Remedies For Bruxism

manchurianbrownbear

<font color=green>Not very concise<br><font color=
Our 6 yr-old DD grinds her teeth when she sleeps. Our dentist has said that, fortunately, it isn't causing any damage, but we would love to eliminate the noise, which is the most ungodly sound I've ever heard!

Ideas anyone?

It isn't causing any damage - YET!

You can purchase a mouth guard type thing at WalMart usually in the sports area. Those will keep her from grinding her teeth. I have a mouth guard that was done by the dentist but VERY expensive. At least this way you can see if it will work.

I wear a mouth guard from my dentist. Insurance paid most of the cost.

Possibly but if it was explained to me that it will help my teeth later....I would probably wear it.

I've had it as long as I've had teeth. I got my first guard when I was 16, a soft one. My orthodontist had me come back in a month so he could see how much force I was putting on it. I went back in a week with the little crumbled pieces that were all that were left.:eek: He said I have the worst case he'd ever seen. I then got a hard plastic one which lasted 10 years, and then next one I got is already at 11 years and still going strong. I still grind my teeth something fierce, my DH says it sounds like there's a rat chewing on the baseboards. :p The guard does protect my teeth.
I've worn my guard almost every night since I got it. I had braces for 4 years, so I'll do anything to protect my teeth. I just can't wear it when I have a cold.

I LOVE my guard and cannot sleep without it! They adjusted mine to have no pressure on my teeth, could not stand that. Both kids grind their teeth and their pediatric dentist says to do nothing at this point. So we are not!

I've managed to wear out 3 bruxism mouthguards since I got my first one about 10 years ago. I managed to grind the points off my incisors to the point that I had to have porcelain onlays put on three of them. My insurance does not reimburse for onlays or for the mouthguards, and both are quite expensive. Perhaps your 6yo will grow out of this bad habit if you get her started with a mouthguard now before she can damage her permanent teeth. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter