Renting DVC Points - Points room perks?

littleBeast

Earning My Ears
So excited because I just got a reservation renting points to stay at Aulani in April 2019! It's my first time renting points and my first time at Aulani.

Going into the rental process, I saw that renters do not get any members perks and I was totally OK with that, since I'm already saving a ton of money just on the room. However, then I heard that we do actually get free parking... so I called the front desk to confirm and was told that yes, non-members in point reservation rooms do get free parking and in fact get every member perk EXCEPT discounts, where you would have to show your card. I didn't get a specific list of what that actually includes though.

Doing some snooping on the DVC website, it seems like the free points perks at Aulani include:
-Character Meet and Greet hour
-Nature Walk Tour
-DVD rentals

Does anyone have experience with actually getting to do these things as a non-member in a points reserved room?

Last edited:

Free parking and free laundry tokens (if staying in a studio) are perks to anyone staying on a points reservation - owner or renter doesn't matter. It just has to be a points reservation rather than cash.

As the resort said, the member card is needed for any discounts such as the spa, store, or cabana rental. For the character meet, the fine print at the bottom says you have to show a DVC member card in order to do this - https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...mber-events/character-meet-and-greets-aulani/

To my knowledge, any member perks at any DVC resort requires a valid DVC membership card to take advantage. The free parking/laundry tokens aren't necessary a member perk, but just a perk of staying on points which is why the card is not required.

I'm not aware of any other member perks at Aulani other than these things.

Hello,
I am planning a DW Christmas 2020 Trip (very early) and was thinking about renting DVC points. Does anyone recommend doing that? And why or why not?

Thank you..
Bill

Hello,
I am planning a DW Christmas 2020 Trip (very early) and was thinking about renting DVC points. Does anyone recommend doing that? And why or why not?

Thank you..
Bill

We have rented points for our October 2018 Aulani trip via www.dvcrequest.com. Although we haven't traveled yet, the actual process of requesting the reservation, paying for the points, and getting our Aulani reservation made was quick and painless.

One thing to note is that we did need to pay 100% of the cost upfront, which I understand is normal when renting points. We knew about this and budgeted for it, but it's good to know when you start thinking of renting points.

Currently, I don't see any down side to renting points for Aulani!

You can also get free laundry coins if staying in a studio and need to use the laundry.

We have rented points for our October 2018 Aulani trip via www.dvcrequest.com. Although we haven't traveled yet, the actual process of requesting the reservation, paying for the points, and getting our Aulani reservation made was quick and painless.

One thing to note is that we did need to pay 100% of the cost upfront, which I understand is normal when renting points. We knew about this and budgeted for it, but it's good to know when you start thinking of renting points.

Currently, I don't see any down side to renting points for Aulani!

Do you have the ability to view your reservation? I rented through David's also but other than the initial email when my reservation was made, I haven't received anything else from Disney and I can't double check (for peace of mind) my reservation through Disney's website(s).

No, you do not get to look at the reservation as the owner can only do that.
Ask then to send a copy of the confirmation from DVC.

I rented through David's also for October and I have received emails from Disney with the confirmation numbers (I'm managing 3 reservations for our extended family) as well as a few emails saying I could now book dining reservations etc.

I received an email from Disney with my reservation confirmation, and was able to enter that in the "My Aulani" section of the website.

I don't see any down side to renting points for Aulani!

The only "downsides" to renting DVC points, at any DVC property, are the need to book far in advance and often without the ability to cancel or change your dates. Usually have to pay in full a time of booking, but some owners may take a deposit. No daily housekeeping. No control over your reservation - at the mercy of the owner/broker.

Do you have the ability to view your reservation? I rented through David's also but other than the initial email when my reservation was made, I haven't received anything else from Disney and I can't double check (for peace of mind) my reservation through Disney's website(s).

I was able to link mine in MDE, making it viewable. Aulani doesn't use MDE for anything and you don't have the authority to change anything on a point rental reservation, but it will still bring up the reservation so you can verify everything.

So weird. I was not able to link it to my MDE, and the "My Aulani" section won't let me pull up my reservation since it is greater than 10 days until I check in. I received an original email back in May when I rented the points with my confirmation number, but nothing since.

So weird. I was not able to link it to my MDE, and the "My Aulani" section won't let me pull up my reservation since it is greater than 10 days until I check in. I received an original email back in May when I rented the points with my confirmation number, but nothing since.

I can't do that part yet either (same message about not being 10 days out) but was able to use my reservation number to pre-register my kids for Aunty's on the website.

I can't do that part yet either (same message about not being 10 days out) but was able to use my reservation number to pre-register my kids for Aunty's on the website.

I'm going in late September so I can let you know how it works out for me. I just called Aulani and they "see something there" but wasn't able to pull up the reservation for some reason, said I would need to speak to DVC. I emailed David's to see how I can confirm, but I just got a reply that I can check in 10 days before to ensure the reservation is still intact.

Thanks for your help! So parking, laundry, DVDs, sounds good to me! All I saw when I first looked at the Meet and Greet was to present a room key, so I wondered if our room key would suffice. Understandable if not!

I did not get a confirmation from Disney either. I tried looking online, but it was a no go. David's said I can't check my reservation until 10 days before. It does make me a little uncomfortable, but that is why I am happy I used a broker like David's; the middle man makes me feel a little bit more secure about all of this, in case things go sideways.

Other than that, I think I am a huge fan of renting points at the moment! We saved 50+% from getting a room from Disney, literally thousands of dollars, so I think it's a great option so far. Plus free parking is a $35/day savings! So I'm definitely a fan, but we'll see how things go by April!

what about housekeeping when renting points? in a studio ocean view room, how does housekeeping work?

They come every 4th day, either for trash and towels or a clean up. But with the current rules, they might also clear your trash on other days

There are also trash rooms in a central spot on the floor where you can dump your garbage yourself. We had them come on day 4 for the towel refresh. Its my understanding they will come on day 8 for a full clean on any DVC point reservation, but we left on day 7 so we didn't see that.

Otherwise, you have the option of purchasing a towel package or even a full daily cleaning package for a set price per day. I believe you can add this at check-in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter