Reminder about next Sunday (August 26)

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Folks, as a friendly reminder, it's deemed a breach of etiquette for anyone to beat me on Buzz Lightyear. ;-).

Just kidding. Here's the real reminder: next Sunday is Disney's annual CHOC Walk in the Park. Consequently, DL will not open until 10:00 (9:00 with EMH). The typical Sunday opening time is 8:00. Saturday is usually an EMH day but won't be next week. The park will open at 8:00 on Saturday. I'll be there on Saturday, then, not on my usual Sunday :-).

As an aside, I updated the DL app moments ago. It's supposed to run more efficiently but it crashed on me the first time I opened it. Seems to work OK now but be advised.

And speaking of Buzz Lightyear...

Here are a few pics from my games today (if anyone's interested).

IMG_6633.JPG

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6630.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder! We’ll be there and I totally forgot about CHOC walk. Oof. As far as Buzz, I’m not so hot, so you’re safe from me. My kids Godfather, though. If he joins us, you may have a contender...

First time going to Disneyland this weekend. Didn't know about this.

So it's going to be absolute madness isn't it? More than usual?

2018 Choc Walk Aug 26th - park crowds?

With good planning and organization, you should be fine. Try to avoid the esplanade and ticket booths on Sunday, especially in the morning. If you need to do anything at the booths, go the night before or wait until later in the day. The Walk participants are a very friendly, cheerful group. Double check the park hours for the Sunday.

2018 Choc Walk Aug 26th - park crowds?

With good planning and organization, you should be fine. Try to avoid the esplanade and ticket booths on Sunday, especially in the morning. If you need to do anything at the booths, go the night before or wait until later in the day. The Walk participants are a very friendly, cheerful group. Double check the park hours for the Sunday.
Thanks for the info, and another dumb question for someone who has only been to WDW. For the MP is it worth getting for the day if I can't even book till im in the parks, and there will already be all the CHOC people since 6am? Also would I be better going to CA for the morning?

Thanks for the info, and another dumb question for someone who has only been to WDW. For the MP is it worth getting for the day if I can't even book till im in the parks, and there will already be all the CHOC people since 6am? Also would I be better going to CA for the morning?

CHOC Walkers are there for fundraising, not to ride rides. This is a charity event, not a party. They cannot book any FPs since they will not have MP. They don't have tickets to the parks, but wristbands that allow them to walk a designated route through the parks. Rides are not open to them until the parks officially open. If walkers want to book FPs, they will have to enter the gates with a valid ticket and either buy MP or go to a FP machine like everyone else. If you are there at park opening and have EMH/MM, go to DL first since that will be the first park to open. Otherwise, both parks will open at 10 am, so DCA would probably be the better choice since you'll be on even footing there. And at that point, you'll have just as much access to FPs as anyone else.
By the way, have you read this classic thread (A DLR Guide for WDW Vets)? Lots of helpful information there!

Last edited:
CHOC Walkers are there for fundraising, not to ride rides. This is a charity event, not a party. They cannot book any FPs since they will not have MP. They don't have tickets to the parks, but wristbands that allow them to walk a designated route through the parks. Rides are not open to them until the parks officially open. If walkers want to book FPs, they will have to enter the gates with a valid ticket and either buy MP or go to a FP machine like everyone else. If you are there at park opening and have EMH/MM, go to DL first since that will be the first park to open. Otherwise, both parks will open at 10 am, so DCA would probably be the better choice since you'll be on even footing there. And at that point, you'll have just as much access to FPs as anyone else.
By the way, have you read this classic thread (A DLR Guide for WDW Vets)? Lots of helpful information there!
Many thanks again!!!

William Allingham 1824-1889 wrote a poem....called faeries.....look it up, could win you $100.00 in a trivia question one day. Everyone should know the answer, I did not know it until today when looking for a comeback to WonkaKid's breach of etiquette....which hunting in the glenn is a breaking of etiquette.....so is falling into chocolate....as the film is more about etiquette than chocolate. As for the faeries at Disneyland....if they can make you break etiquette at rope drop....they sure can also mix chocolate.

We watched F! Last night. Book a dining package at River Belle or Blue Bayou. Nothing beats a great view and being able to sit before and during the show. You can thank me later

In a similar boat here as well as DL first-timers wondering about how crazy the CHOC walk will make things and if DCA would be a better choice to start the day on Sunday? Do the crowds from this event usually thin by evening?

In a similar boat here as well as DL first-timers wondering about how crazy the CHOC walk will make things and if DCA would be a better choice to start the day on Sunday? Do the crowds from this event usually thin by evening?

CHOC Walk or no CHOC Walk, having a dining package for F! is always an advantage. The dining package viewing areas have the closest, most centered views and give you seated (on the ground) viewing. Since the viewing areas are reserved, that can save you hours of waiting for a standing (possibly very bad) viewing spot with a free FP. For any weekend in the summer, I'd recommend a F! dining package if the budget allows. As I stated above, since DL has EMH/MM at 9 am, I would start at DCA where you will have equal footing with everyone else entering. (If you have a MM and can use it another day with an earlier time, I would do that.) Crowds from the morning's Walk are not going to thin dramatically by evening because this will still be a summer weekend when the top 3 passes are good and many people are trying to fit in one last visit before school starts. With good planning and organization and a positive attitude, you'll be fine!

Last edited:
Also, Halloween is my favorite holiday/time of year. I was glad to see Halloween merch on the shelves last Sunday. If it were up to me, it would never be off the shelves ;-).

4631315E-A027-45DA-A4B2-F4366FC72CBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, Halloween is my favorite holiday/time of year. I was glad to see Halloween merch on the shelves last Sunday. If it were up to me, it would never be off the shelves ;-).

View attachment 345427
I went early Saturday morning for a couple of hours just to grab some of the Halloween merchandise! I'm not able to go for a full day until September and didn't want to risk things selling out lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter