Renting car onsite from Alamo

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
DH wants to do ME and then rent from Alamo onsite. Which location do we not need to shuttle to? Wondering if we can do Dolphin just by internal bus/boat to the resort. Do the prices tend to be higher than renting from the airport? Will the cost usually increase if returning to the airport?

If you are a Costco Member check their rates. I found with them that returning to the airport was much cheaper. In our cast we were going to rent on site and drop off at the St. Pete airport, no rate differences between Dolphin or the CCC, so I went with Dolphin.

I've considered doing this on several visits but prices have usually been higher for me when checking to pick up at Dolphin or Disney Car Care Center and dropping off at MCO; this even included reducing the total rental by a day and picking up on our 2nd day.

I've checked for our next visit and the prices are lowest if picking up at Dolphin or Disney Car Care Center and dropping off at the airport compared to 1) picking up and dropping off at the airport; 2) picking up and dropping off at Disney; and 3) picking up at airport and dropping of at Disney.

I've also checked other companies that have cars available at some of the local hotels.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is price the different locations. I have found lately that the onsite locations are priced higher than MCO. Don't forget there are several rental car companies located at the hotels by Disney Springs. We have had good luck renting a car from Avis at the Hilton. We take the bus to DS and make the 8 minute walk to the hotel

We did it last year at the Dolphin. However, when we booked the car the cost to return it to MCO as pretty high. We spoke to the very nice woman at the counter and she got the price to return it to MCO down to $20.00.

Do the prices tend to be higher than renting from the airport? Will the cost usually increase if returning to the airport?

There is no “tend” when it comes to car rentals. You just have to price things out for your exact trip.

I prefer the shuttle to and from car care center, personally. The shuttles leave from all parks and resorts on site, so if you’re at MK for the day you arrange for a pickup from there (I believe they pick up specifically at the lost and found at TTC for MK), etc. They do require that you set up the pickup about a day in advance.

If you want to use the Dolphin, then you’d just get over there. They have shorter hours there.

No way to know for your trip what the price difference will be vs at MCO. I’ve seen it all ways.

We flew into Tampa last October, stayed overnight and returned the Alamo rental car to Disney Car Center the next day. Rate was very reasonable. This coming August we are flying into MCO, first Vero, then wanted to return the again to Disney Car Center for our WDW vaca..rates were very high! We will just keep car for the WDW portion and return it to MCO.

As noted, you need to check the various options. I have picked up or dropped off at the Dolphin when it has been convenient to do so, but will not pay a big premium compared to MCO. Once, I had a reservation to pick up a car at MCO that we would then drive to Vero Beach for a few days prior to returning it to MCO to fly home. I had arranged a DME run back to the airport to pick up the car. I happened to check the rate for a Dolphin pickup/MCO drop off the day before my reservation and the Dolphin was about $20 cheaper for the same length of time. I booked that and cancelled the original booking.

The major disadvantage to the Dolphin pickup is the fact they assign the car from their available inventory. I like to use the online checkin with bypass the counter when picking up at the airport, so I get to choose my car and bypass the in-airport rental desk or kiosk. At the Dolphin, they have sometimes offered me a free “upgrade” to a large SUV which I dislike driving after a bad experience when I was not forceful enough in saying “no thanks”. Last time that happened, I waited an extra 35 minutes while my preferred sedan was brought over from the CCC. They did give me a free tank of gas for my trouble (that is, I did not have to refuel prior to dropping off the car). I find the Alamo/National rental desk personnel at the Dolphin to be very capable and willing to work with you to make certain you’re happy with the car you get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!