Renting DVC Points Questions

hearing "welcome home" makes it all worth it. even though I am not a DVC member, it makes me feel special.

Lol. We own and that’s rarely said to us.

That's interesting to find out. We had to send our flight info to the owner. That was last fall and the first time we flew since 2007. We usually drive.

We own but I use the online (not Dvc) form to do dme. It’s been said firmly on the Dvc boards that Dvc’s contract with dme requires us to blah blah blah but I haven’t had to. The one time I did, i got a cm who had no clue about flights and how to do a one day reservation (bc he thought you can’t do a one way flight “anymore”) etc.

PayPal's rules explicitly state they don't give protection for timeshare transactions.

Yeppers. There is NO protection for such a transaction with PP.

Oh Im glad you mentioned the coffee, I'll need to bring coffee and towels..
If you plan on using the laundry, bring detergent and softener (or softener sheets if you use them). One bedrooms and larger get a single use box of green detergent each service day.

Yeppers. There is NO protection for such a transaction with PP.

Paypal won't protect you, but your credit card might. Each person should read their card policy carefully -check the sections about disputing/appealing charges and travel insurance. We ended up having to use our 2nd choice card (not the good points card) and we had to pay goods and services with the added fee. But I think it's worth it for my peace of mind. The closer we get to our departure date, the more often I am logging in to make sure the reservation is still there!

Does anyone know how does DME/MagicBands/FPP come into play? I'm looking at this first time too. If i get the rental and buy my park tickets.....can I still get Magicbands and the 60 day window for FPP?

Does anyone know how does DME/MagicBands/FPP come into play? I'm looking at this first time too. If i get the rental and buy my park tickets.....can I still get Magicbands and the 60 day window for FPP?

Yes everything goes as usual.

I'm renting points for the first time for November. We are very excited. Went through a private renter on DVC board.

You are treated the same a any other Disney resort guest.

Just finished up my first experience renting DVC points (VGF December 17-20). I found a lovely owner and booked directly through her for that trip. She handled Magical Express for us, though when flights changed, I called them directly and got it sorted out.

I went through David's and got a Studio with savanna view at Kidani for June 24-27, 2018.

And I'm already planning for June 2019, when I hope to get the Poly (1st choice) or Grand (2nd choice) or BLT (3rd choice).

I'm hooked on DVC. It's the only way to stay, IMO. But you do have to take a bit of a leap of faith. Once you're in, you're in. If you're not too picky, though, you can usually get something (Saratoga Springs or Old Key West) at fairly short notice. Kidani wasn't my first choice for the trip in June, but when David's came back with what was available, I was happy to choose it. I think Bay Lake Towers was available too, along with Saratoga and OKW. And that was just a little over 6 months out.

Everything else works just like a regular Disney reservation. You get Magic Bands, FP+, ADRs, etc.

If you need a larger unit than a studio, your savings will go down quickly. One bedroom villas usually require about twice the points as a studio. Studios usually have one queen bed, one queen or double sleeper sofa. Some also include the fold down murphy bed which is bunk sized (shorter and narrower than a twin bed).

This is exactly what we’ve found when looking into renting points. We are a family of 4 with 2 adult-sized teenagers. We need 2 queen beds. The savings just isn’t there for the 2 bedroom villas. And we can rent 2 regular rooms much cheaper. (I know - no kitchen or laundry)
I don’t really see renting ever being an option for us. If we ever splurge on a 2 bedroom villa, it will be with a 30% off promo/code.

We had a nightmare experience renting DVC points through a "broker." It was a small company, not well known and cheaper than the others. Clearly you get what you pay for, we learned the hard way. Thought we had done our research, bought travel insurance (which didn't cover our issue). We never did stay at AKL and for us, it's not worth the stress and risk to try renting points again. Be very careful! And know that even if you go through a broker, the owner of the points can cancel your reservation at any time without your knowledge (one of our many many issues in our situation). Yes, many have zero issues and save lots but it's not without risk. We ended up being reimbursed by our credit card company after submitting very detailed information, timeline of events etc but it took 4months to go through the dispute process.

We just booked DVC thru davids rental and I had/have many of the same questions! I noticed there's a lot of emails about the towels. Do we start with a set of towels or are we expected to BYO or pay another fee? Do the DVC rooms have Keurig coffee makers?

We just booked DVC thru davids rental and I had/have many of the same questions! I noticed there's a lot of emails about the towels. Do we start with a set of towels or are we expected to BYO or pay another fee? Do the DVC rooms have Keurig coffee makers?
You start with enough towels for the room occupancy (such as 4 towels for a 4 person occupancy). The coffee maker is Mr. Coffee, which uses flat bottomed filters. If you at there for a week, on day 4 house keeping will replace towels and empty trash, and replace coffee.
You can purchase extra towels if you wish (talk to the front desk when you check in).
Denise

Paypal won't protect you, but your credit card might. Each person should read their card policy carefully -check the sections about disputing/appealing charges and travel insurance. We ended up having to use our 2nd choice card (not the good points card) and we had to pay goods and services with the added fee. But I think it's worth it for my peace of mind. The closer we get to our departure date, the more often I am logging in to make sure the reservation is still there!

I thought when paying for goods and services the fee is charged to the merchant, not the buyer? I work for a couple of small businesses and that's how it works for us. Also, our contract with PayPal states we are not allowed to charge buyers an extra fee for using PayPal, but I think many owners/merchants try to do this.

I rented from DVC rentals now I’m praying there are no issues with the owner i rented from i have never heard of this happening them cancelling does this happen often

We had a nightmare experience renting DVC points through a "broker." It was a small company, not well known and cheaper than the others. Clearly you get what you pay for, we learned the hard way. Thought we had done our research, bought travel insurance (which didn't cover our issue). We never did stay at AKL and for us, it's not worth the stress and risk to try renting points again. Be very careful! And know that even if you go through a broker, the owner of the points can cancel your reservation at any time without your knowledge (one of our many many issues in our situation). Yes, many have zero issues and save lots but it's not without risk. We ended up being reimbursed by our credit card company after submitting very detailed information, timeline of events etc but it took 4months to go through the dispute process.

I would caution anyone using a smaller agent (not a direct DVC owner renting points) who charges less that it also means they pay owners less. Why would an owner use them, over the bigger companies that pay owners more? It's almost a red flag.

Owners who rent direct may charge less than an agency, but that also is because they don't have an agency taking a cut. Some may be trying to rent distressed points - which is to say they need to be used in under 7 months, and availability is going to be more slim.

I was recently looking into renting DVC points in order to stay at some of the deluxe resorts for cheaper and a few questions came across my mind

1) Is this against Disney policy? I am not trying to break any rules here

2) It seems too good to be true as you can stay at some of the nicer resorts for 50-60% less. Is there a catch?

3) How do you use the points that you rent? It looks like you can only obtain DVC points on the Disney website if you are a DVC member.

4) Has anyone here done this before and what was your experience like?

Thanks for the help!

You've gotten a lot of responses here. I've gone out and rented via finding people on message boards. This can be risky, of course, but there are a couple ways to vet the owner. Primarily, go to the Orange County property records, where there will be a record of the owner's transaction and prove that is an owner. And, of course, ask for references. Now, someone could fake his way through all of this, but taking those two steps will go a long way toward protecting yourself.

We've had excellent experiences. It's a great way to save money and I recommend it to anyone I know who is going to Disney and isn't a complete newbie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter