Rental car really needed?

vascubaguy

DIS Veteran
Ok, if we stay at a hotel near the entrances to the parks, do you think we'd really need a rental car?

I remember things being pretty close, so walking wouldn't be a huge problem. Are there many restaurants off-property that would be in close walking distance?

Just curious... I need to check the cost of renting a car to see what good deals are out there...

If you're staying at a hotel near the parks - and have no plans for non-park activities - then you really don't need a car. Both parks, all the Disney hotels, and DTD are right next to each other. There are also MANY other restaurants within walking distance. We always have our own car there - we park it at the hotel, and never use it until we leave at the end of our vacation!

Hi, vascubaguy!
I agree with AFMom, if you only plan on doing DL and are staying at a hotel near there, you won't need a car.
We only rented one because we went to Carlsbad (100 mile drive) for Legoland one day and then to Hollywood another.
The cost of transportation to those plus airport transfers was going to be much more than our rental car (minivan for a week was $250).
There are lots of restaurants within walking distance of DL and if you don't have any other plans, I'd say forgo the rental car.
It seems like airport transfers run around $10 a person each way with Super Shuttle, so unless you have a really big group, a rental car will probably be more than that (depending on your length of stay).
Check also with your hotel if they charge for parking - That may also help you with your decision.
Happy planning!
Rose :)

Thank you very much for all your responses. It's very helpful. I sayed offsite when I was there last year, but it was a wild week (I was actually in San Diego for a wedding, so it was just a quick trip up to Anaheim for 2 nights then back to San Diego). I dont' remember to much about the surrounding area as we spent most of our time in the parks.

The rental car would be $100-150 so I'd rather just pay the 20 airport transfer and leave the car behind.

Thanks!

If you're not going anywhere else I would not rent the car. Keep in mind that quite a few of the hotels in the area charge for parking. Take the SuperShuttle and don't worry about the car. It's a pain to drive around Anaheim.

We stayed at the Grand and didn't rent a car, we ended up using the shuttle service both ways... didn't miss not having a car ( other then our drive to the hotel may have been shorter).

I think it depends on which airport you're flying into. We flew into LAX and were actually able to get a car rental for a lot cheaper than shuttle would be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter