Renting DVC Points during pandemic

Disneygirl612

Mouseketeer
I rented DVC points through DVCRentalStore for 2nd week of July. I have already paid in full. Though my vacation has not been cancelled yet, I was wondering what the protocol is if anyone’s vacations were and what your options were. I did email DVCRentalStore regarding this but they haven’t gotten back yet, as I’m sure they are dealing with current cancellations. Any info regarding this would be much appreciated.

Answer depends on what you want to do. If you want to cancel the reservation, likely it’s non-refundable. If Disney cancels the reservation because the resorts are still closed, that’s a different story.

so....what do you want to do?

did you purchase the points protection plan?

I do not plan on cancelling. I was just wondering what the protocol is for trips that have already been cancelled.

What is the points protection plan? When we rented I didn't hear anything about that.
Were you able to get a response? I haven't emailed yet because I also figured they were working on current issues. Plus who knows what will happen in a few months.
Our reservations are for August. I'm so sad that THIS is the year we decide to give this rental a try. I thought I came up with every possible scenario for why we may not be able to go and weighed the risk of it being non-refundable. Massive health pandemic and risking our lives to go on vacation wasn't in my mind. I'm so not a financial risk taker so this was a big deal for me. I wanted to barf when I signed the agreement and sent it back. We've got a few months to see how it plays out but the idea of losing $3500 is horrifying.

I’m so sorry to hear this. We have booked 3 times through DVC Rental Store and though we opted to get the PPP in other trips we did not get it for this trip. We never cancelled the other trips and had no intention on cancelling this one and we opted out of the PPP this time around. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Our trip is in July so I definitely feel your pain. We are paid in full and theme park tickets already purchased for a family of 5 as well. I hope it works out for you and your family!

I’m so sorry to hear this. We have booked 3 times through DVC Rental Store and though we opted to get the PPP in other trips we did not get it for this trip. We never cancelled the other trips and had no intention on cancelling this one and we opted out of the PPP this time around. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Our trip is in July so I definitely feel your pain. We are paid in full and theme park tickets already purchased for a family of 5 as well. I hope it works out for you and your family!
Hmmm... We didn't use that company, we used another one and there wasn't any protection plan like that. Ugh, never could we have predicted this.
Good luck to you too! Like not being able to go to WDW isn't bad enough. Losing all your money on top of it.

What is the points protection plan? When we rented I didn't hear anything about that.
Were you able to get a response? I haven't emailed yet because I also figured they were working on current issues. Plus who knows what will happen in a few months.
Our reservations are for August. I'm so sad that THIS is the year we decide to give this rental a try. I thought I came up with every possible scenario for why we may not be able to go and weighed the risk of it being non-refundable. Massive health pandemic and risking our lives to go on vacation wasn't in my mind. I'm so not a financial risk taker so this was a big deal for me. I wanted to barf when I signed the agreement and sent it back. We've got a few months to see how it plays out but the idea of losing $3500 is horrifying.
I was just on here searching to see if any similar situations to ours. We are avid DVC renters, our first time through the site mentioned in the first post here. I just got done exchanging emails with them. We are end of October, fully paid $3100 already. Now that the parks will be open during our trip, no leniency what so ever. They will not even reach out to the Owner to ask if they would be willing to move dates (I wasn't even asking for a refund, just hoping that if they still had some time left on the points I rented that they would push out my dates to something available). They said they did it at first when all this started and that "it did not go well". End of discussion. So, I'm out $3100 or we risk Disney in October during a global pandemic. Even doing a hotel only stay is risky...and living in Ohio, the drive sure doesn't sound fun. Like I said, we rent often and have almost no reason to be concerned about the non-refundableness of it....except of course for a global pandemic :sad:.

I was just on here searching to see if any similar situations to ours. We are avid DVC renters, our first time through the site mentioned in the first post here. I just got done exchanging emails with them. We are end of October, fully paid $3100 already. Now that the parks will be open during our trip, no leniency what so ever. They will not even reach out to the Owner to ask if they would be willing to move dates (I wasn't even asking for a refund, just hoping that if they still had some time left on the points I rented that they would push out my dates to something available). They said they did it at first when all this started and that "it did not go well". End of discussion. So, I'm out $3100 or we risk Disney in October during a global pandemic. Even doing a hotel only stay is risky...and living in Ohio, the drive sure doesn't sound fun. Like I said, we rent often and have almost no reason to be concerned about the non-refundableness of it....except of course for a global pandemic :sad:.
Yeah I was lucky I didn't make the second payment. Considering borders are closed and I am literally unable to go, I feel like it would have been nice customer service to simply reach out to the owner to ask to rebook. I even offered to pay extra for the time it took them on the phone to reschedule. Now both me AND (possibly) the owner are going to lose since I won't be paying the second half. Personally I'll never rent again. Seems so stupid now looking back when you could just book a hotel room and cancel so easily.

Yep we just learned that this week too. I keep trying to tell myself that maybe the person we rented from really needs the money and it's helping them out. I hope so. We're from NY so while we're open to the idea of a resort-only trip the travel down TO Florida with a 3 year old (we're supposed to be down there for her 3rd birthday and our wedding anniversary :() is what concerns us. Can she even keep a mask on for 3 hours for a flight? But a drive down means 3 days each way adding a week to our vacation and 4 additional hotel days along the way and back.
It's all so disappointing. Loss of vacation AND loss of $3800 is a double gut punch. We knew it was non-refundable so it's my fault in the end. Lesson learned the hard way. We won't rent again, especially when the savings was minimal and we've always been happy in the moderate resorts anyway. Now the "savings" is the exact opposite. The safety of the Disney refund policy is worth the added cost.

We rented numerous times as well. Because the Wilderness Lodge will be open on 6/22 we won’t get a credit. We are going to lose money as well. Check In is 7/6. We live in NJ. I can’t even get into Florida without self quarantining 14 days. I will never rent again.

Yep we just learned that this week too. I keep trying to tell myself that maybe the person we rented from really needs the money and it's helping them out. I hope so. We're from NY so while we're open to the idea of a resort-only trip the travel down TO Florida with a 3 year old (we're supposed to be down there for her 3rd birthday and our wedding anniversary :() is what concerns us. Can she even keep a mask on for 3 hours for a flight? But a drive down means 3 days each way adding a week to our vacation and 4 additional hotel days along the way and back.
It's all so disappointing. Loss of vacation AND loss of $3800 is a double gut punch. We knew it was non-refundable so it's my fault in the end. Lesson learned the hard way. We won't rent again, especially when the savings was minimal and we've always been happy in the moderate resorts anyway. Now the "savings" is the exact opposite. The safety of the Disney refund policy is worth the added cost.
We are in a similar situation with this company. Haven't made the final payment yet, not sure if we will. Not sure how it is on the member's end who is renting out their points, but I'm guessing if I don't make my payment, the member might get their points back due to the policies in place, and the company gets to keep the deposit (or a significant portion of it). So really the renter seems to take the biggest hit in situations like this.

We are in a similar situation with this company. Haven't made the final payment yet, not sure if we will. Not sure how it is on the member's end who is renting out their points, but I'm guessing if I don't make my payment, the member might get their points back due to the policies in place, and the company gets to keep the deposit (or a significant portion of it). So really the renter seems to take the biggest hit in situations like this.
Yes if the owner knows you are not checking in they can cancel the reservation and get their points back. So if you fail to pay the payment I would think the owner can then cancel and re rent the points. You are much better off renting direct. I had a renter that I fully refunded her when the resorts were closed for her April stay.

Yes if the owner knows you are not checking in they can cancel the reservation and get their points back. So if you fail to pay the payment I would think the owner can then cancel and re rent the points.

only if they check to see if renter checked in

We haven't even checked. We have reservations in September and are still planning on going.

If you used Dave's DVC like I did they are being complete fat Richards. They won't even communicate at this point. Some form email saying blah blah blah. At least tell your customer they are screwed in a personal way not through some damn form letter. They get a big kung F U from me. I will NEVER use them again.

Yeah I was lucky I didn't make the second payment. Considering borders are closed and I am literally unable to go, I feel like it would have been nice customer service to simply reach out to the owner to ask to rebook. I even offered to pay extra for the time it took them on the phone to reschedule. Now both me AND (possibly) the owner are going to lose since I won't be paying the second half. Personally I'll never rent again. Seems so stupid now looking back when you could just book a hotel room and cancel so easily.

I havent made the second payment either, I mean how are you managing to get out of that ? just curious as im in the same situation, oct24-nov1 , im not even sure the resort i booked is even open

I havent made the second payment either, I mean how are you managing to get out of that ? just curious as im in the same situation, oct24-nov1 , im not even sure the resort i booked is even open
I just took the loss on the first half and let them know I wasn’t paying the second half. You can do that in the contract I signed.

I just took the loss on the first half and let them know I wasn’t paying the second half. You can do that in the contract I signed.

maybe i have the same deal, it reads

This Rental Agreement will be considered null and void with no legal recourse available for further action by any party if payment of balance due is not made by prescribed date.

but still all of this is extra stress who needs it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts