Renting DVC AKV vs All Star

Mollygirl21

Mouseketeer
We are planning an adults only trip in Feb 2020 and had planned to stay at one of the All Star resorts to spend as little as possible on the room. We have our park passes through Airmiles (in Canada) and plan to get the QS dining plan.

Yesterday, I looked into a DVC room through David's, taking a long shot at an AKV Value Studio which of course wasn't available. But he said a studio std view is available.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to spend $900 - $1000 more to upgrade from AS to AKV.

The money is one thing but what am I losing by booking this way (DVC rental through David's) vs straight reservation with Disney?

I know I have to pay all up front and it's non refundable. So if a really fantastic package or Can resident deal comes out we won't be able to access it.

What are the other downsides to this?

With the DVC rental, you'd have access to all of the amenities of the AKL Deluxe resort. Not nearly as many amenities at the value resorts. May or may not be of value to you if all you want to do is the parks.

AK resort itself is beautiful - lots of nooks and crannies to observe the animals, two great pools, a buffet restaurant, two great sit-down restaurants and a good QS option in Mara. Gift store has some unique items as well as limited groceries and snacks usually not available in the value resorts' stores. If you are staying for several nights, you would have access to a free laundry. Room is larger than the value and has a kitchenette. (No idea what the value rooms offer in this area).

The main thing you are losing with the rental is the inability to cancel and the need to pay everything up front. You already know about that. Also, there are no included housekeeping services with the DVC room, other than a daily trash removal and a towel replacement service on the 4th day (if you stay that long). Value will have two beds (double I think), and the studio will have one queen bed and a double sleep sofa. Very nice for 2 adults - sleep sofa could be an issue for more than 2 adults, though.

It's a tough decision. Good luck and don't wait to long if you want the DVC room. They will go fast now that the 7 month window is open for at least the first part of February.

Can you get a DP w/out a package, room, passes and DP?
With DVC you can just get the DP, with your DVC room no need for passes either.

We are planning an adults only trip in Feb 2020 and had planned to stay at one of the All Star resorts to spend as little as possible on the room. We have our park passes through Airmiles (in Canada) and plan to get the QS dining plan.
AKL is a very nice resort, but you are already saying you are going to spend little time in the room. So if park time is the priority then i would probably save the money on the room and actually spend a little more to get the table service dining plan (regular dining plan or what ever it is called - the 1TS 1QS plan). I think it would enhance your trip more so than paying more for your place to sleep.

I think the downside of no refund if you had to cancel would be my biggest hesitation. At least if you have a room booked the cancellation policy is more in your favor.

One other option which would save you a little money would be to do a split stay - keep All star for your first few nights and then book AKL for the last few nights. This way you get the best of both worlds and you could probably upgrade to the TS dining plan with it over all costing any more. The only thing with this is that you would actually have to add the dining plan through Davids/the member booking - for that portion of the trip. It is very easy because all you do is buy a gift card in the amount to cover the dining plan and then the member adds it to your reservation. And with doing it this way you actually get 2 sets of mugs for the dining plan because it is 2 separately booked dining plans. Really just extra souvenirs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter