Remind me again about benefits of same UY/drawbacks to different UY

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We will be looking into an add on in a year or so. We currently have AK February UY. But we are thinking we want Poly with an April UY (in order to allow use in December before banking window ends).

What draw backs should I consider, if any with having a different resort with a different UY. or are there any significant benefits with having the same UY

We will be looking into an add on in a year or so. We currently have AK February UY. But we are thinking we want Poly with an April UY (in order to allow use in December before banking window ends).

What draw backs should I consider, if any with having a different resort with a different UY. or are there any significant benefits with having the same UY
Having the same UY allows you to combine points from both resorts at 7 Months. For instance, yesterday I was able to combine banked BWV points with VGF points to complete a one-night reservation at VGF. I would not have been able to do this without a call to MS to transfer points from the VGF contract and make the reservation under the BWV membership.

Two UYs also means that you cannot combine continuing reservations, you can only request to link them. So, let's say that at 7 months you booked two nights using one contract and another 5 nights in the same villa using the other. You can call MS to ask that the two be "linked" but they will always have 2 different reservation numbers and you are not guaranteed that you will not need to move.

But, having different UYs means two memberships. Which means double the number of wait lists and transfers available to you. It also means that you can get double the number of Moonlight Magic tickets, if you qualify. And since they're separate memberships, they do not need to be titled the same, allowing you to have different adults as owners of each contract.

Just FYI we have an april UY and we need to bank by November 30th. If you want to cancel a December trip and still be able to bank you will have to look at a UY later than April.

Just FYI we have an april UY and we need to bank by November 30th. If you want to cancel a December trip and still be able to bank you will have to look at a UY later than April.

If you cancel in the last month before your trip, points go into holding status and banking is not an option. So April would be *ok* but you'd still need to cancel early enough...

If you cancel in the last month before your trip, points go into holding status and banking is not an option. So April would be *ok* but you'd still need to cancel early enough...

Yes...thanks for pointing that out...I wasn't thinking about the less than 31 day holding points rule!

These are the exact contacts we currently own. I dont Love my April UY because my son’s spring break will always start the first Monday in March. In many cases this spans our UY.

We just passed ROFR on another contract with a feb UY. (SSR because we had a hard time finding an AKL one that fit our needs)

april UY and we need to bank by November 30th
I was counting my months wrong thinking i would could bank up to Dec 31st. Thanks!

With an April UY if i had a trip starting 12/15, I need to cancel 31 days before the trip in order to be able to bank those points -- is this correct?

I dont Love my April UY because my son’s spring break will always start the first Monday in March. In many cases this spans our UY.
Our spring breaks are in April so that is why my thought process makes me think April UY would work to cover our April break, summer time and could work into the fall time, but seems December trips i would have to be careful and would need to cancel 31 days prior to avoid holding points.

Hopefully I am understanding things correctly.

With an April UY if i had a trip starting 12/15, I need to cancel 31 days before the trip in order to be able to bank those points -- is this correct?

If you cancel 31 days or more in advance, there is no penalty. If you cancel within 30 days or less, your pts become holding pts and become much more limited in their use.

So if you cancel 31 days before December 15, then you would still be within your banking window and could bank current UY pts with no issues.

As to the original question:

Same use year means ease of keeping track and you can combine the points from the contracts to reserve any given night (at 11 months out if points are for same resort; at 7 if different resorts). You cannot do that with different use years. If you want to use two different use years for one trip in the same type room, you either have to transfer points from one use year to the other, or reserve some nights with one use year, and then reserve the remaining nights with the second use year, and that would be two separate reservations.

If you go the transfer method, the online system is still not set up to allow you to combine your points in one use year with the points in another use year to do a single reservation at 8 a.m.; instead you have to call MS at 9 to do that and thus lose that one hour difference in being able to get the reservation at 11 or 7 months out.

If you use the two separate reservations method, you can have MS link the reservations. Though there was some risk in the past, there is no longer any risk of having to change rooms or having to check-in twice when you do so. As long as you add both of the linked reservations to your MDE account, the reservation system is set up now so that the resort will recognize those reservations as one continuous reservation and treat them the same as a single reservation at the resort.

The different use years will appear in your same DVC online account as long as the deeds have the same owner names, but each will show its activities separately (you click on one use year to get its information and the other to get its). They will be billed separately for annual dues, and you need to pay each separately. The banking dates will, of course, differ. Each could have different benefits restrictions depending on when purchased if they are resale contracts. However, for most benefits you just need one use year that qualifies for them (and make sure you bring the applicable card for that one when you go to WDW). Since the two use years will have different membership numbers, you can get the allowable two waitlists for each use year, and can purchase the allowed one time use points for each use year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter