is stubborn she is not stupid! So we are looking forward to our 3 weeks in December and ignore anyone who is stupid enough to think that she shouldn't ride the ECV.

Jane

I am a 36 YO female who looks perfectly healthy. But, I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Arthritis. While I look normal, I am always in pain and exausted. Doing the parks, any park, without a mobility device is not an option for me. I wouldn't make it past the first hour.

The first trip I took to WDW, with these conditions was in 2000. It was quite a different trip from the last. Sure we were sent thru the handicapped entrance a lot. We never asked, CM's insisted. There was only DH and I and we did get lots of looks. I never worried about it. Last time I checked medical records are private, so no one can know what anyone else "has" just by looking at them.

I would love to be "normal" again. Would love not to have to add extra money to my vacation, (like the $90), I'm going to have to come up with for my trip next month. Carting around an ECV is not so easy. Looking for the HC exits off sidewalks, waiting for the next bus, because the first one doesn't have a lift or already has two devices on it already, circumventing stairs, dealing with people, esp children who want to run in front of you to "beat" you to wherever they are going, or people who just don't pay attention a walk right into you, staring at people's butts all day, because that is what is on your level. Last time I had a big, burly 6' hubby to run interference for me. This time I'm going to have to manage by myself and think that he will be there next year to help.

If people think touring with an assistive device is so easy, I would GLADLY trade my rented ECV for their good hips, knees, ankles and feet. While they are at it they could have my medical bills, loss of job/income, social life, depression and EVERYTHING that has come along with these conditions. I go to WDW to get a little joy and forget, for just a tiny moment, about the problems I have. I don't think it is any of their business how I manage it.

The very first day I'm in the MK, this year, I WON'T have an ECV, I really can't afford to rent one just for the day, and I will be at a convention the three days following. I'm fairly sure I can walk from the bus stop to and into the park, without help. The only thing I am planning to do is find a bench on the upper level of the train station and sit there with a book, waiting for the 3:00 parade and SpectroMagic. I'll be bringing my own food so I won't have to get up for that either, and I will be alone, because my Sister won't be flying in until the next day. The same people who want to look, stare, comment at me, would not like it if they had to use a whole day on their PHP and were only able to do that much. The whole park is there and I will not be able to enjoy it. Yes, I would trade the use of that ECV, or just let anyone cut in line in front of me, for a working lower body, in a heartbeat.

I can't go to the dance clubs at PI anymore, dancing for me is out of the question, if I ever had the energy, it would use up too much of it and I'd never get back to the hotel room. I spend my afternoons in the hotel room, watching the swelling in my ankles go down. If they don't go down, I can't go back out, without lots of pain. That's wastes a lot of time too. Headaches from noise and stress, questions from security about my meds, which may or may not work. I never know.

I get stares at home too, because I have a parking placard. I use ECV's in Wal-Mart, Target and grocery stores. Without the parking permit and ECV's I can't shop. I get too exausted and am in too much pain. I rarely go to the Mall anymore, because I can't walk it. When I go, I park at the entrance closest to the store I need to go to and then come right out after that one store. If I'm with someone I have to sit on a bench and wait for them. If the store I want to go to is too deep into the Mall, I get whatever I need somewhere else, usually on-line.

If anyone wants to have to go thru all this, just to get on a ride a tiny bit faster, more power to 'em. I'd wait in all the lines in the world to have my old normal life back.

If you or your family member needs a WC or ECV, get one and enjoy yourself. Your vacation time is too vaulable to have a problem like this because of uninformed strangers.

Daisimae :cool:

My mother is 85 years old. She is in relatively good health. She and my sister are at WDW even as we speak. She is using a wheelchair. Why? Because we would like her to live to see another trip. The heat and humidity of Florida in July could do her massive harm, healthwise.

So all of you that think that just because she is in good health she shouldn't be using one, we really don't care. We would kind of like her to stay that way. I know that we, as a family have told CM's that she doesn't have to go to the head of the line but they mostly insist because of the logistics with the chair.

I have been to WDW numerous times with handicapped people and I really have seen very little evidence that anyone is abusing the privilage. I know my mom would love to be young enough to not be concerned about these things and to proudly walk around everyplace without any aid. Those days are over.

It is really dangerous to jump to conclusions and make judgements about things that you haven't actually experienced.

On almost every line my mom tried to leave her ECV to stand in the lines (despite the pain). Always a CM asked her to get back in it and drive it to the handicap entrance. We tried to explain she was willing to stand in line, they said policy kept them from letting her do it.
There are very few lines where someone in a wheelchair or ecv actually goes to the "front of the line" or avoids the line by going in a handicapped entrance (I know from experience of 15 years going to WDW with a child using a wheelchair).
Here's some reasons why the CMs said it is policy to use the handicapped entrance when there is one. Often (after waiting in line) the person with a wheelchair or ecv is directed to the exit to board because it's the safest place for someone with a disability. The regular entrance usually has bars or dividers to keep people in a single file row for boarding. These are an obstacle for many people with disabilities (especially if they need help to walk or steady themselves). Boarding at the exit has several big safety advantages; there is more room for boarding, a wheelchair or ecv can usually be pulled right up to the ride vehicle, the CM can control traffic better, if there is a moving walkway - it can be slowed or stopped from the exit (but not the entrance), and the wheelcahir or ecv will be waiting at the exit for you when you get off. For some rides, there are handicapped cars. Sometimes it's a car that a wheelchair can pull right onto. Sometimes it's a car that has a wider door opening so there is more room for transferring. IF you are waiting in the usual boarding spot, you have to get on the next car that comes; at the exit, you can be off to the side waiting for the special car.
I'm fairly sure I can walk from the bus stop to and into the park, without help.
This probably won't help Daisimae, since she said she is alone her first day when she has to walk from the bus stop, but WDW started having wheelchairs at the bus stop area. These are for guests who don't have their own wheelchairs and can't walk from the bus stop to the wheelchair/ecv rental area. The "bus stop" wheelchairs can't be used in the parks - in fact, you can't take them thru the turnstiles, but for some guests they are a real help.

I am so glad Disney put wheel chairs at the bus stops. That was always the hardest part for my mother. She is 86 yrs old and although she looks 66 and healthy,she has a breathing problem. By the time she would get to the front gate she would be wheezing. Kudos to Disney!

Get one for her!! I use a scooter when I'm at Disney World. I "look" healthy and many days I can walk the parks as I did this past May. But because I never know when I'll have an episode with my back, I rent a scooter for the entire trip. I'd love to save the $200+ I spend on that rental for other stuff but I refuse to stay in my room when I'm in pain. I've been doing this since 1998 and have never once gotten a snide remark or a look. That's not to say that it can't happen but it hasn't happened to me.

Your Mom's comfort is the most important thing. Don't let stupid people stand in the way of that.

Roberta

My husband needed a hip operation, but scheduled it after our trip a few years ago. He rented a ECV for the trip. We encountered a few huffs and puffs from people waiting for the bus to assemble him in.

On bad experience was by a woman at the Contemporary. As the bus driver was lifting my husband into the bus, I was waiting in line with everyone else. This woman said loudly that "he doesn't look hurt, look he even has all his legs and arms. He's faking and now making us wait. This is ridiculous."

Well, my momma raised no fool - I walked up to her and said, "That gentleman is my husband. I am not going to explain to you why his' in an ECV, because it is non of your concern. You are just lucky that you are not in an ECV, 'because I do not believe that anyone wants to be in a wheelchair." "However, if you cannot understand this, I will be glad to put you in one."

She was so exasperated by my cander and directness, that she shut right up, sat in the front of the bus and never peeped a word. Her kids and husband didn't sit with her and they never peeped a word either!

You just can't assume people have class and good manners!

Use the wheelchair and if there there is a "disabled" line, use it!! some of the lines are very long, winding in and out.

I would rent the wheelchair and to heck with what everyone else says or thinks.
And to those who need an ECV or wheelchair to tour the parks but won't for the fear of what other people may say, let those people be the ignorants and make it easier for you to enjoy the parks and do not put your life on the line.
Personally when I see someone on a wheelchair or ECV , I don't think anything else than how lucky I am that nobody in my family needs one for now. If at some point disabled people need help , I don't doubt on helping and I don't mind if CM's pay help them even if that means the ride I'm about to board will be in the station a few more minutes.
I have been on a wheelchair myself for six months following feet surgery , maybe that's why my outlook is this.

My mother looks fine but her red and white blood count is sometimes very low. During these times she needs a wheelchair so she doesn't become tired and sick. Of course she needs one, but getting her to use one is a different matter.

It always amazes me how people want to judge others and determine if they are 'worthy' of being in need of a wheelchair. The next time you (and this is a generic 'you' and not pointed at anyone) look at someone and think to yourself that they don't LOOK handicapped, instead think to yourselves, I am so glad Disney has wheelchairs and ECV's so everyone can enjoy all that Disney has to offer.

And if anyone is so misguided to think it is EASIER to do Disney in an ECV or wheelchair, they have another think coming to them.

Sure, you don't have to walk where you go, and you have a cushy seat and all, and let's not forget that great basket in the ECV's for your stuff. But, have you ever tried it??? It is not easier, and everything takes longer. Navigating the crowds can be quite a hassle. There are no shortcuts cutting through the stores or any area with stairs.

The first time we went with my Mom after she was in a car accident (which resulted in a permanent DISability and she was no longer able to work) we had discussed it months before we went to get her used to the idea. I read up on the ECV's here on the DIS. I wanted her to have mobility and freedom wthout being dependent on someone else.

It was great. It gave her the ability to do more than 2 hours in the parks. And the freedom to go everywhere. On her own and the ability to last longer in the parks. Now she gets one whenever we will be all day in the park.

And yes, you will see other members of the family use it. Mom likes to stretch her legs every so often (it also gives her arthritic hands a rest from squeezing the 'gas' too!) ANd it gives Dad a chance to get off his feet for a bit. I have also been known to take a spin in it. Especially when you have to go all the way to the front of EPCOT because the international gateway is out of them, (it is the only way to get the ECV back!!)

So the next time you see someone who does not 'appear' to be disabled in some way, think a kind thought and be grateful it is not you in the chair. ANd if you have to wait a bit longer for a bus, think to yourself, isn't it great that Disney has buses that are equipped for the handicapped and affords them the opportunity to get to do Disney. Because, you never know if someday it will be you, your family, or your friends who are in that position.

Definetly rent your mother the wheelchair if you are concerned about her. My mother is fairly young (55) and looks exteremly healthy even though she has multiple sclerosis. She can no longer walk on her own without a walker and of course we always got her the wheelchair. She always felt self concious about it because she was afraid what others would think, but no one ever gave us grief or dared her to step out of the wheelchair. She knew she needed it, and we knew she needed it--that was all that mattered. As for the wheelchair lines, use them! They will benefit your mother. Standing on those long lines can take their toll, especially if they are outdoor queues.

Here is the deal with the wheelchair in my family.
the best park to get priority access is Magic Kingdom - specifically in Fantasyland - because of all the small lines that are unable to accomodate the chair. However, in the last few years it seems as though Disney has limited the attractions that you can get priority access with a wheelchair - and to my family - it seems that it cuts down on the abuse of the system.
We always make my mom go in a chair and she is healthy and more than able, but tires easily and has bad knees with prolonged stress and standing. However, we never abuse the system. My mom will hop in and out of a chair - and will not cut in front of someone who was already in line. She knows that the chair is not a crutch but merely an aid. And she reminds herself that she can stand and walk, if necessary and won't allow the prime access to rides to sway her conscious.
It is our families policy that we never use the chair to backdoor a ride or attraction. If there is a backdoor for chairs - we will either have my mom wait in line (depending on the size) or she will wait for the rest of us to go thru the line and will then go up the priorty access w/1 member of the family. In our mind -its fair and doesnt abuse the system. Afterall the backdoor for those who need it - is designed to allow the moving attraction to stop and give an area of privacy and space for that person to transfer to the attraction. It was really never designed for a wheelchair and those 10 kids to get on before those who have been in line for an hour. Even though the wheelchair can serve as almost a fastpass- thats why you see people pay the $11. and wheel people who look very healthy in the private entrance with their entire group. Those are the people that get the glances and often nasty comments. You can usually spot them a mile away.
We have never seen anyone think any less of our situation with our mom
Ultimately - it all depends on how you use the aid and whether you allow the aid to pave your way.

Way to go - LauraJean1014! I guess I'm a goodie-two-shoes because I would immedialetly feel for someone in a wheelchair, rather than accuse them of faking.

Hope that woman learned her lesson - if nothing else - don't mess with LauraJean1014!!!!!

We didn't have any problems at all with people being rude. We had loads of problems with people being oblivious.

My mother (who will by 79 on this trip) has used and evc for a few years. She has had a couple of strokes and problems with the blood flow in her legs which causes extream pain. These are not things you can see. She hates that the busses load wheelchairs first. It bothers her to go to the front of the line. However this said she will NOT drive her EVC onto the bus. She gets so upset and it takes her forever so she gets out and my DH or BIL take it on for her. Now her worry is that people will be upset because this takes so much time so she jumps out of the chair and tries to hurry up the stairs...Not very safe and makes me nervous. Then she gets the "look". I try to explain in her attempt to be nice and hurry she is making people wonder what is wrong with her. I also work with children who are wheelchair users in our local school dist. Anyone who thinks these families find it easier to have a person in a wheelchair or that it is easy in a wheelchair should thank their lucky stars that they don't have someone in one! GET the wheelchair, USE it and ENJOY your trip!!

Originally posted by AKASnowWhite
Actually, at DL people with the "special assistance passes" either go thru fast-pass line or the attraction exit where they are then loaded as soon as the next available *car* arrives.

My BIL has MS and I have a bad foot/ankle (DO NOT wear your 3-D glasses outside at night while trying to go down steps - you may fracture your foot). I was at DL this week and my foot was very bad, so I had an ECV. My foot and ankle were wrapped and swollen - very visible. When it is that bad, I can't put weigt on it for more than a few minutes. The only problem I had was with a CM at the Matterhorn, as she wanted a special assistance pass (which city hall won't/doesn't like to give you unless you are permanently disabled, and not always then either). I didn't have one, and she asked if I had waited in line until the ECV wouldn't go through the queue anymore - we had. She was kind of snotty about it, and it was early for her to be having a bad day. All the other CMs were very nice.

What I disagree with in the quote, if I am understanding you correctly, is that you are loaded as soon as the next available vehicle comes along. Generally it is after the SAP user before you comes back. We have waited in line longer than the normal standby line at some rides because of this. They usually make you wait at least a few minutes if there is no one ahead of you, probably to placate those in the normal line as well as for operation reasons (load time slows down).

I didn't get dirty looks, but that has happened before. It really makes me mad when they do that to my BIL - he is really bad off, but wants to keep trying to walk (even with his walking stick, he falls a lot). The only reason he consents to using the ECV at DL is because his daughter begs him to, and my sister put her foot down and said he had to - it just isn't safe for him to walk at DL with all those people and obstacles. He "looks normal," but when he gets up, he is struggling to get on the ride - Space Mountain is a nightmare for him because he can't get his legs to bend on their own. :(

I agree that the biggest problem is inconsiderate and oblivious people who jump right in front of you. The horn doesn't help... Two kids ran into my ECV on Tuesday - I wasn't even moving!!! I also caught kids playing on the ECV when I got back from dinner (I had parked it outside). :rolleyes:

Don't worry about what others think, and just be careful of the people who will jump in front of you guys...and have a great time!!!

My philosophy is if it will help you enjoy your trip more by all means rent one. I am going in September and will be 30 weeks pregnant. One of the reasons we are going then is we are going with friends that have planned on going with us numerous times and then ended up not being able to afford to go - we told them when they could go we would go with them. Well my doctor will allow it and I would never turn down a visit to WDW so we will go in September. Even though I have started walking almost every day to help me prepare for Disney World (which I usually do anyway - but is SO important going pregnant in September) BUT if I get tired and just can't make it you will see me in a wheelchair. In my opinion pregnancy is not an illness and I get really frustrated the way some women won't do anything because they are pregnant (although I know this is an extremely personal decision that I respect too) - but I'm not going to make myself totally miserable or put my baby at risk or sit on a bench while everyone enjoys themself just because I don't want to be in a wheelchair. And I don't - it will be a last resort for me and only if I can't handle it. Okay I got a little off track there but my point is if you need a wheelchair to be able to enjoy the parks to the fullest by all means get one and if someone has a problem with it - tough.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by AKASnowWhite
Actually, at DL people with the "special assistance passes" either go thru fast-pass line or the attraction exit where they are then loaded as soon as the next available *car* arrives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just wanted to mention to DL handles things a lot differently than WDW does. Many of the rides at DL are not accessible except thru the back door or fastpass line and there is not room to change this.
Most of the rides/attractions at WDW have been changed to Mainstream Access, where wheelchair/ecv users wait in the same line as everyone else. Most of the wheelchair users you see in the fastpass line are there because they got fastpasses, just like everyone else in the fastpass line.
There are a few lines that could not be made wheelchair accessible because of how the ride loads or the amount of room available for renovation. Most of those are in Fantasyland. For most rides that load at the exit (with the exception of a few Fantasyland rides), the access to the "back door" is made after the person has waited in the regular line until almost ready to board. There are certain times where there are exceptions to this; when it's really a slow time, the CMs will sometimes take wheelchair/ecv users more quickly. This is to make things move more smoothly, not a benefit to the wheelchair user.
Rides/attractions have fire/evacuation limits on how many people with disabilities can be in the ride at one time. This can mean a wait for the person with a disability if the limit is already reached.

Don't worry about getting grief about renting a wheelchair. If your mom needs it, she needs it. I think that the reason so many "healthy" looking people get grief is because a lot of perfectly fine people rent them for their own advantage. I can't tell you how many times in my 9 times visiting WDW, that I've seen people abuse wheelchair use in order to get to the front of the line or get better sitting. Seeing people do this annoys me so much. I've always been tempted to say something to the person who was wheeled to an attraction and then once inside runs around and gets ready for a better viewing spot. Ehhh, what can you do, it happens. But that's why I think people that look perfectly healthy come across a problem when you need one. In your case go for it.....and have a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter