rental cars?

jltdone

Mouseketeer
I have a few questions about this and we are throwing around a few ideas.
We will not be staying with points so I totally understand parking is at roughly 40 bucks a day.
We will be staying for 9 nights.
How much does it cost to get from HNL airport to Aulani?
If we rent a car right at Aulani to go to pearl Harbour and other sites a couple of times and to Costco and places like that is it pretty pricey to rent right through Aulani?
Or would be just be easier to rent a car from the airport for 10 days and pay the parking rate and be done with it. It would be an additional 400 bucks for parking fee.
ANY TIPS ON this would be great.
In our party there is 5 of us. 4 Adults and 1 child (10) I know he isn't a child under Disney standards.

The Aulani car rental is through Alamo and you can go on their web site listing Aulani as your pick up and drop off location. I looked for a single day for our trip in November, and the rental for a 24-hour period was $78 to $192, depending on the vehicle and didn’t include taxes, location fees, etc. I’m not sure if there is an hourly rate and not sure if you have to pay to park it at Aulani if you keep it for the full 24-hour period.

As for shuttles, people will refer to either Charley’s Taxi or Speedi Shuttle (I haven’t used either so I can’t recommend one or the other).

Charley’s Taxi does a $55 flat rate to Aulani each way that is only for a party of 4 with luggage. Not sure if they offer a larger van or not and what that price is. If not, you’d have to take two taxis for a party of 5 with luggage. So $110 each way.

Speedi has larger vans but quoted around $110 each way for a party of 5 with a shared van and about $170 each way for a dedicated van for a trip in November. Not sure when you’re going but you can check their web site and see the cost for free before booking.

So it looks like the round trip shuttle and 1 day car rental costs about the same as paying to keep a rental a car at Aulani the entire trip. Now the only issue is how many days to you want a car to go off property?

At 9 nights, it all depends on what you want to do. My wife could spend 9 nights and never leave Aulani (except to go to the ABC store across the street). But not me.

You can book an excursion from Aulani to go from Aulani to Pearl, but those start at $52 per person.

It all really depends on how many days you want a car to go off property.

I would suggest if you decide to shuttle to the resort and rent at Aulani that you plan your excursions in consecutive days, ie say 3 days in a row and you may find a cheaper rental

look at rates to rent the whole time. Budget is right at the airport the others you have to take a shuttle to which can burn a lot of time after you land. So we always go with Budget. Also call around to the other Ko’Olina resorts. Marriott is an easy walk along the beach and so is Ko’Olina beach club they also do rentals but not at the Disney pricing Four Seasons is close but they are higher priced.

look at rates to rent the whole time. Budget is right at the airport the others you have to take a shuttle to which can burn a lot of time after you land. So we always go with Budget. Also call around to the other Ko’Olina resorts. Marriott is an easy walk along the beach and so is Ko’Olina beach club they also do rentals but not at the Disney pricing Four Seasons is close but they are higher priced.

Thank you for your help.
I think we are just going to rent a car for the entire trip that way we always have it and we can come and go as we want. The only thing I am not liking is the parking the fee since we will be going for 10 days. Ouch that's another 400 bucks just for parking. Just hope we get a killer deal for a car.

IMO, its worth it to have a rental car for the whole time even if you have to pay for parking. It gives you the flexibility to come and go as you please, run out for groceries or things you forgot, or even just leave Ko Olina for a meal. I've also heard that the Alamo at Aulani can sometimes run out of availability for daily rentals, so that's not something I'd want to deal with either.

IMO, its worth it to have a rental car for the whole time even if you have to pay for parking. It gives you the flexibility to come and go as you please, run out for groceries or things you forgot, or even just leave Ko Olina for a meal. I've also heard that the Alamo at Aulani can sometimes run out of availability for daily rentals, so that's not something I'd want to deal with either.
[/QUOTE
That's what we decided on. We should have enough visa points to take care of the rental for the 10 days now just have to pay that parking fee. I hate paying for parking.

They told me I would get a free rental car for the day with my stay I guess because of the construction this fall.

Ko'Olina is a bit away from most other things. If you plan on staying in the Ko'Olina area, then you wouldn't need a rental car. But if you want to visit other parts of Oahu, definitely get a rental car. Also, Costco is close, you could probably use an Uber or Lyft, or even a taxi. Close to Costco is a Target too .. further down the road is Walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter