RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

We just rolled in. No issues along way. I did get to honk at @garneska as they were entering rest area. No vehicle fires, however there was a mail truck on I75 that had crashed in median and spilled its cargo of mail. Everyone seemed okay.

We stopped at Dothan exit on I10 for lunch and topped off at Bucees (still $1.84 a gallon for diesel).

In mail when I got home was a thank you card for ALL of us. I posted it on the chit chat thread, I'd like for everyone to take a look.

Gotta get unpacked. I'll post a few pics from trip that were not previously posted.

I also updated the rocking chair thread, but I'll have to see if it gets council approval.

20201016_150401.jpg

20201016_150341.jpg

20201016_150356.jpg

20201015_155228.jpg

20201015_153345.jpg

20201015_124844.jpg

A long, long day of driving is complete.

We rolled out of our site right at 0630 this morning. Thank you Ed for the send off. It was nice seeing you one last time.

Traffic was a typical Saturday with people heading home from the beaches and Disney. Michael and Kris documented the slow downs we had through to Atlanta. We have one more big slow down south of Nashville, but we still made it home by 9:15 StL time, so 10:15 Disney time. For those doing the clock math, 15 hours 45 minutes for the 1003 miles. When we rolled out, Google said it would take 14:59. We stopped 3 times. 2 for food and bathroom and 1 for fuel. Overall we made pretty good time considering the wrecks/fires slowing things down along the way.

I'll pull out some of the best pics from all of our phones tomorrow and post some more on here.

I'm tired and need some sleep now.

j

Well we will be hitting the road shortly for another travel day, today our destination is Fort Chiswell RV park in VA. Google showing just over 5 hours travel today. I figure maybe 6. Everyone travel safe and I have some pictures to post tonight as I am hotspotting here. Tonight will have solid wi-fi.

Well Atlanta blows. There was a car on fire

View attachment 532854

through the city a mess. Taking 285 around on the West side construction will add 25 minutes but still faster than 75 😩

live been traveling between Florida and Atlanta via i75 for about 20 years. For some reason the stretch north of Macon about 30-60 miles south of Atlanta is like the frickin Bermuda Triangle for highway wrecks. I honestly can’t recall a time when we were driving home that a wreck south of 675 didn’t cause major backup.

Last edited:

Ed, really enjoyed the mega comprehensive bike tours you've posted in this thread.

Safe travels to the rest on the road.

Well I “turned the lights off” on the 1100 loop around 9:07A CDT this morning and just pulled in to the house at 5:07P CDT. Unfortunately I picked up some kind of bug while down there. Glad to be home but greatly enjoyed our time with everyone.

@PaHunter, looks like I took a couple of casualties myself. Lost the lid to my propane tanks and the part of my sway bar that attaches to the truck’s hitch broke in half:crutches:

Well I “turned the lights off” on the 1100 loop around 9:07A CDT this morning and just pulled in to the house at 5:07P CDT. Unfortunately I picked up some kind of bug while down there. Glad to be home but greatly enjoyed our time with everyone.

Arc, did you hear me honk the horn twice this morning as we pulled out past your site at 615am? :drive: Nobody was in Teamubr's site last night and there is no site at all on the other side of you so I figured what the heck.

We just got home. Will unpack tomorrow. May add a short post tonight.

Ed

Well I have made it home now, and got the important stuff unpacked( fridge and computer).

We left Eagle's Roost at .... 10:58 this morning. Kinda creepy in a groundhog day kinda way (see post #610 above).

Atlanta was typical, slow down. and stop, cruise at 35mph, repeat. I never saw why, but then again I watching the tail lights in front of me and trying to make sure I was in correct lane at the correct time.

Pulled into the driveway at home just before 5:00.

Time to start planning the trip.

Uhhh, you mean like saw it on the ground and picked it up...?
Sadly Michael I suspect he is referring to whatever version of the DISNEY CREEPING CRAWLIG CRUD is currently active. I hope it is not what I came home with. Full Blown Pneumonia that it took Docs 5 days and 6 different antibiotics to get under control.

Arrived home about 5:30pm.
Welcome back to the midwest.
Rainy and dismal through upper Indiana.
Cleared up by the time we got home and was welcomed with this, though it is 40 degrees
20201018_174727_copy_490x303.jpg
Doggie was tired from all the driving
20201018_171142_copy_441x487.jpg
And kitty had enough when we got home
20201018_200445_copy_490x364.jpg
DW's boyfriend gifted us with this for taking him along. Its a hanging spinny thing.
20201018_201319_copy_471x477.jpg

Lastly this afternoon, new folks started arriving and setting up in "our" sites. A Mississippi State fan (front truck license plate and t-shirt confirm) tried to back into tigger92662's site that he left this morning which is directly across from me and took out Teamubr's pumpkin I had adopted and the my light post.
Those dang Mississippi fans. What were they driving that they hit they light and squashed the punkin'?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter