Rental Rates

Some of them have quite a few employees - those folks probably expect increases and employee associated expenses do not remain stagnant, either.
Yes but those are not fixed costs, if business slows down they can cut their labor force.

I have SSR points that I rent out from time to time if I am not going to use it or if I need the money to pay the dues. I always see what everyone has them listed for and go with the price everyone else has regardless of where they own, since I can book anywhere 7 months ahead. What I have noticed is a lot of the ones that have such a reduced price usually expire in a very short amount of time and I think they are just trying to recoup a little so they don't lose the rest of their points. Maybe they forgot to bank them. That happened to me once.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. Why let a rental agency make more off of my points than I clear once I pay MFs, taxes on the rental income and factor in the purchase price of those points? Not my precious VGF points!

How do you calculate the rental income for tax purposes? Once you adjust for MF's and depreciation of the underlying asset, do you really owe taxes? I'm just curious in case I ever rent one day.

How do you calculate the rental income for tax purposes? Once you adjust for MF's and depreciation of the underlying asset, do you really owe taxes? I'm just curious in case I ever rent one day.
I leave that to our accountant. As my husband puts it “That’s why he gets paid the big bucks”. So, I really have no idea what kind of magic he works.

Unless you purchased the timeshare as an investment, and don't use it yourself, you cannot depreciate it.

You can write off the maintenance fees associated with rental points, and any fees specific to the rental (e.g., if you paid a broker a fee to list on his site), but otherwise, that's about it.

Unless you purchased the timeshare as an investment, and don't use it yourself, you cannot depreciate it.

You can write off the maintenance fees associated with rental points, and any fees specific to the rental (e.g., if you paid a broker a fee to list on his site), but otherwise, that's about it.
Thanks, that is good to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter