Rent Out reservation--Credit card question

bababear_50

DIS Veteran
I became sick just before the holidays and I am unable to go to Disney World Jan 1-Jan 6th.
I used David Vacation Club rental to rent out the reservation. They are closed today.
I got a charge on my account today for front desk check in????....DVC member services closed.
Front Desk at OKW says everyone is busy and they can't do anything till tomorrow.
How can this happen when no ID or credit card was shown at check in ,,I'm back here in Canada.
I just cancelled my credit card.

Thanks
Mel

Are you a member or the renter of this reservation? Because the member would be the only party able to talk to MS (and if it went through Davids, then they would contact the member).

However, the 'charge' is most likely a hold on you card for about 100 bucks - they started doing this recently (past year, I think), with whatever card you provided for online check-in. If you don't actually spend any money (charges to room), then the 'hold' goes away.

Yes, this is just a temporary hold to the CC you used when you did online check in,

Since you are not checking in and no charges would be incurring, it won’t actually hit.

Contact David’s tomorrow, if you have not already, so the owner knows that you did not use the reservation and they can monitor their account to be sure everything is canceled correctly. The owner loses the points, but at least they will know you didn’t use it.

Hi
I am the DVC member/owner.
I rented out the confirmed reservation to a couple using David's DVC rentals.
I changed the names on the reservation via Member services(phone call),,and it listed their names on the reservation. (I also added their email and home address).
They checked in today NOT me.
But my credit card got accessed for a charge. (It did hit my credit card).

So people who have rented out a reservation how do you remove your credit card from your account?
Can you do online check in without a credit card?
Edited to add--so yes I did do online check in a long time ago and I guess I should have asked MS to cancel that,,my fault.
I did unlink my Disney Experience,,
Oh well lesson learned,,I've never been in a situation where I've had cancel a disney trip & rent out a reservation before.

Thanks
Mel

Last edited:

Hi
I am the DVC member/owner.
I rented out the confirmed reservation to a couple using David's DVC rentals.
I changed the names on the reservation via Member services(phone call),,and it listed their names on the reservation. (I also added their email and home address).
They checked in today NOT me.
But my credit card got accessed for a charge. (It did hit my credit card).

So people who have rented out a reservation how do you remove your credit card from your account?
Can you do online check in without a credit card?
Edited to add--so yes I did do online check in a long time ago and I guess I should have asked MS to cancel that,,my fault.
I did unlink my Disney Experience,,
Oh well lesson learned,,I've never been in a situation where I've had cancel a disney trip & rent out a reservation before.

Thanks
Mel

Got it. Yes, if it was linked to your MDE, then until they got there and checked in to change it to their card, it’s why it happened.

I never thought about that but glad you were able to unlink the reservstion.

Got it. Yes, if it was linked to your MDE, then until they got there and checked in to change it to their card, it’s why it happened.

I never thought about that but glad you were able to unlink the reservation.

Hi Sandi
No it should not have been linked to MDE as I cancelled that when I booked the new people onto the reservation with Member Services (DVC) via phone a few weeks ago.The MS agent assured me she unlinked it as per David's vacation club instructions to me.When I checked online a couple days later it was not under MDE account.
I am going to follow up with David's tomorrow and see what I did wrong ,,,(which I think was not telling MS (Member services) to cancel my online check in,,that I did probably a couple of months ago ,,,my fault).
Wish I was there in Disney but I am in need of gallbladder surgery ASAP.
Oh well I have another trip booked for March so all is not lost.

Thanks
Mel

Hi Sandi
No it should not have been linked to MDE as I cancelled that when I booked the new people onto the reservation with Member Services (DVC) via phone a few weeks ago.The MS agent assured me she unlinked it as per David's vacation club instructions to me.When I checked online a couple days later it was not under MDE account.
I am going to follow up with David's tomorrow and see what I did wrong ,,,(which I think was not telling MS (Member services) to cancel my online check in,,that I did probably a couple of months ago ,,,my fault).
Wish I was there in Disney but I am in need of gallbladder surgery ASAP.
Oh well I have another trip booked for March so all is not lost.

Thanks
Mel

Thanks for more details. Yeah, I wonder why then. It will be good to learn what else you should have done.

Ive seen posts about this in the past and the person had a major issue getting it resolved. It had something to do with once you enter a credit card it never really is removed when you change the names on the reservation even if the other party adds a credit card. The other person was getting all their charges on their card. you need to call the resort and get it worked out. you can try member services but I dont think they will be able to help.

Ive seen posts about this in the past and the person had a major issue getting it resolved. It had something to do with once you enter a credit card it never really is removed when you change the names on the reservation even if the other party adds a credit card. The other person was getting all their charges on their card. you need to call the resort and get it worked out. you can try member services but I dont think they will be able to help.

Hi ,,thanks for your post.
I did call OKW Resort this morning and they said they would email the *backroom* however,,Member Services was not open for them to contact (phone),,, I was not leaving this to chance and cancelled the credit card and also told credit card company I did not authorize the one transaction from OKW resort,,(which I am assuming is something that now is applied to all people that check in with a credit card attached to their account). I will clarify this with member service tomorrow.

If I have to attach a credit card when doing online check in I will not be doing it in the future.

Regards
Mel

Hi ,,thanks for your post.
I did call OKW Resort this morning and they said they would email the *backroom* however,,Member Services was not open for them to contact (phone),,, I was not leaving this to chance and cancelled the credit card and also told credit card company I did not authorize the one transaction from OKW resort,,(which I am assuming is something that now is applied to all people that check in with a credit card attached to their account). I will clarify this with member service tomorrow.

If I have to attach a credit card when doing online check in I will not be doing it in the future.

Regards
Mel
In my experience, I've always had to have a credit card attached to my account to do on-line check in. When I've tried to do it without the card attached, it asks me to add it as part of the process and won't let me continue until I've added the card. So, I just don't do on-line check in's anymore.

Looks like something got mixed up as the people currently staying in my reservation also had their Credit Card swiped and place on the account for the check in process. Both credit cards being charged was maybe due to OKW check in staff mistake.
I am trying to contact MS to see if I do need a credit card attached to my reservation for online check in,,,wait time is 30 minutes.

Thanks Shellyred8 for sharing your experience.

Regards
Mel

I just got off the phone with Member Services.
When you do online check in you have to have a Credit Card linked to it.
A hold of $100.00 USD is placed against the Credit Card upon check-in.

Good information to know going forward.

Mel

I just got off the phone with Member Services.
When you do online check in you have to have a Credit Card linked to it.
A hold of $100.00 USD is placed against the Credit Card upon check-in.

Good information to know going forward.

Mel

It is also good to know that it was an error on their end and not something you didn’t do correctly. It is scary though but glad we now know whT happened

There is a different between a charge and an authorization.

An authorization is just that, the ability to charge the card. It is not a charge to the card - it may or may not become one.

Also note, this is a strong example as to why to not use a debit card. A credit card takes 100 dollars away from your available credit. With a debit card its 100$ in cash that is not usable until the authorization is dropped, and that could be days.

T

Also note, this is a strong example as to why to not use a debit card. A credit card takes 100 dollars away from your available credit. With a debit card its 100$ in cash that is not usable until the authorization is dropped, and that could be days.

Yep, that happened to a friend right after they started this authorization stuff. He had $$ in the bank, but could not access it for 7 business days after we returned from the trip. So actually about a week and a half.

Yep, that happened to a friend right after they started this authorization stuff. He had $$ in the bank, but could not access it for 7 business days after we returned from the trip. So actually about a week and a half.
Happened to a customer of mine in an online retail transaction. She was buying something on line, the authorization went thru, but then the address verification process rejected it (she had just moved), she tried 3 times to make the purchase (it was over 300) so she had 1000$ in CASH tied up as she used her debit card. I called everyone I could but nothing I could do - same answer, the funds will be released when the authorization drops, how long that takes depends on her financial institution. She got her money back, it just took 3 days.

Since that day, I have never used a debit card. But that is just individual choice, as long as people are aware

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter