Remember When....

This came up on another forum I visit (not Disney related.) Someone speculated that WOO isn't a big deal anymore now that you can watch it anytime. I see it's at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm thinking it's still pretty special. DGD 6 watched it from our DVR endlessly for several months.

It's not that the movie isn't just as good now, it's the "shared experience" of watching it once a year that's gone.

You have kids like your DGD, who watch it over and over - so it's good, but not a special occasion,

and kids who have never seen it - because "we can see that any time" so it never makes the cut in the busy schedule.

This came up on another forum I visit (not Disney related.) Someone speculated that WOO isn't a big deal anymore now that you can watch it anytime. I see it's at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm thinking it's still pretty special. DGD 6 watched it from our DVR endlessly for several months.
FYI: Wizard of Oz returns to the big screen for 3 days in late January 2019 as part of the TCM Big Screen Classics series to mark its 80th Anniversary.

It's not that the movie isn't just as good now, it's the "shared experience" of watching it once a year that's gone.

You have kids like your DGD, who watch it over and over - so it's good, but not a special occasion,

and kids who have never seen it - because "we can see that any time" so it never makes the cut in the busy schedule.
It's also going to depend on where you live. Growing up in KS you couldn't really escape it. It's a sore subject with me but sadly my mom's "friend" lost our special 50th anniversary copy of it. It had a special VHS jacket.

I do get what both of you are saying.

I do own it on DVD nowadays but I don't watch it too too often. I did recently rewatch after several years had passed Gone with the wind.

This week it's "Sicko Mode" by Travis Scott

... whoever that is.

In fact, I had to scroll down to #5 to see a song I recognize. "High Hopes" by Panic! At the Disco
Just scrolled the entire 100 list as of this morning. I know who Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, and Lady Gaga (with Bradly Cooper? Really?) is, but other than the Christmas stuff merging in at this time, I have not heard, nor do I want to hear, a single song on the top 100.

This isn't a tech thing, it's a generation thing. I knew the top 100 30 years ago because I was a teenager coming into my 20's. I'm not that any more, so I don't listen to top hits.

Exactly! It used to be a special event. Certain movies used to come on once a year and families would gather to watch. I miss that.

OK, Floridaman999......just how OLD are you??? :rotfl:
I'm 46 and visiting my grandparents, I trekked to the outhouse. A lot of fun waking up in the middle of the night to go to the outhouse to find yourself standing toe to toe with the black bear.

It's also going to depend on where you live. Growing up in KS you couldn't really escape it. It's a sore subject with me but sadly my mom's "friend" lost our special 50th anniversary copy of it. It had a special VHS jacket.

I do get what both of you are saying.

I do own it on DVD nowadays but I don't watch it too too often. I did recently rewatch after several years had passed Gone with the wind.

Gone With the Wind used to play at the theater once a year around here when I was a kid. Me, my mom, sil and dsis used to go every year. Love the movie but haven’t watched it in years.

Wringer washers
Grandma had a wringer washer, outside. I mentioned being toe to toe with the bear when you went out to use the outhouse in the middle of the night? Grandma was doing laundry, reached back to grab another handful of clothes and grabbed a handful of fur. That was the same bear. It fed on the kitchen scraps Grandma would take out and leave on the stump in the corner of the yard. They moved out to their hunting camp in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest.

Ah.... what the heck is "A Star is Born?" LOL
The original film is from 1937, starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March. It was remade in 1954 with Judy Garland & James Mason, again in 1976 with Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson, and then again in 2018 with Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper.

It started as a movie about a small town girl wanting to become a famous Hollywood actress. It morphed into a small town girl wanted to become a famous musician in later remakes.

The original film is from 1937, starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March. It was remade in 1954 with Judy Garland & James Mason, again in 1976 with Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson, and then again in 2018 with Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper.

It started as a movie about a small town girl wanting to become a famous Hollywood actress. It morphed into a small town girl wanted to become a famous musician in later remakes.

I think he was joking. Anyone reading this thread, and especially named, "mrodgers" probably knows what A Star Is Born is - and in it's many reincarnations.

Speaking of movies, I was talking to someone at work saying how more new movies are no longer available on DVD only for streaming. She mentioned she's never watched a movie from a "DVD" or even has any device to play a DVD.

I said, "Doesn't your computer have a DVD player?"

She said, "No. I'm a millennial. We don't watch DVDs."

I wanted to friggin slap her. :rolleyes:

It also made me make a mental note to be SURE that a DVD player/recorder is included in my next laptop before that feature goes extinct. I still have DVDs I watch.

But, apparently DVDs will be included on the "Remember When" list of this thread sooner than expected. :(

I have been buying more digital movies, but we still have lots of DVD's. Not all movies are immediately available for streaming, especially not at no additional charge.

Just had another flashback from this thread. I was really young, and the store was really old, but I was fascinated by a store in my Mom's hometown. It had tubes to put payment in a carrier, that would take it upstairs to a cashier. Then the change would come back. As I said, really old school.

I think he was joking. Anyone reading this thread, and especially named, "mrodgers" probably knows what A Star Is Born is - and in it's many reincarnations.

Speaking of movies, I was talking to someone at work saying how more new movies are no longer available on DVD only for streaming. She mentioned she's never watched a movie from a "DVD" or even has any device to play a DVD.

It also made me make a mental note to be SURE that a DVD player/recorder is included in my next laptop before that feature goes extinct. I still have DVDs I watch.

But, apparently DVDs will be included on the "Remember When" list of this thread sooner than expected. :(
I have two current laptops and a Chromebook, none have DVD/CD drives. My desktop does have a DVD/CD drive. My previous desktop had two drives, one was writeable, the other was not.

Just buy an external DVD drive. You can use it with any PC you want as long as it has a USB port.

I'm 46 and visiting my grandparents, I trekked to the outhouse. A lot of fun waking up in the middle of the night to go to the outhouse to find yourself standing toe to toe with the black bear.
I'm guessing you let him use it first?

It was a treat to get to eat at the lunch counter at the Woolworth's in my neighborhood. Once or twice a year it was a REAL special occasion to each lunch downtown at the Crystal Room at John Wanamaker or the Corinthian Room at Strawbridge & Clothier department stores in Philly.

Besides eating lunch in the Crystal Room, a big draw for kids was the monorail in the toy department. I think there was also a merry-go-round. And the Christmas light show.

wanamakers%2Bcollage.jpg

The monorail is long gone and Wanamaker's is now Macy's, but the light show remains.

macys_jholder_uw1.jpg

Korvettes was a full-fledged discount department store that sold clothing, housewares, hardware, toys, seasonal items, furniture, etc. Not really like Walmart or K-Mart because I don't think they sold groceries or health & beauty items like aspirin or shampoo. They did sell cosmetics and fragrances. Many stores had more than one floor. I think the chain was mostly in the northeast US and went out of business around 1981 or so.

The record department was larger than many Sam Goodys or other mall music stores. They had a wide selection in stock, including a lot of punk and new wave that was difficult to find in other stores.

I saw some vinyl albums in Kohls the other day. Reissues of classic albums like the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I still have about three dozen vinyl albums from way back and listen to them occasionally.

A good description for Korvettes may be a lower-end Sears, since they both had similar departments including hardware, appliances, and an auto center.

I bought most of my records there too.

I have two current laptops and a Chromebook, none have DVD/CD drives. My desktop does have a DVD/CD drive. My previous desktop had two drives, one was writeable, the other was not.

We got a Court Subpoena last week for a story we did. Our IT people just laughed as we tried to find a DVD burner in the building. They had pulled them all out. The Subpoena specified we provide the video on DVD. They stopped laughing when the boss told them the next person to laugh was going to be the one going to jail for contempt of court for not complying with the court order. We now have 6 DVD burners that have been reinstalled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter