"Rental" Crutches?

PeanutButterMom

Mouseketeer
I know, I know. :rolleyes:

DH injured his knee playing hockey about 6 weeks ago. He's had multiple surgeries, half a dozen scopes, only the quick path to a knee replacement. He's been bracing and icing it, and is finally going to the doctor for an MRI. It will most likely need scoped at the very least, hopefully which will happen before our trip (recovery in the past has been less than a week, so we aren't super worried about that).

We'll be hitting the parks in 33 days for a total of 9 nights, mostly longer-ish days. DH doesn't want or need an ECV or wheelchair, but says he "may" like to use crutches off and on as needed. DH is a PRO at crutches; he can go up and down stairs and all sorts of things. That being said, I *SO* do not want to have to carry some onto the plane with us! Is there any way I'd be able to acquire some at the park, should he decide he needs them?

I wouldn't rely on having them available within the park except in case of emergency. If you think he may need them, you might check out some of the ECV vendors or medical equipment vendors (Care Medical possibly) to see about rentals.

I'm curious what about flying makes you not want to bring crutches if he thinks he'll need them and you already have them? Airports are big with lots of walking, he might even benefit from using them.

Enjoy your vacation!

I doubt they have crutches. Remember, their answer for everything mobility and stamina related is wheelchair/ECV. I also doubt they keep crutches on hand for emergencies. If someone gets hurt, they are going to wheel them out in a wheelchair, not give them crutches. Same goes for walkers.

Bring your own crutches and the flight attendants will help you store them if you can't find a spot.

can he crutch 6 miles a day? Because that's about the average that people walk at WDW.

It's super easy to bring crutches on a plane. When we brought crutches for DD13 we pre-boarded to give her more time to get to her seat and we just put them in the overhead compartment before everybody else started boarding with all of their luggage. People were free to put their stuff on top of the crutches. We chose seats near the bathrooms so she wouldn't need the crutches to get there mid-flight (your DH shouldn't have that issue if you don't expect him to need the crutches all the time even in the parks).

Carrying crutches in the park on the other hand is not something I would want to have to deal with if he's not going to use them all the time. If he doesn't need to lean on them much or often then he's probably better off with a cane.

I don't believe that they have crutch rentals in the park. If you go to first aid to ask for something they'll probably tell you to just use a wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter