Renting DVC for 2017

jamez2014

Mouseketeer
so we are thinking of going to Disney in 2017 end of as a friend is getting married out there (waiting for dates) but have a few questions
1) thinking of renting DVC points to stay in deluxe resort and save the cost, any thing we should be aware of that I might have missed?

2) we will be taking a approx 2yo with us so which would be the best resort to consider?

Renting DVC points is a great way to stay at a deluxe resort for a fraction of the cost but you need to be aware that there may be strict no-cancel policies. You usually have to pay the whole (or at least half) of the price up front, when the reservation is made. Depending where you want to stay, and the time of year that you want to stay there, you will probably need to find an owner who owns and has the points available for that resort, so you will have the 11 month advantage. There are no discounts/free dining/tickets included packages with DVC so it you are looking for free dining, that is not going to be the option for you.

To answer your second question, most of the deluxe resorts are really not themed around children like the value resorts like Pop, All Stars, etc. so I would choose based on where you would like to be located. If you are likely to spend most of your time at Magic Kingdom, I would opt for Polynesian (fabulous view of Magic Kingdom and the lake from a lake view studio) or Villas at Wilderness Lodge. If you favour Epcot and Hollywood Studios then I would go for Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas. For resort alone, my favourite would be Villas at Wilderness Lodge. Of course, if your little one likes Animals, there is always Kidani Village.

It will be harder to get a studio at Beach Club Villas/Boardwalk Villas in October, due to the high demand with the Food & Wine Festival.

Meanwhile, I am going to pop this thread over to the DVC board where you might get more answers from DVC experts.

Joh has already covered the main points of renting DVC points. One thing she didn't mention was that there is no daily housekeeping for DVC bookings it is only every 4 days.

As for resorts we found Bay Lake Tower was great with a toddler. It is walking distance to MK and has a water splash pad as well as zero entry pool. We stayed with DD when she was just under 2 and she still slept in a Pack N Play which fitted perfectly by the connecting door.

We own at ALK although we haven't used our points to stay here but it's a fabulous resort. I echo what the others have said and the villas at WL are great. My favourite DVC is the Boardwalk and we've stayed in both a studio and 1 bedroom. We had a studio at BLT last Easter and absolutely loved it. The pathway to MK is so convenient as is access to the Contemporary which is one of our favourite resorts.

Thanks for all the responses the two sorts we have narrowed down to now is Polynesian and wilderness lodge so I think it will be a case of availability in the end.

Was hoping to use a broker to buy points through as this will be the first time we are renting points, but the maid service doesn't worry is as my wife is a clean freak and cleans the place every day anyway.

thanks for all the replies

1) thinking of renting DVC points to stay in deluxe resort and save the cost, any thing we should be aware of that I might have missed?

2) we will be taking a approx 2yo with us so which would be the best resort to consider?

#1: You will have to make sure your vacation times are confirmed. Most owners have a "no refund, no changes" policy. There is no daily mousekeeping at the DVC resorts (which means you don't get fresh towels/linens daily). Depending on how long you stay at the particular resort, there is trash & towel day at Day 4 and then full cleaning at Day 7).

#2: If there's only three of you, a studio is nice. I have been to AKV (Kidani), BLT, and BCV. BCV has Stormalong Bay and the lazy river and is close to EPCOT.

Depending on how long you stay at the particular resort, there is trash & towel day at Day 4 and then full cleaning at Day 7).

If you stay 7 days or less, you get trash and towel on day 4. If you stay 8+ days you get full cleaning on day 4, trash and towel on day 7, full cleaning on day 11, t&t on day 14 and so on.
Checkin day is day 1

If you stay 7 days or less, you get trash and towel on day 4. If you stay 8+ days you get full cleaning on day 4, trash and towel on day 7, full cleaning on day 11, t&t on day 14 and so on.
Checkin day is day 1

Thanks! I knew it was either 7 or 8 days. :)

We find BLT is great due to walking distance to MK. It is so nice to be able to walk and not deal with monorail or boats. Especially when our DD would need a break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts