Remember the Teens: True Tales of Disney Magic with a 15yo Boy

TigerlilyAJ

DIS Veteran
Prior to our January 2020 vacation, my eldest child, age 15, 6'1", mainly talked about big rides and what food he wanted to eat. He's adventurous with food, and eats a ton every day. I booked him, my 12yo, and myself tickets to a Disney After Hours so we could save the big MK rides for that night without making my DH and younger children wait for us, as they don't ride most of those big rides. I booked Buzz and TSM FPs on multiple days, because those are his fave non-thrill rides (and enjoyed by the entire family). But otherwise, the trip was largely focused on his younger siblings, with princess character meals (with the bonus of AYCE for him plus specialty drinks on the DDP), lots of Meet & Greets, and Droid Depot reservations for the sibs.
DAH was a hit, as I expected, as was the food. But some other special moments at times I was not expecting.
1) We took a Pirates & Pals fireworks cruise mainly because two in our party hate crowds and another two love Peter Pan. (Though not marketed as such, Pirates & Pals is really a Neverland-themed event, including "Jake & the Neverland Pirates," rather than a Pirates of the Caribbean thing.) When we got on the boat after the desserts inside the Contemporary, DS actually put away and stayed away from his phone for the entire ride. We had the front row and he listened and laughed with our comedian host "Patch" and participated in all the audience sections. He had a great time before the fireworks began.
2) After having done several photo stops in Batuu, including Magic Shots, finally a photographer asked him, instead of one of his younger siblings, to be the guy on whose arm a porg perches. And he was *thrilled*. Huge smile, obviously excited. He loves the photo, put it on his phone.
3) At meals and Meet & Greets, characters offered him a polite entreaty and then politely would leave him be when he didn't show much enthusiasm, focusing attention on the young kids, especially as my DD was often dressed as the character. It felt appropriate to me, But at DHS, after a long 45 minutes to see Olaf, the snowman wanted to give everyone a warm hug. Eeeeveryone. Now, the CM did not initiate physical contact, but made soundless, big, hoppy, happy gestures with open arms inviting each of us for a hug. And s/he didn't pass by the big guy. Again, the personal attention and high energy got him smiling and participating, giving us some great photos. Like the book says, "Everyone Loves Olaf."
So I guess the lesson of my story is you should never assume that any kid is immune to all kinds of park fun. Even with the distractions and more obvious excitement on the part of siblings who are younger (and also not diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome), get those teens in on the action. CMs and you might focus on the needs and wants of little ones, esp if they're first timers, but the big guy wants to be included, too.

At DL this summer, Elasta-girl compared muscles with my very tall DS12. (And had him do push ups lol) It made his day. He’s 5’9 and does not resemble a child anymore. I super appreciated it as he still loves Disney magic but is “too big and macho” to stand in character lines

As a pediatrician, I often tell parents that while their teenage sons make look "grown" between the ears they are much closer to the 4 year olds than a 20 year old. It's a useful reminder for parents when setting their own expectations (although it's not easy), so not surprising that the older ones still appreciated the attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!