Renting DVC Question

alc571

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone.

I was thinking if booking a long weekend trip for our family for DH's 40th birthday in December. I'd like to keep it cheap, but memorable, so I was thinking of renting DVC for a MK view at BLT.

Because I'm trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible, I don't know what days will be cheapest for our flights. My question is how far in advance would I have to book or find a rental? Can you do last minute? Is there any way to change a rental reservation? (ie. in case we found cheaper flights Fri-Mon, but booked Sat-Tues).

Also, would MK view at BLT be the best choice?

Thanks so much!

Generally speaking rental transactions are non-cancelable, non-refundable, non-changable.

They are all virtual handshake agreements between member and non-member so terms will vary. You'll have to discuss that with the person from whom you rent.

That said, I can tell you that December is VERY high demand for DVC accommodations and BLT MK view is near the top in terms of overall desirability. Members could begin booking December dates back in January and honestly I think your odds of getting a MK view Studio (assuming that's what you want) are pretty slim.

You'll have to approach an owner or rental broker to check availability. By May, when those dates are only 7 months out, your odds of getting ANY room at BLT will be nil.

Even if you can get something now, having the option to modify that reservation will likely be meaningless because there simply won't be any rooms available to make changes.

December: DVC's highest demand month of the year. The first week is the highest demand week of the year, Christmas week the second highest, and the second week the third highest. The third week of Dec is much more moderate.

In other words, if you want BLT in 2013, your best chance right now is likely during that third week and then for lake view. However, there is some possibility for lake view in the second week if all you are looking for is a "long weekend" meaning only three nights. Note if you delay reserving beyond the date that is 7 months from your date of arrival, there will be nothing left to reserve at BLT.

As to view, I personally consider BLT's lake view to be better than theme park view. The theme park view is mostly, during the day, the castle in the distance, the top side of Space Mountain, the monorail, and a huge, ugly parking lot below your room. It is worthwhile almost exclusively for the night time fireworks. Most lake views give a very pleasant view during all the daylight hours of a large lake and forests in the distance, and some even have partial MK view for the fireworks.

Hi everyone.

I was thinking if booking a long weekend trip for our family for DH's 40th birthday in December. I'd like to keep it cheap, but memorable, so I was thinking of renting DVC for a MK view at BLT.

Because I'm trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible, I don't know what days will be cheapest for our flights. My question is how far in advance would I have to book or find a rental? Can you do last minute? Is there any way to change a rental reservation? (ie. in case we found cheaper flights Fri-Mon, but booked Sat-Tues).

Also, would MK view at BLT be the best choice?

Thanks so much!

If you are talking about Dec 2013, you should have booked that theme park view villa in January. December is a very busy month for DVC. Theme park views go quickly at eleven months out.

Last minute and timeshares just doesn't work very well.

Changing a DVC points reservation depends on whether or not the other reservation is even available. It's not like booking through Disney Reservation Center.

Wow...guess I will be SOL..lol

If it makes any difference I was looking at Dec(Specific Dates Removed). Looking at TouringPlans it looks like a non-busy weekend for the parks.

Guess my next best idea is Contemporary through some sort of bounce back offer in my room when we come next week.

Thanks so much for all your responses. They've been very helpful (and enlightening!) :)

If it makes any difference I was looking at Dec 7-10. Looking at TouringPlans it looks like a non-busy weekend for the parks.
:)

That is exactly why it is a favored week with DVC owners. Well, that and lower point costs for the rooms.

Park busy times are not the same as DVC resort busy times.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Wow...guess I will be SOL..lol

If it makes any difference I was looking at Dec 7-10. Looking at TouringPlans it looks like a non-busy weekend for the parks.

Guess my next best idea is Contemporary through some sort of bounce back offer in my room when we come next week.

Thanks so much for all your responses. They've been very helpful (and enlightening!) :)

The Bounce Back info is not on a card in your room like before. It is in the center of the guide they give you when you check in. Just so you don't miss it.

The Bounce Back info is not on a card in your room like before. It is in the center of the guide they give you when you check in. Just so you don't miss it.

Is bounce back available to guests staying on rented dvc points?

Is bounce back available to guests staying on rented dvc points?
It depends upon what you're asking.

1) If you are staying on DVC Points, and a bounceback offer is available for cash guests on cash reservations, it will be available for DVC points guests to book the same cash offer.

2) If you are asking if staying on DVC Points will let you use a bounceback offer for another DVC Point stay, the answer is no. There is no discount for booking future DVC Point stays. A discount would only apply to future cash package stays.

It depends upon what you're asking.

1) If you are staying on DVC Points, and a bounceback offer is available for cash guests on cash reservations, it will be available for DVC points guests to book the same cash offer.

2) If you are asking if staying on DVC Points will let you use a bounceback offer for another DVC Point stay, the answer is no. There is no discount for booking future DVC Point stays. A discount would only apply to future cash package stays.

I meant # 1. I knew there was no discount for future points rentals as it's a Disney offer but I assumed offer was only good for guests who originally booked with Disney so it's great to know that's not the case :)

Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter