rent , buy or book ??

bex7583

DIS Veteran
ok so im thinking about our next trip 2015 and we looked it to dvc last year and have had all the brochures sent and spoke to them over the phone about it and we feel certain its something we are interested in

so my question is ?

will it be better for us to purchase it now from the uk and use our points for next years trip or book a holiday as normal and buy it face to face so any final details and questions can be thoroughly gone through

or should we try rent points to get a better price on teh larger room we need and buy while there ?

I am going to move this over to the DVC forum for you, as you will likely get more answers there.

However, my twopenneth worth (for what it's worth). I believe, if you are planning to finance, that you have to be present to buy anyway. Although I don't know 100% so someone may correct me on that.

If you are planning another trip already and know when you want to go, it may be more beneficial to buy in advance as (depending on use year) you should get your current UY points so would already make a saving on your accommodation costs. depending on when you want to go, you may not have time to get everything finalised, get your member number and contract and be able to book where you want to stay in time for your next trip anyway so it might all be moot.

However, having said that, if you have done all the research and made the decision that you definitely want to buy, I couldn't see any reason to fork out on accommodation for your next trip if you could use DVC.

The first thing to understand is if DVC is a good fit for you:
- do you go to WDW or Disneyland (California, not Paris) at least every three year and plan to continue to do so for at least 10 years?

If you need to skip one year or more you could rent your points, but while at the moment the rental market is healty and it's easy to rent also with a nice profit, it is not guaranteed it will continue this wat forever. For many timeshares weeks are rented for less than the cost of the maintenance fees. It probably won't happen to DVC, but look into DVC only if you plan to use it

- do you have the money to pay it in advance?

If you finance, expecially at Disney's 10% "preferred" rate, most if not all the savings DVC could provide would be eaten by the interests.

- do you stay at deluxe resorts when you go to Disney?

DVC saves money only when compared to Deluxes resorts (and a tiny bit of savings when compared to moderates). Or for around the cot of a value/moderate you can upgrade to a better room

- do you plan to book studios or a two bedroom instead of two double rooms at deluxe? Of are you happy to pay more for a one bedroom?

If you book a one bedroom you'll get a much nicer accommodation than an hotel room: a full kitchen, whasher/dryer in the room etc. But it will cost more than a deluxe hotel room

- do you know the differences between DVC and a normal hotel room?

you won't get daily housekeeping, you need to book far in advance (sometimes 11 months are required), no free dining or other offers.

- do you plan to use DVC only for DVC resorts stay?

any additional incentives, like using points for cruises or hotel rooms are an AWFUL use of the points. Buying DVC to cruise every year would cost you much much more than paying cash for the cruises. And exchange into resorts outside DVC (using RCI exchanges) is often not a good value either.

That leads to:

- do you know about the resale market?

buying resale you can pay as low as half than direct! And perks you loose are really a bad usage of points anyway.
Resale is the way to go in 99% of the cases. There just are a few exceptions to this rule (VGC, small addons in small resorts, want to stay at VGF every year and want to buy immediately).

So my suggestion is: spend a bit of time on the DVC boards to learn everything about the system. This will require 4-6 months. Then evaluate to purchase resale. You can buy resale from home, you will deal with the brokers using email and post.
Another good idea is to rent points for at least a trip, so you can stay at a resort before buying there. It's a good idea to visit the ground before commiting to a purchase.

DVC is a big commitment, do not rush it.

You have already had some great advice however before buying make sure you fully understand what you are buying.

It is a timeshare at the end of the day and while there is a good resale market there may not always be.

If you are going to have to finance for any more than a year then I suggest you wait - it is a luxury at the end of the day.

Staying on DVC points is a lot more restrictive than cash bookings. There is no daily housekeeping, charges if you want extra towels or cleans. If you don't like your room after you have been to it they will charge you to move you.

Certain resorts and times of year book really fast. I have friends that couldn't get all the nights they wanted at OKW in November at the 7 month window.

We had been every year for 4 years before buying - that way we were certain we would keep going back.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you don't qualify for any offers and perks come and go. Also you still have to buy park tickets, food and the biggest expense is flights. You can't wait for the bargain flights at the last minute as you won't get accommodation and flights are not getting any cheaper.

Take your time and do the sums - our DVC should break even this year after 5 years.

i am not bothered about been in moderate or deluxe but i want all 5 of us in the 1 room

i am not bothered about been in moderate or deluxe but i want all 5 of us in the 1 room

To get 5 people in one room at a DVC resort you are looking at:
  • Studios at GFV or VWL
  • One beds at AKV, BLT, OKW or VGF
  • Any two bedroom
    [\LIST]

The cheapest option for 5 (in cash terms) is POR then AoA a suite. If you are happy in either of those then DVC will take a long time to pay off and even more if you need to finance.

we stayed in or last visit and did really like it , the room wasnt huge but it was a lovely resort and we didnt really do much in the room apart from sleep

the aoa suite was more expensive than the por when we priced up.

i think we need to just go back on a holiday and visit the dvc sales centre and go through everything

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter