Rented Pocket WIFI ~ Can you give me the facts? Where to get? Cost ? How do you rent??

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
Can this replace an international Plan??? I've never of this. If I can save $300 for the International plan that would be great.

I rented a pocket WiFi on my first trip to Japan. I can't remember the company name. Anyway, it was great. I had them send it to my first hotel so that it was ready when I checked in. At the end of the trip, I just dropped it into a post box using the box that they provided. I had great reception in cities and pretty good reception elsewhere, though it would cut out on trains. Ultimately, you're relying on the cell network for everything. So, if you're traveling outside the cities, then you probably want one that connect to NTT or some other big network. That might cost a bit more.

On subsequent trips, I used the pocket WiFi provided to me by my VRBO host. Sadly, she's no longer renting out her apartments because of the new laws. :(

Anyway, pocket WiFi is a good solution if you don't have an international data plan and you don't want to buy one. The only real downside is that it's another thing to carry around and you do have to charge it.

Using an international phone plan is slightly more convenient because you won't have to go through the hassle of picking up anything. With a pocket wifi, you have to make sure that you arrive during opening hours to pick up the device if you elect to do airport pickup. If you get it sent to your hotel, you won't have internet till you get there.

If you're traveling with multiple people, everyone can share the Pocket Wifi which further saves money. But it's another device to charge and carry. If you throw it in a bag, it can also get hot.

I'm just going to hijack this thread, sorry! Hopefully it's something the OP would be interested in as well.

How do people get around the 2-factor authentication that's on everything now if you just have pocket wifi? I'm thinking it'll be easier to just go with the international plan so that I can still receive text messages to be able to log into everything!

Not answering your question exactly, but making a suggestion - do you travel internationally often? I purchased my own portable wifi unit about 6 years ago and have been happily using it ever since. The one I have is from Glocalme and was about $150 upfront. I put a local data plan on it before we leave home for every trip. We are going to Japan in a few weeks and I just purchased an 8 GB plan good for 30 days for $20. It will activate immediately when I turn the unit on in Japan. I like that I can purchase local data plans for whatever location we visit and set them up before leaving home - then I have data as soon as the plane touches down - no need to visit a counter or change SIM cards. We travel internationally about twice per year, and it's been a good option for us - much cheaper than renting a unit for each trip we've taken (and in some places we've been, wifi rentals aren't even available).

I'm just going to hijack this thread, sorry! Hopefully it's something the OP would be interested in as well.

How do people get around the 2-factor authentication that's on everything now if you just have pocket wifi? I'm thinking it'll be easier to just go with the international plan so that I can still receive text messages to be able to log into everything!

You don't unless it goes to your email. It's one thing I've read about people having issues with.

I know you can also do Wi-Fi calling but I'm just going to use my phone and pay for international. Not worried about getting texts but my mom's older and I'd rather she or my neighbors who are older than her, be able to call or text if something happens. It's just easier plus it's just me.

I know you can also do Wi-Fi calling but I'm just going to use my phone and pay for international. Not worried about getting texts but my mom's older and I'd rather she or my neighbors who are older than her, be able to call or text if something happens. It's just easier plus it's just me.
My elderly and frail grandparents will be without support for about a week too while me, Dad and my aunt are all away. This is definitely also a consideration for me - they won't learn texting and there's no way they'd be able to work out how to call over wifi!

At least for me, it was still always cheaper to pay for a plan with international SMS and then buy a separate local SIM card. If you're traveling with multiple people, a pocket wifi becomes cheaper than a SIM card.

I'm currently on T-mobile Go5g which includes international data but likely do downgrade it next year since I'm already paying for a Japanese phone plan.

Modern flagship phones come with eSIM so you could just use eSIM + home phone number with international SMS. But if you get "free" or super discounted phones with a carrier plan, they may come with carrier locks which prevent using eSIM and SIM.

Wifi calling has basically never worked for me in Japan using either AT&T or T-mobile on Samsung devices that worked with wifi calling in the US.

T-Mobile lets me receive SMS pretty much anywhere in the world without any extra charges. But, the free data is too slow. So, my T-Mobile phone + a pocket WiFi is perfect.

T-Mobile lets me receive SMS pretty much anywhere in the world without any extra charges. But, the free data is too slow. So, my T-Mobile phone + a pocket WiFi is perfect.
I just checked the details for my Australian carrier, and there's no charge to receive text messages! Even to send text messages is only 75 cents per message... things have changed since I travelled last 😝 Might be worth considering the pocket wifi after all. Thanks for letting me hijack!

We visited Japan mid June and rented a pocket wifi on the first floor of Terminal 1 a the Narita airport. There is a rental desk at every terminal. I used JW or Japan Wifi. With the four of us going, and 2 being young adults, I figured that this would be the cheapest way to have access to the internet.

Toward the end of the trip, I honestly gave up on the unit and turned on my cellular, and just paid the $10 a day. Sometimes the unit worked great, and all four of us could use it for texting, calls, and Google Maps. Sometimes it would not work well at all and I would have to restart the device several times (which seemed to help). Also, it could not keep up with Google Maps directions and the delay made things confusing while navigating trains or streets.

The device also heats up quite a bit and the charger they gave me charged very, very slowly. It would not charge to 100% overnight. Fortunately, I brought a fast charger with me and used that successfully with the device.

If I were to do it again, I would have just two of us on cellular data ($100 for the first phone and $50 for another) and the other two use wifi at hotels or cafes, if needed. One person can also use their phone as a hot spot if another person needs to momentarily access email or messages.

Perhaps my unit didn't work well, or perhaps there's a better company out there! But I don't think I would rent the device again.

I would second the eSim, it would have a similar cost to a portable WiFi device and it's in your phone and you can easily share it with a phone hotspot. If your phone is compatible.

I would second the eSim, it would have a similar cost to a portable WiFi device and it's in your phone and you can easily share it with a phone hotspot. If your phone is compatible.
And if your eSim plan allows tethering. Most plans restrict it to a certain amount of data or disallow it entirely. Also, using your phone as a hotspot is going to drain the battery quickly and cause it to run quite warm. The same problems that you have with a pocket WiFi.

On the other hand, it's one less thing to charge and carry around with you.

I've used Sakura Mobile (non-Disney trip) and Japan Wireless. Both were very good. This next trip, we're getting one from each to see which is better head-to-head, and because we won't always be in the same place at the same time.

I am using Japan Wireless, found a discount code online. They offer free delivery to hotel so I’m having them deliver to hotel in afternoon we arrive (we arrive at night). Comes with chargers, power pack, return label and envelope and carry case.

I am using Japan Wireless, found a discount code online. They offer free delivery to hotel so I’m having them deliver to hotel in afternoon we arrive (we arrive at night). Comes with chargers, power pack, return label and envelope and carry case.
We also got the premium pocket wifi which says 187 Mbps download and in theory has about 12-18 hours battery time plus the power pack. I don’t know how true or accurate this is in real world but I will find out in Sept/Oct!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter