Rental Rates

DougEMG

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
I am surprised that after the latest increase in MF, more members haven't tried to increase the rate that they rent their points out at.

I just finished renting out some BLT points for $18/point. Now it did take me just over 3 weeks to rent them all, but that was because the occasional points for BLT would come out with the owner asking $17/point, so I would of course have to wait for those to get used up.

Slightly off topic—Do you have points that are specifically earmarked for rentals? I’m looking to pick up a few points at OKW. My intention was to sell an equal number of points. Now I’m wondering if there is merit in keeping them and just earmarking them for rentals.

And to answer your question...we have increased our rental price.

I am surprised that after the latest increase in MF, more members haven't tried to increase the rate that they rent their points out at.

I just finished renting out some BLT points for $18/point. Now it did take me just over 3 weeks to rent them all, but that was because the occasional points for BLT would come out with the owner asking $17/point, so I would of course have to wait for those to get used up.
They were undercutting you and the rental agencies. When you rent on your own, you’re walking a fine line between what your points are worth and what the public is willing to pay in exchange for the risk. If you charge what the agencies charge, your only advantage is that you have something the agencies don’t...guaranteed points at a desirable resort. By if you go too high, people will look elsewhere for that resort.

TBH, if I was preparing to list points, I would check to see what others are listing the same home resort for and then drop my price at or below it in order to move mine quicker. It’s just business. But there’s a limit as to how far I would go. Some people don’t know the value of their points and just want to get something for them. They’re the ones who list their points for $14. Like you said, yours eventually moved. It just took a little time.

@quandrea I don’t thnk that I would buy points with the intention that I would be renting on a regular basis. The market could get saturated during an economic downturn and you may end up losing money. I prefer to think of renting out points as a safety net for the times when I end up with more points than I need. Or when I don’t have a desire to travel to Disney during the lifespan of those points. It’s nice to know that I could possibly recover my money by renting them out.

I find listing just under what the brokers charge works the best. I feel as a private owner I need to offer someone a savings over the brokers. I can ask more if I have confirmed reservations during the fall months. But that takes more work and time before securing the rental.

I generally price to move the points quickly. I don’t mind renting my own points but I’m not vested enough to fish them for top dollar.

$16 if I’m dropping them on a search function (like disboards) to find a new buyer, something I rarely do anymore.

$14 to repeat customers.

I’ve only rented one reservation this year, $14/pt for BCV. I know the value of my points and what I could get.

I also am comfortable with that price for someone I know and have talked with about Disney quite a bit. There’s an element of pixie dust involved with that decision.

That said, I did not undercut anybody seeking a new renter. This renter specifically reached out to me before I had decided to rent to suggest that IF I DID rent out points this year, keep her in mind.

Slightly off topic—Do you have points that are specifically earmarked for rentals? I’m looking to pick up a few points at OKW. My intention was to sell an equal number of points. Now I’m wondering if there is merit in keeping them and just earmarking them for rentals.

And to answer your question...we have increased our rental price.

I bought enough points so that I could rent some out to cover my MF. Those points I bought in 2011 when points were really cheap and the numbers made sense.

The latest contract I bought in Dec 2018 at BLT I bought for my own use. It just came with extra points I couldn't use. Plus the price was high enough that buying it just for rentals has a longer pay back time then I care for.

They were undercutting you and the rental agencies. When you rent on your own, you’re walking a fine line between what your points are worth and what the public is willing to pay in exchange for the risk. If you charge what the agencies charge, your only advantage is that you have something the agencies don’t...guaranteed points at a desirable resort. By if you go too high, people will look elsewhere for that resort.

TBH, if I was preparing to list points, I would check to see what others are listing the same home resort for and then drop my price at or below it in order to move mine quicker. It’s just business. But there’s a limit as to how far I would go. Some people don’t know the value of their points and just want to get something for them. They’re the ones who list their points for $14. Like you said, yours eventually moved. It just took a little time.

@quandrea I don’t thnk that I would buy points with the intention that I would be renting on a regular basis. The market could get saturated during an economic downturn and you may end up losing money. I prefer to think of renting out points as a safety net for the times when I end up with more points than I need. Or when I don’t have a desire to travel to Disney during the lifespan of those points. It’s nice to know that I could possibly recover my money by renting them out.

For premium resorts I think owners can do a lot better renting privately and charging the same rate as the agencies. People I rented my BLT points to originally went to a rental agency, but couldn't get the room, so they rented privately as their 2nd choice. Premium resorts have a high demand, so why give away those points cheap to a rental agency.

I generally price to move the points quickly. I don’t mind renting my own points but I’m not vested enough to fish them for top dollar.

$16 if I’m dropping them on a search function (like disboards) to find a new buyer, something I rarely do anymore.

$14 to repeat customers.

I’ve only rented one reservation this year, $14/pt for BCV. I know the value of my points and what I could get.

I also am comfortable with that price for someone I know and have talked with about Disney quite a bit. There’s an element of pixie dust involved with that decision.

That said, I did not undercut anybody seeking a new renter. This renter specifically reached out to me before I had decided to rent to suggest that IF I DID rent out points this year, keep her in mind.

Would you rent me some BCV points for $14/point ;)

For premium resorts I think owners can do a lot better renting privately and charging the same rate as the agencies. People I rented my BLT points to originally went to a rental agency, but couldn't get the room, so they rented privately as their 2nd choice. Premium resorts have a high demand, so why give away those points cheap to a rental agency.
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. Why let a rental agency make more off of my points than I clear once I pay MFs, taxes on the rental income and factor in the purchase price of those points? Not my precious VGF points!

We never bought with the intension of renting ,but in the last couple of years we have rented out to cover our MF's ,and it's worked out wonderfully.Our first contract was in 2008 when points were very cheap and then again in 2011 .Since then it looks like prices have skyrocketed.We 've been renting at 13-14 pp but Doug you have me thinking I'm too low.

I do not rent out my OKW points very often. The past 3-4 times has has been to the same person and for the repeat business, I cut them some slack and only charge $13/point. I know I can get more, but there is an element of knowing they are good renters and pay promptly and that is worth some peace of mine.

I’ve rented my BWV and BLT points for $18-20

I agree it took longer than I had expected to rent my BLT points but the price was also in the higher end. The BWV rented pretty fast but still not within hours as some do.

I tried to list my points as early as possible (not to early) for oct-dec reservations. I got the feeling that most renters have only heard that you can rent DVC points but haven’t done any research else than that. Most renters don’t know that DVC needs to be booked close to 11 months out and for some times you need to engage an owner closer to the 12 months mark to ensure you get what you want.

In some sense we are all bargain hunters but I did get the sense that some are worse than others. I had one request which I was able to fulfill but the renter didn’t want to commit at the time, as he claimed he could save $0.5 pp going elsewhere. For a reservation less than 100 points the $$ saved is not that much. The renter came back a few days later ready to commit but I had already rented all my points and I could see his dates was gone too.

$14 to repeat customers.

$14 for BCV is a very good price for renters, and depending on when you got your contract it could be for you too.

$14 for BCV is a very good price for renters, and depending on when you got your contract it could be for you too.
I got in before the prices for BCV skyrocketed. It's a good deal for both of us. But, just to repeat, it's not a deal that I would put out on the open market, and I'm not in the market to rent points out to anybody anytime soon. That particular renter, as you might imagine, has offered to relieve us of a similar amount of BCV points at that price each year for as long as we care to offer it...

I got in before the prices for BCV skyrocketed. It's a good deal for both of us. But, just to repeat, it's not a deal that I would put out on the open market, and I'm not in the market to rent points out to anybody anytime soon. That particular renter, as you might imagine, has offered to relieve us of a similar amount of BCV points at that price each year for as long as we care to offer it...
Hmmmm, Ill look you up for a possible trade......:) Good buddy, ole friend.....

I am more surprised that some of the rental agencies only increased what they offer to pay for points by 50 cents when dues went up more that that per point across the board. I guess as long as people will accept that then that will be all they will offer.

I am more surprised that some of the rental agencies only increased what they offer to pay for points by 50 cents when dues went up more that that per point across the board. I guess as long as people will accept that then that will be all they will offer.
What surprises me more is that they increased their own profits by more than 50¢ per point. I understand that they walk a fine line between maintaining profits and charging what he market will bear. But without owners, they don’t have a business. There will always be renters who are gun shy about going directly thru an owner.

What surprises me more is that they increased their own profits by more than 50¢ per point. I understand that they walk a fine line between maintaining profits and charging what he market will bear. But without owners, they don’t have a business. There will always be renters who are gun shy about going directly thru an owner.
Their overhead expensives are not that large, they dont have an inventory to maintain. Their cost are advertising, insurance, business license, communications (internet, phone etc.) And are most likely set up as an,LLC so if they get success fully sued somehow, only the business assets can be touch which would be next to nothing especially if they lease anything they need for the business.

Last edited:
Their overhead expensives are not that large, they dont have an inventory to maintain. Their cost are advertising, insurance, business license, communications (internet, phone etc.) And are most likely set up as an,LLC so if they get success fully sued somehow, only the business assets can be touch which would be next to nothing especially if they lease anything they need for the business.
Some of them have quite a few employees - those folks probably expect increases and employee associated expenses do not remain stagnant, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts