Relaxed Family Trip - Feb 2019

lakohls

How Long Until Our Next Disney Trip?
Good evening all!
Family of 6 here now and trying to make as many memories as possible while still enjoying the vacation!
I've read so many report over the years, so this seems like a good way to keep track. Though probably not with as many details & photos as so many provide since I'm writing as we go since once we get home life will make it much harder to find time!

This is an 11 night stay (9 at Kidani, then 2 at Swan). We have planned 2 days at Universal as well. Longer trip so there can be more down time spread throughout.

Family:
Myself & DH, DS21 (with significant special needs - so as I come across tips will share), DD17 & graduating later this year, DD15, DS10.

Day 1 - Travel
Split the family so I & DS21 could fly direct on SW, rest on Delta a few hours later through Atlanta.
Us: 5:30am wakeup call to get ready for 7am departure for drive to ALB for 9:35am flight. All smooth but TSA with a wheelchair and special formula was a little challenging: I had to have a full body pat down because they couldn't open the liquid formula then after they cleared & tested everything came & tracked us down (at the restrooms) to come back so the wheelchair could be swabbed & tested too.

**Thank you to another trip report - suggesting bringing an extra bag for all the remove-able chairs parts to limit potential damage.**

Usual 3 hour flight challenges of entertaining DS21 but landed on time (12:53pm) , got to ME which had our reservation noted for chair. Received email from Kidani with room ready during ME trip and arrived just after 3pm. I had requested through Touring Plans and received exact request, just on 3rd fl (instead of 2nd) and the pre-check in worked perfectly as our magic bands allowed us right in.

Valet brought up Garden Grocer and bags within about 30 minutes so I was able to unpack everything. DS21 & I enjoyed a very relaxing afternoon watching the animals on the savannah fro our balcony for about an hour then a much needed nap!

Rest of family: Left house just after 10am for 12:40ish flight. Enjoyed crepes while in Atlanta during layover. Arrived a little early at MCO, smooth ME and met us at Kidani about 8pm.

We headed to Disney Springs for dinner - T-Rex had been the request. Arrived 8:45pm for 9:30 reservation & they were able to seat us early! All so hungry so early seating was great. Food was average and dinos etc as expected. Kids were not as impressed as 4 or 6 years ago so T-Rex unlikely to be a "must do" next trip.

Attachments

• 2.14 from balcony.JPG
    2.14 from balcony.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 5
Day 2 - Animal Kingdom
Always our 1st park - we just really enjoy it.
Departed room for bus about 9:45am after light breakfast in room. The DME app with bus times is quite helpful.
Having Kidani pick-up prior to Jambo is a significant perk especially with a wheelchair situation and waiting to head over a little later works well for us to avoid the rush.

2 tips learned today:
1. Bathrooms at AK are among best places to gain access to an outlet if you need it for medical needs (a portable suction unit in our case) although the gift shop at EE also accommodated our request to use theirs at cash wrap once they realized it was a medical need (not a cell phone).
2. There is a Ticket Desk inside AK that can setup DAS - no line vs a significant line at main entry. Go through turnstiles, head to towards Tree of Life, turn right & Desk is maybe 50 feet down in front of the Discovery Trading Company.

Winged Encounters at 10:30am. Got lucky we were in the area at the right time and it was very enjoyable. The birds are swiping just over your head.

Dinosaur at 10:45am (using DAS). Loved it - but it does seem darker than in past throughout the entire ride.

Safari about 11:15am (using FP booked at 60 day mark - as all our FP were). Maybe a 10 min wait. Many of the animals were out and the savannahs are SO green - really looks like spring! Our driver was clearly in training but did a great job. Her commentary was spot on and it seemed she was more working on the details of driving the truck.

Everest at 12:10 (using FP). We did use Rider Swap here as DS21 can not ride. CM was kind and allowed all 3 kids to ride 2nd time with me.
Luckiest magic of the day - DD17 left her little bag on the ride during 1st trip, but it was still in the cargo bag in the row & CM located just 2 coasters after us!

1pm Lunch at Satu'li Canteen. Took about 20 minutes to locate a table, then another 20 to get food. Salads were quite good - one with chicken & one with beef. DD17 & I both enjoyed. Rest of family humored us - but all 3 eating had the kids "cheeseburger" which presented as very interesting as it basically looks like a round ball wrapped in dough.

Also was able to see most of the 2pm Pandora Utility Suit show from our seats.

2:45 Navi River (using DAS picked up at 1pm just before lunch). Beautiful ride and we will enjoy many times in the future, but all agree not worth more than a 30 minute stand-by wait.

Did some people watching & had a frozen fruit while we waited for our FoP PF time at 3:45pm.

3:30 Pandora Drummers - very interactive and kids all participated.

By this point DS21 had enough and DH decided best if they headed back to Kidani instead of trying to last through F0P (DS2 would not have been able to stay on the seat anyway). So they headed out.

FoP at 3:45 FP! I had ridden before, but for kids this was 1st trip. LOVED IT! No surprise there as the experience is fantastic. DD17 got off saying "I want to be a Navi!"

By now (about 4:20) wait times on everything else were generally longer than we wanted to wait. Except Tough to Be A Bug which we had not done for many years. So for DS10 - who is the target audience - I convince the girls to go. It was very cute and different than I remember from 10+ years ago.

We headed out of the park about 5pm and felt it was a very successful day. Everyone enjoyed each other and the park.

Day 3 - Epcot!
So everyone was up & ready up 9:30 planned departure for buses - vey successful. While DH & I were remembering the early morning character breakfasts from when the kids were little, the more relaxed mornings of teenage years agree with us better.

By 10 am arrival over at Epcot it was a MADHOUSE. Just a mass of people. (Outlets available on exterior of the bathrooms just after bus drop off & before bag check - which we used upon seeing how long it might take to get through and into park. We were able to consolidate down to 1 bag with mostly DS21 medical equipment and other misc hats, sunscreen etc. I think it took a solid 30 minutes to get through bot bag check & then touchpoint.

1st ride: Nemo. Always relaxing and inside for a few minutes seen the aquariums. Surprising DD17 really wanted to hear Turtle Talk as well - but we had to postpone to be on time for Test Track. Which apparently went down as we were walking over. So the FP converted to anytime for the day.

We have not even tried Mission Space in years. Younger 3 went for Orange, DH, DS21 & decided to attempt Green. Green line was about 30 minutes, Orange was 75. And they both took all of those minutes. But sometime the wait times are just as much fun as the ride. Apparently especially the Orange line had multiple groups playing "Heads Up". When they got off our kids had made new friends and a very nice couple came over to meet DH & I calling him "Captain Crunch" & me "Wine" as those were among the topics and we were the examples. But the couple was so complimentary of the kids and all they had learned about our family while playing the game! Who knew lol.

Also - great padded semi-circular bench in the exit area makes for great pit stop - with an outlet for charging etc.

The Land Pavillon is one of our favorites for both rides & the food. We had a FP for The Land and although DH doesn't always care some of the messaging the kids & I enjoy seeing what is new growing at the different times of the year. The strawberries looked wonderful and the research on fish and shrimp was pretty interesting.

By now it was lunch time and after the only "ok" meals at AK yesterday everyone was happy with Sunshine Seasons variety that appealed to everyone. Then on to Soaring! DH & I got the opportunity to experience the new version back on a quick trip we had in March and thoroughly enjoy the update. And DS21 really enjoys Soarin as well - I think the big visuals, music and the breeze on his face is just enjoyable and a perfect use of his DAS pass (which I set-up on arrival in the area).

Test Track was still down. We were keeping our fingers crossed though and split up. DD17 & I went over to Turtle Talk. So cute - some of the conversations that Crush comes out with are truly funny. Meanwhile other group had headed over to Figment - a long time favorite of DD15. She always picks up a Figment item each trip - and it has been nice that there have been more options to choose from last couple of times. This year - socks!

About 4pm (if I remember times correctly) Test Track was back up & running. After being off so long even FP line was quite lengthy. Designing the cars was quite the competition. Our family divided into 3 teams of 2 each and end up with each car "winning" different tests when driven. But they also really enjoyed making fun of my light violet color! Ride itself fun of course - but we kind of miss all the dummies :(

Last ride of the day - Spaceship Earth. I understand this will be down for almost 2 years for refurb?

It was now about 6:20pm. DH & 3 kids decided to head back to Kidani. I was hoping to catch the Broadway Show at 6:30 - but quickly realized no way we could get to America in time. Fortunately we have another day planned for Epcot later in trip - will prioritize World Showcase, meeting Joy & sadness, Soarin' and some of the Arts stations.

So instead DD17 & I decided to catch the 8pm fireworks over at MK - after all I splurged for the park hoppers this trip. But it is true - allow at least the hours to transfer: walking, monorail, then ferry and going through security again. By which point we were getting cranky & hungry. (Is "crungry" a word like "hangry"?) But thanks to Liners I had recently ready about the fireworks being good to watch from over by Columbia Harbor House - and that info is 100% correct. We enjoyed the Chicken Pot Pie and Chicken Harbour Salad with virtually no wait to order and ate at one of the smaller picnic style tables just outside with only slightly obstructed view of the main fireworks (no castle viewing). Music was also wonderful and we enjoyed entire experience.

I really should have called to a day at that point, but instead pushed our limits to see Jungle Cruise in the evening for different perspective. Line was much longer than estimated (37 actual vs 15 on liners app). But it was cute and our Captain tried really hard. I think everyone was worn out that evening.

Buses ran efficiently and we arrived with over 15,000 steps to Kidani about 10pm. Thank you Kidani for such comfortable beds!

On the special needs notes: we set up DS21 in the living room on the pull-put recliner and are able to use the floor lamp to hang overnight feeding bags using a coat hanger.

Good night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!