RENTING OUR DVC POINTS?

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
We are seriously considering renting out our DVC points using David's Rentals. If anyone has done this before, can you tell me your experiences? I've been trying to get as much information as possible. Thanks!

Do it and don't hesitate. I have done it a few times though David's without issue. I would recommend David's to anyone looking to rent out.

Be flexible on your points that you are renting. If you only want to rent one one year of points, all your points may not get rented. But if you are willing to borrow 10 or 20 points from the next year, all the points you want rented should go.

You will need to be ready to make the reservation when asked. An email will go out to a few renters, the first to respond will get selected.

You may be asked at a later to date to make changes or add things like Magical Express.

David's is a Canadian company and does not provide 1099's for your taxes. You will have to track and report the transaction your self when you file your taxes, if you are in the US.

Do it and don't hesitate. I have done it a few times though David's without issue. I would recommend David's to anyone looking to rent out.

Be flexible on your points that you are renting. If you only want to rent one one year of points, all your points may not get rented. But if you are willing to borrow 10 or 20 points from the next year, all the points you want rented should go.

You will need to be ready to make the reservation when asked. An email will go out to a few renters, the first to respond will get selected.

You may be asked at a later to date to make changes or add things like Magical Express.

David's is a Canadian company and does not provide 1099's for your taxes. You will have to track and report the transaction your self when you file your taxes, if you are in the US.
Thanks for the information. We are planning on renting out 291 points with an expiration date to use of March 2021. Does that sound reasonable? So....I make all the arrangements for the renters? The reservation, ADR's, FP, Magical Express, etc?

Thanks for the information. We are planning on renting out 291 points with an expiration date to use of March 2021. Does that sound reasonable? So....I make all the arrangements for the renters? The reservation, ADR's, FP, Magical Express, etc?
No need to do FP’s or ADR’s. I have only been asked to do the room reservation.

Do the 291 points sound reasonable? Too many? Not enough? And is the expiration of those points okay? It’s end of March 2021

That sounds fine, but it’s easier if you’re a little bit flexible. When you complete the form it asks you how many you want to rent but also if you’re willing to rent more. If you say you’re willing to go 10 or 20 more then they’re more likely to find you a match, as finding an exact match for 291 may be hard. If that amount is your maximum you may have a few left over that they can’t rent.

We’ve only used them once. We listed the number of banked points and said we were flexible up to an additional 20 points. In the end we had to borrow 7 from the next (current) use year.

Edited to add: That expiry should be fine. If you only have a few months left they won’t be able to rent them for full price but you still have well over the 11 months.

As someone else said, you have to make the booking and add the magical express and dining plan if they choose it, but they sort out everything else for themselves.

I've used Davids twice for confirmed reservations. Awesome to work with. Would do it again in a heartbeat. I had to switch the reservation name and set up meal plan and magical express. That was it. Super easy.

Keep in mind also that you don’t get all the money upfront. You get 70 or 75% upfront and the rest after they check in. But it was a seamless process.

David's made the process very easy. The only drawback (in my opinion) is the free-for-all when a request for rental goes out to owners. I received several but was not fast enough for a couple weeks (that probably is solely on me). I suppose I was just unaware this was the normal 'connection' process, and now that I know I will watch more closely. But the actual contract, information needed to setup the reservation, and payment was fast and easy. Highly recommend!

David's made the process very easy. The only drawback (in my opinion) is the free-for-all when a request for rental goes out to owners. I received several but was not fast enough for a couple weeks (that probably is solely on me). I suppose I was just unaware this was the normal 'connection' process, and now that I know I will watch more closely. But the actual contract, information needed to setup the reservation, and payment was fast and easy. Highly recommend!
Do the potential renters contact you directly to obtain your points?

Do the potential renters contact you directly to obtain your points?
No, David's emails a few owners that have the points needed by a renter, and the one that accepts first receives the renter's info, then makes the reservation in the renter's name. My points are usually sold within a day or two. While I get a few dollars less per point, it is much easier & less time-consuming than renting out on my own.

I signed up for David’s last week on Wednesday. Wednesday they had me four different families that I made reservations for. A few hours later all the money was in pay pal. I took the free option and had it deposit into my checking account. It was there on Friday since thanksgiving. Friday they had me one reservation that night it was in pay pal. Saturday it was in my checking account. Yesterday they had me one reservation. Didn’t get it done until late because I work 12 hours. It was in my pay pal today tomorrow it should be in my checking account.
Than I will have money coming in when they check in. March, April, September and three times in October.
One thing you want to do is get your pay pal going before you contact David’s. It’s free. Pay pal will make 2 small deposits into your bank. To make sure it works and the account is right.

One other thought is transferring your points to another member. I did it through the Rent/Trade board here on the Disboards. I was able to rent 300+ points within 3 days.

I have rented out lots of points with David’s service. No issues whatsoever. We will continue to use his service in the future - we rent out our points to pay for Disney cruises.

When I first started renting with them several years ago, an email went out to several owners and the first one to respond made the reservation. With my last points I rented thru them, they sent me a direct email with the reservations to make. Very easy. And if there are problems with a renter, you have someone to help get the problems resolved.

I would echo what has been said. I currently have 3 reservations for renters on my dashboard. We've used David's on both sides of the transaction and it was seamless each time. I would say the only drawback I have experienced is seeing all of those cool reservations that I am not attending. :) I will definitely be going through David's each time the opportunity arises.

We reserved for three families this year and one for next with extra points. David's people are all exceptionally polite and professional and I would rent through them again if we ever have the opportunity. I do think that the going rate they pay owners is way too low but that's another issue...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter