REMINDER: Keep your stuff close

A few years ago we were at the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party for the 4th July fireworks and this was when tables were still pre-assigned and people got up and stood at the railings to watch them. Anyway, someone left their Ray-Bans on their table while they were watching the fireworks and when they went back to their table when it was over they’d gone. Security was called and it was obviously someone at the party who had taken them, which is scary to think. Don’t know if it was resolved or not as a lot of people left the party area immediately after the fireworks that night.

Honestly, with the stuff that people leave on tables or in strollers unattended, I am shocked more things don't get taken. I am sorry but leaving your phone, purse, camera, expensive sun glasses, or anything of value unattended is irresponsible. Sure people shouldn't take things, but they do. It's no secret that theft occurs so it is up to everyone else to be more careful.

That's a shame and it's unfortunate this is the world we live in today.

I think many people don't even think about protecting everything they bring into the parks as they get caught up in being at Disney or they just believe their items will be safe.

I know I always carry a backpack and when I'm standing in line I take the backpack off my shoulders and hold it in front of me just to be on the safe side so nobody can try to unzip my bag. Shame it's gotta be like that but I rather be safe than sorry.
That’s what I do with my backpack as well.

Being at Disney doesn’t make your stuff safe!!!

Here now, very crowded and people are leaving stuff unattended.

Family next to me talking to management -
2 strollers were emptied of everything. Kids souvenirs, Minnie ears, magicBands - everything.

Leave nothing! you want to keep.

Look, I get we're in Disney, but that doesn't mean people won't steal. Souvenirs for my family aren't purchased till we are ready to exit a park. Magicbands stay on our wrists. My phone as well as debit card, and my medicine are in my fanny pack on my waist. When son was younger and used a stroller, the only thing we left in it was the change of clothes and snacks.

I hate that for that family, but certain things have to be secured at all times.

Being at Disney doesn’t make your stuff safe!!!

Here now, very crowded and people are leaving stuff unattended.

Family next to me talking to management -
2 strollers were emptied of everything. Kids souvenirs, Minnie ears, magicBands - everything.

Leave nothing! you want to keep.

You mean those RFID trackers that can pinpoint your location across most of WDW property? Huh.

Personally, I'd be more worried leaving my food that I plan to eat. Crazy people out there. I'd worry they would do something to my food, even if it couldn't kill me and it's just something gross.

Sorry, that's just not something that really worries us. If you're worried about that, there could be a crazy person putting something in the food you buy too.

We once saw a squirrel eating snacks out of the bottom of someone’s stroller. He was sitting in the bottom basket having a feast. I hate to think that the family may have returned and not even known then ate the rest of those snacks. So gross.

Yeah, I've seen squirrels digging into open food bags. We have an insulated bag with a zipper. It would take quite a bit of work for them to get to our food.

Honestly, with the stuff that people leave on tables or in strollers unattended, I am shocked more things don't get taken. I am sorry but leaving your phone, purse, camera, expensive sun glasses, or anything of value unattended is irresponsible. Sure people shouldn't take things, but they do. It's no secret that theft occurs so it is up to everyone else to be more careful.

I get surprised also. Then again, I see students leave $1,000 MacBooks out in the open when they go grab lunch in another part of the student center. I was paranoid enough to keep everything expensive on me all the time (still do that at work with a phone case that holds my debit card and ID). Heck, I was getting anxious leaving my laptop in my boyfriend's car when we went to eat for a few hours before going to a bookstore to plan our next Disney trip.

Have to be smart about things. No, being inside the Disney bubble doesn't mean bad things don't happen and people won't do illegal things. Would you leave a stroller full of valuables unattended at the bus stop in Manhattan or outside of a grocery store in L.A.?

We've had an empty popcorn bucket stolen from our stroller. We don't keep anything but jackets and water in it so the pickings were slim. My son also had a toy sword taken. He accidentally dropped it from the train platform above splash. Even though he bolted down the stairs in a panic, by the time we got there it was gone. Someone must have picked it up and walked away with it. So even in a very brief time, things can walk away at Disney.

Personally, I'd be more worried leaving my food that I plan to eat. Crazy people out there. I'd worry they would do something to my food, even if it couldn't kill me and it's just something gross.
with food I would be more worried about the furry thieves and yes I have seen them going stroller to stroller helping themselves as they went

Sorry, that's just not something that really worries us. If you're worried about that, there could be a crazy person putting something in the food you buy too.

Yeah, I've seen squirrels digging into open food bags. We have an insulated bag with a zipper. It would take quite a bit of work for them to get to our food.
I have seen them chew thru insulated bags and it did not take much. no where as much time as I expected. chewed thru a corner not the zipper

magicBands - everything..
Your Magic Band is your park ticket. Who'd leave a $400 bill laying around?
Yikes! I do feel bad for them.
Yes, I feel 90% badly for them, but it's tempered with 10% "what were you thinking?"
It’s sad- but you need be diligent. When we went in August it was amazing at the security lines how some families looked as if they were moving into parks. Bringing so much stuff in. Then seeing strollers overloaded
Yes, once your kids are past the toddler stage, hauling in extra clothes, water bottles, and more is really questionable.
This is VERY hard to do practically. The thief can easily say, "Oh, so sorry. We have almost identical things! I'm tired. I'm completely sure these were my things." You can't really argue with that unless someone's name or personally identifiable information is attached securely to the stolen property.
Confession time: I went to Chickfillet to pick up breakfast on the way to work, and I went into the building. When I returned to my car, I opened the door and sat down, and immediately I realized IT WASN'T MY CAR. Someone else's bag was on the passenger seat! I couldn't get out of that car fast enough, but -- wouldn't you know it? The real owners were just coming out of the restaurant, and they saw me. I couldn't apologize enough /fast enough, and I pointed at my identical car only two spaces down. Fortunately they could see I was carrying only my wallet and my take-out bag, and they laughed instead of being angry. It really was an accident, but I could have died of shame.
We once saw a squirrel eating snacks out of the bottom of someone’s stroller. He was sitting in the bottom basket having a feast. I hate to think that the family may have returned and not even known then ate the rest of those snacks. So gross.
I had the same experience at a company picnic, but it was seagulls.

That's why I believe in renting strollers and spending money on the insurance. And after watching in person that notorious gang of thieves (squirrels) near the Coral Sea Restaurant I don't let anyone leave food in the strollers.

I love watching them. It's amazing they can unzip a bag so well.

We saw an entire family bringing rollies (like carry-on rollies) into AK.... Why is that allowed?!? They got into line at FoP with them!

Sadly Disney is terrible about keeping this in check. Last few years I've lost count of folks pulling wheeled backpacks behind them, wheeled coolers behind them, small suitcases behind them, wagons behind them ......... all not supposed to be happening. Disney has lost control of the wheeled things coming in the park.

But we don't know how much is stolen. Unless you are there when they are reporting it, no one has that info. And the folks on DIS are a teeny tiny fraction of the folks going ... and we are hopefully the more in tune ones and it's not happening to us. The fact that I've been right by folks reporting a theft of some kind many times tells me it happens often.

Look, I get we're in Disney, but that doesn't mean people won't steal. Souvenirs for my family aren't purchased till we are ready to exit a park. Magicbands stay on our wrists. My phone as well as debit card, and my medicine are in my fanny pack on my waist. When son was younger and used a stroller, the only thing we left in it was the change of clothes and snacks.

I hate that for that family, but certain things have to be secured at all times.

I didn't stare them down, but since she was listing off all kinds of kids stuff I think it was likely the kids MagicBands and whether they were dangling or in bags I don't know. But I agree, our stroller was left virtually empty. We had it set up to keep all in easily grab-able backpacks that we took on rides with us. Maybe a small blanket got left behind as we often had one under them.

You mean those RFID trackers that can pinpoint your location across most of WDW property? Huh.

Your Magic Band is your park ticket. Who'd leave a $400 bill laying around?
Yes, I feel 90% badly for them, but it's tempered with 10% "what were you thinking?"
Yes, once your kids are past the toddler stage, hauling in extra clothes, water bottles, and more is really questionable.

As I said above I'm thinking it might have been the kids' MagicBands, many don't wear them. They may have been in a bag they took. But I would bet a bundle of money most people wearing them have no idea they can be tracked. If it was another "guest" I would say they either don't know they are tracking devices or that they were in what ever they took. If they were a "local bandit" then my guess is they were inside something as I don't think they would take them. I honestly don't think Disney will track them in this situation.

You know I kudo you for feeling 90% bad for them ........ my empathy wasn't anywhere near that. You leave valuables out of sight and unattended ... it's totally on you. I don't see how Disney is supposed to be replacing everything you left out to be stolen. Now out of good will they should give them new MagicBands and maybe a $50 Disney gift card ... but imagine how many times they'll hear that story if that gets out.

This is VERY hard to do practically. The thief can easily say, "Oh, so sorry. We have almost identical things! I'm tired. I'm completely sure these were my things." You can't really argue with that unless someone's name or personally identifiable information is attached securely to the stolen property.

In this day and age… everything needs to be marked both visably as a deterrent and discreetly to make sure. I’m a bit paranoid with that sort of stuff. Maybe that’s the city mouse in me… Our stroller has a bright luggage tag on the handle with a metal zip tie, last name in silver sharpie down the side and under the seat. No question, this one is ours... and not attractive to anyone else. Although I would never bring a crazy $$$ stroller to the parks either.

That’s just awful. And so sad that’s there are bad among us that d ruin someone’s family time like that.
But it’s Avoidable.. don’t leave Anything unprotected.. disney, the Beach.. anywhere.

Generally, I bring with me only what fits in my pockets. IF I have my camera bag along, it has a tracker attached to the camera, and tucked into the strap in a way that makes it not super obvious, so I have at least a chance of tracking it down should it walk away on me.

I was talking with one of the Janitors at the GF pool area our last trip and he said it happens alot by the pools as people leave their stuff unattended on the chairs and tables.

Thieves congregate in tourist areas - News at 11.

I once caught a pickpocket red-handed in Madrid. The light changed and I had to cross the street with my group before I could come up with a suitable insult in Spanish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter