• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting - Cost too good to be true??

dismom22

Mouseketeer
So I just saw that Disney Tour Blog posted about DVC rentals earlier today. I've heard about this but never looked further. I used the DVC rental store point calculator. It told me that 48 points would be needed for a 4 night stay, mid-October for a studio. After doing the math that means only $720. Is that even possible? It hardly makes sense? I mean for the same stay at Pop is $644 for 3 people...

My mom, aunt, and I are planning a F&W Trip this fall. It would be great to be closer to Epcot! It's okay like $25/ea more to stay there. I filled out an availability application. But if it's available...is that for real?! Lol

Point charts are available on line, the going rate is $11 to $14 dollars per point. Availability is limited so you should book up to 11 months in advance.

:earsboy: Bill

So I just saw that Disney Tour Blog posted about DVC rentals earlier today. I've heard about this but never looked further. I used the DVC rental store point calculator. It told me that 48 points would be needed for a 4 night stay, mid-October for a studio. After doing the math that means only $720. Is that even possible? It hardly makes sense? I mean for the same stay at Pop is $644 for 3 people... My mom, aunt, and I are planning a F&W Trip this fall. It would be great to be closer to Epcot! It's okay like $25/ea more to stay there. I filled out an availability application. But if it's available...is that for real?! Lol

The rub is that F&W books up the Epcot resorts at 11 months so availability may well be an issue this late.

Yes, the DVC rooms are a bargain compared to Disney prices. Note however that you are getting room only for that price and you do not get daily housekeeping service. Also be aware that if you want a near park resort such as BCV or BWV for food & wine time, you can find it difficult to get unless you reserve 11 months out. In fact, if that is what you are looking for, you better find an owner of one of those resorts immediately, meaning no later than by tomorrow, to try to reserve a room for you, and even that may be too late.

That sounds like a standard view BWV studio - and yes, that's a typical rental price and might even be found for a little less direct from an owner or a different rental site.

That is room only so I don't know if your Pop room is also room only. And the problem at this point is that Oct is very popular for DVC and the BWV standard rooms are extremely popular because they are such a good value and also walking distance to Epcot for F&W. They book up quickly and will probably not be available at that time since owners could start booking them last Nov for that time frame. If you don't get it this time it could be something to plan for further in advance another year.

There likely are studios available at a couple other resorts but point charts are different at all the resorts and the BWV standard is one of the least expensive.

The chance of you getting BWV or BCV for F&W this Oct is extremely small.

Good luck.

It told me that 48 points would be needed for a 4 night stay, mid-October for a studio. After doing the math that means only $720. Is that even possible? It hardly makes sense? I mean for the same stay at Pop is $644 for 3 people...

My mom, aunt, and I are planning a F&W Trip this fall.

as stated, DVC tends to book up earlier in general than hotels, so more planning is needed.

also, when you book POP, you are dealing directly with disney. when you rent pts, you are renting from an individual.

when you book POP, you get daily housekeeping. with DVC, it's a home-away-from-home concept so pick up after yourself and if you want the beds made each day, do it yourself. (a lot of us really like not having housekeepers in the villa, though - so it's a plus for some of us.)

so if you need to cancel POP, you can get a refund. if you need to cancel your DVC rental, you are most likely out of luck.

also, when you book POP, you are dealing directly with disney. when you rent pts, you are renting from an individual.

Just to stress what this mean.
When renting points, one DVC member will make a reservation for you using his account and will send you the confirmation number, that you'll be able to check on Disney website or link to My Disney Experience.
But he will remain in charge of the reservation, so you won't be able to add yourself Magical Express or a Dining plan, if you want. You'll have to ask to the member to do it for you.

But the most important thing is: there is quite a bit of trust involved. The owner could cancel your reservation in one click and you could arrive at the resort and not have any place to stay. :scared:
This is a very useful post explaining what's better to do before renting directly from an owner:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2647748

In years, only few problems arose with renting on these boards (maybe one or two?) and hundreds do it every year. So it's doable, but it's important you understand how it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter