RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

PS - looking at the Halloween activities, it's clear (and verbal word from Fort personnel) is that Disney intends to prevent trick or treating. And to prevent people from coming to the Fort if they are not a registered Fort guest. Even though it has always been offered "by campers for campers" and not run by Disney, they intend to employ a heavy hand this year. There are safe, acceptable ways to maintain social distancing and use common sense while ToT but that's not them.
We went looping after we left you guys last night. I heard from a bus driver that there was possibly a lot of ToT going on. ;) Of course I have no first hand information but it might just be possible that there may be a way that it could be done to make they kids happy and still social distance.... ;) ;) ;)
Just sayn'......

Rode over to 1100 again this morning and met @tiggerdad and his lovely family. I think I've still missed a few and I'm sorry.
Lori and I went for a Skyliner tour this afternoon. She really enjoyed it, one more thing checked off her bucket list. Thanks to everyone who gave me the best way to do it!
I really wasn't up for another trip to WDW but I came just to meet everyone I could who was at the meet. Very glad I did. You all are a great group and made the trip well worth while. For all who are heading out, drive safe. Our best to all of you.

Last edited:
Was finally able to meet @Stratman50th today. Great discussion with him. It included thoughts on Disney, living in Florida, and running over alligators with a golf cart...
tenor-9.gif

Story for another time...

This morning I took ladies up to Tri Circle D for horseback riding. No pics, sorry. They don't allow pics once on horseback and I was first one in the saddle. I will say, it lasted about 30-45 minutes and CMs were great. Saw some deer, squirrels, and tourists. If you ride regularly this will not be for you. If no experience and kids like horses its right up your alley.

Doing some packing and making some calls today about setting up our next Dismeet.

After a late lunch, we biked down to the TriCircleD area to get a halloween-type souvenir pin for DD. On the way I stuck my phone over the fence and took a picture of River Country.

20201016_122559.jpg

The horses were getting their share of TLC.

20201016_122735.jpg

In the main breezeway of the TCD is the pony ride office. Note the newer pricing.

Just past the office on the back (long) side of the TCD is the pony loop. One rider had just set off.

20201016_123003.jpg

Anyway here is the Sleepy Hollow pin we got for her (since the SH event is not being held this year). It's marked '2020' which won't be a year to forget.

While we were down that way, DW suggested we ride down to Wilderness Lodge again and walk around. She had like the view (albeit at night) from the far side of Geyser Point closest to Bay Lake and wanted to see it and the lobby during the daytime. So we set off.

The bus dropped us at WL and before walking over to Geyser Point I walked down to the WL of the Exercise Trail that comes down from Fort Wilderness. According to the drawings that are publicly available, the ET was supposed to be torn up to lay in new utility lines of various types to the stalled DVC. Overhead satellite photos in Google Earth appeared to confirm that but they're not from KeyHole satellites. It had to be seen for real.

So at the terminus end there were two trucks and nobody around. No signs that I could see. Do you see any in this direction?

20201016_125105.jpg

Here is looking back at WL.

20201016_125113.jpg

I ventured up to the back of the truck on the right and looked down to the left where the ET should have been (or was).

20201016_124934.jpg

Over near the other, bigger truck was a better view down the line and a workman out there in the distance doing something.

20201016_125032.jpg

So not much to see - which is the point. It is still a work in progress but it's definitely not available for biking and walking/jogging. Riding the bus yesterday back and forth between Settlement and MK, the new sidewalk that appears in front of the new TCD extends down to where the new road extension meets the old existing Wilderness Way. From there the old ET is torn up just like it appears at the WL end. It's a sandy cleared area for now.

Bama Ed

PS - last post for today coming up

Last edited:

The Lodge is lovely inside but feels a little empty since only the DVC side of the main building has guests. But the fireplace and the totem poles still soar.

20201016_130717.jpg

20201016_130737.jpg

We drifted through the WL Mercantile (gift shop) and one thing struck me as funny.

20201016_131849.jpg

So sad - those folks don't know what they're missing (and let's try to keep it that way, shall we? :rolleyes: ).

Back at our loop, a horse was getting some exercise as he came by this afternoon.

20201016_140429.jpg

Later I moved the puzzle table back out to the road this afternoon to try to get it finished before everyone leaves tomorrow. People had drifted back mostly from their daily activities.

20201016_173413.jpg

It's getting very close to being done. We'll see what we can do before everyone pulls out.

Let's go see whose campsite is hosting the pow-wow tonight.

Bama Ed

PS - pow-wow was at tigger92662's site

Last edited:
Me and my DW went looping with @Bishoparc and his DW to check out Halloween decorations. We went through several and the Full loops (1600-1900) has the best selection currently. Here are the best of what we saw tonight. 👻

20201016_213627.jpg

20201016_213709.jpg

20201016_214553.jpg

The image of the green ghost above was moving and being projected onto the ghost figure. Sort of like how the singing bust faces are projected in the cemetery scene of HM.

20201016_215258.jpg

20201016_213832.jpg

In this pirate decoration above, they were projecting one of the PoC movies with Johnny Depp onto the smooth front nose of their trailer over on the right side. Cool.

'Night. 😴

ED

Well today was a trip over to EPCOT, started with Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Living with the land, Soarin, Figment, O Canada, some shopping in Japan. We then headed to Mexico, rode the 3 Cabelleros, and headed to Germany for dinner. After dinner it was Mousegears and a bus ride back to the Fort. We hit the Dismeeting to say goodbye to all and we may still see a few in the AM as we get ready to roll out.
While is was not the greatest trip we have had, it was missing a lot of pixie dust, did not feel very magical at times, this trip was about seeing our DIS family and that above all made this trip memorable. Our Dis family is already looking to get together again, and it will be time to start planning. I will put pictures up and add a short TR over on my Foolish Mortals thread. Tomorrow we break it all up and head home. Safe travels to our Dis family until we get together again. Thank you to all of you for making this week great for us.

Me and my DW went looping with @Bishoparc and his DW to check out Halloween decorations. We went through several and the Full loops (1600-1900) has the best selection currently. Here are the best of what we saw tonight. 👻

20201016_213627.jpg

20201016_213709.jpg

20201016_214553.jpg

The image of the green ghost above was being projected onto the ghost figure. Sort of like how the singing bust faces are projected in the cemetery scene of HM.

20201016_215258.jpg

20201016_213832.jpg

In this pirate decoration above, they were projecting one of the PoC movies with Johnny Depp onto the smooth front nose of their trailer. Cool.

'Night. 😴

ED

Go to bed already.

I am sitting at the end of my campsite nearest the loop road as the sun comes up watching our DISMeet folks pull out this morning. :sad:

Teamubr pulled out on schedule in the dark. Garneska has left headed for the hookup area before leaving the Fort. Tiggerdad pulled out most recently with his ladies waving as they went by.

In about 20 minutes we will open the puzzle and try to get it finished with Bishoparc.

Ed

Last edited:
Tigger92662 left about 9am and PaHunter left when the puzzle was done about 945am. Only himandher818 left yet.

@Bishoparc, we will be pulling out early Sunday morning so I deputize you to be the last DISMeet attendee in 1100 to turn out the lights when you leave tomorrow.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Tiggerdad pulled out of the fort while we hooked up the car, but we got ahead of them. They passed us going north on 75 just as we pulled into the rest stop. Maddison’s bike is very notable. There was an accident on 75 just north of Ocala. Did not slow us down much. I was not fast enough to get the camera but it was a mail truck that dropped its mail.

mallory had some big fun these two weeks. She does not usually sleep while driving but here you go.

6E32DA24-730D-4078-B920-8FC410E62F70.jpeg

.... and himandher818 pulled out this morning a little after 11am I think it was. In with a new wave.

Running some errands around the Fort and taking pix - this time up towards the front side.

Still got some things to do.

Bama Ed

@bama_ed Thank you for the updates along with everybody else. Felt like I was there. I certainly appreciate the details from the ET progress. Doesn't look like it'll be available for my December trip. Safe travels everybody!

Yesterday late afternoon looked like a lot of campers arriving for their turn ... Hope for more reports & pics !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!