RENTING OUR DVC POINTS?

I know that feeling so well! Every time I log on I see the countdown for a January vacation and it reminds me that someone will be staying at ‘my’ beach club. I’m jealous of my own booking. :-)

When they checkin it’s more $$$ for you or $$$$ if it’s a big reservation. Think of it that way.

We are seriously considering renting out our DVC points using David's Rentals. If anyone has done this before, can you tell me your experiences? I've been trying to get as much information as possible. Thanks!
I'm echoing much of what has already been said. David's is great to work with--very responsive to my emails. Here's a quick and handy guide to what I did first time, thus what you can expect.
1) Contact David's.
2) They'll send you a contract to review and agree to via email. Read it thoroughly so you'll know what to expect. For instance, they require you to be ready and able to quickly book a reservation when requested, and you should be willing to do just that.
3) Along with the agreement, they'll also ask you for an email address associated with PayPal since that's how they transfer funds.
4) Once you've finished all the online/email paperwork, they'll let you know that you're all set. When that happens, begin monitoring your email account routinely.
5) You will get an email notification--sort of a roll call, if you will--sent to members who have qualifying points that match the request David's has received from the renter. As part of that email, you are reminded once again that you will need to quickly book the reservation, as in as soon as possible, i.e., not in the next day or so.
6) If you respond, you will be notified that either it's a go or that they received your email but another owner's points were used, i.e., they were quicker on the response.
*Side note: I received a notification one morning while at work and didn't see it until a few hours later. I responded but David's sent me a note saying the request had been filled but thanking me for responding and that they would keep my points in the queue. Two days later, I received another email roll call--this time, I saw it in time to respond almost immediately. I was quickly contacted (again, all via email) by David's who again asked if I was ready to make the reservation quickly. And so I did.
7) Once you receive the request, David's sends along all the necessary information to book it. In fact, all the information David's sends you about the renter is laid out just as you would fill it in on the reservation page on the DVC site.
8) Book the reservation. David's email will include a link to click where you can enter the reservation number.
9) You are set. The renters will pay 70% at the time of the booking, though David's gives them roughly 48 hours to do so.
10) You'll see the payment pop up in PayPal when the payment is made.

Again, David's is very responsive to email correspondence, often with minutes of sending them one. I had a question about the payment (one of my first renters hadn't paid after about 36 hours), and they responded within 30 minutes explaining in full how they proceed with securing payments and the timeframe. I thanked them for the information and was sent an almost immediate "you're welcome and thank you so much for using us!" response. So far, I've had no issues with them at all.

David's is great. We have used them more than once. We haven't been to WDW in years, but don't want to give up our points yet. We have used the proceeds to go to Europe a few times and to go to Universal Orlando and on cruises.

I'm echoing much of what has already been said. David's is great to work with--very responsive to my emails. Here's a quick and handy guide to what I did first time, thus what you can expect.
1) Contact David's.
2) They'll send you a contract to review and agree to via email. Read it thoroughly so you'll know what to expect. For instance, they require you to be ready and able to quickly book a reservation when requested, and you should be willing to do just that.
3) Along with the agreement, they'll also ask you for an email address associated with PayPal since that's how they transfer funds.
4) Once you've finished all the online/email paperwork, they'll let you know that you're all set. When that happens, begin monitoring your email account routinely.
5) You will get an email notification--sort of a roll call, if you will--sent to members who have qualifying points that match the request David's has received from the renter. As part of that email, you are reminded once again that you will need to quickly book the reservation, as in as soon as possible, i.e., not in the next day or so.
6) If you respond, you will be notified that either it's a go or that they received your email but another owner's points were used, i.e., they were quicker on the response.
*Side note: I received a notification one morning while at work and didn't see it until a few hours later. I responded but David's sent me a note saying the request had been filled but thanking me for responding and that they would keep my points in the queue. Two days later, I received another email roll call--this time, I saw it in time to respond almost immediately. I was quickly contacted (again, all via email) by David's who again asked if I was ready to make the reservation quickly. And so I did.
7) Once you receive the request, David's sends along all the necessary information to book it. In fact, all the information David's sends you about the renter is laid out just as you would fill it in on the reservation page on the DVC site.
8) Book the reservation. David's email will include a link to click where you can enter the reservation number.
9) You are set. The renters will pay 70% at the time of the booking, though David's gives them roughly 48 hours to do so.
10) You'll see the payment pop up in PayPal when the payment is made.

Again, David's is very responsive to email correspondence, often with minutes of sending them one. I had a question about the payment (one of my first renters hadn't paid after about 36 hours), and they responded within 30 minutes explaining in full how they proceed with securing payments and the timeframe. I thanked them for the information and was sent an almost immediate "you're welcome and thank you so much for using us!" response. So far, I've had no issues with them at all.

very good info. The only thing I will change is your number 9. I’m sure you know but a person reading this and wants info may not know. The renters will pay everything when you book. David’s holds back 30 percent until they checkin.
So a 100 point reservation at A premium resort the renter will pay 1800 dollars shortly after you make the booking to David’s.
davids will keep 350 dollars you get
1,450 dollars. You will get 1015 shortly after you make the booking. The other 435 dollars David’s will keep until they check In Than you will get the other 435 dollars at that time.

very good info. The only thing I will change is your number 9. I’m sure you know but a person reading this and wants info may not know. The renters will pay everything when you book. David’s holds back 30 percent until they checkin.
So a 100 point reservation at A premium resort the renter will pay 1800 dollars shortly after you make the booking to David’s.
davids will keep 350 dollars you get
1,450 dollars. You will get 1015 shortly after you make the booking. The other 435 dollars David’s will keep until they check In Than you will get the other 435 dollars at that time.
Yes, good catch. I did shorten the version but that extra information may be important to some. Thanks! :thumbsup2

David's is a Canadian company and does not provide 1099's for your taxes. You will have to track and report the transaction your self when you file your taxes, if you are in the US.

ugh. I rented points thru them this year, and didn’t know this.

I signed up for David’s last week on Wednesday. Wednesday they had me four different families that I made reservations for. A few hours later all the money was in pay pal. I took the free option and had it deposit into my checking account. It was there on Friday since thanksgiving. Friday they had me one reservation that night it was in pay pal. Saturday it was in my checking account. Yesterday they had me one reservation. Didn’t get it done until late because I work 12 hours. It was in my pay pal today tomorrow it should be in my checking account.
Than I will have money coming in when they check in. March, April, September and three times in October.
One thing you want to do is get your pay pal going before you contact David’s. It’s free. Pay pal will make 2 small deposits into your bank. To make sure it works and the account is right.

Update just made another reservation Saturday. Well it was two reservations for one family. Today Monday it’s in my pay pal. Tomorrow it will be in my checking account.
So it was 8 reservations I made seven different families. I’m happy, David’s happy and 7 different families are happy.

Workers are putting a new roof on my house today with the money. Other money will be used for getting some trees cut down, a new shed.
Plus have more money coming every time a family checkis in. That will be enough for my dcl Alaska cruise.

Update just made another reservation Saturday. Well it was two reservations for one family. Today Monday it’s in my pay pal. Tomorrow it will be in my checking account.
So it was 8 reservations I made seven different families. I’m happy, David’s happy and 7 different families are happy.

Workers are putting a new roof on my house today with the money. Other money will be used for getting some trees cut down, a new shed.
Plus have more money coming every time a family checkis in. That will be enough for my dcl Alaska cruise.
Thanks for the update. We also plan on using the money towards our house. So many things we want and need to do. New driveway, update two smaller bathrooms. Painting the interior and window treatments are at the top of our list.

I've used Davids twice for confirmed reservations. Awesome to work with. Would do it again in a heartbeat. I had to switch the reservation name and set up meal plan and magical express. That was it. Super easy.

Hi
I am going through this process right now with David's rental. Last minute illness and I can't go so I decided to turn the reservation over to David's. Today they confirmed an interested party.
Could you tell me how I would set up a meal plan for the renters?
Thanks
Mel

When you hit twenty reservations, DVC might question if you are commercial renting or not.

Today David’s had me a big reservation. To see if I wanted it. A big 10 points LOL. You wouldn’t even think that would be worth their time as they will only get 35 dollars it was a sep 29 at the boardwalk. Only got about 100 points left and going to keep them. Even if I had a lot 10 points not worth the trine.

What is the tax ramifications on renting points? Is it like renting property.....income reported and some allocation of expenses deducted?

David's made the process very easy. The only drawback (in my opinion) is the free-for-all when a request for rental goes out to owners. I received several but was not fast enough for a couple weeks (that probably is solely on me). I suppose I was just unaware this was the normal 'connection' process, and now that I know I will watch more closely. But the actual contract, information needed to setup the reservation, and payment was fast and easy. Highly recommend!

I had the opposite issue. My home (and it looks like yours) is BWV....so I was the only member with points in queue and they had a lot of people looking to rent. I was away for several days (and picky about the sort of reservation I wanted to make - no Food and Wine and I wanted to get rid of the points I needed to rent in a single transaction), and eventually they were "are you going to take any of these?" When I decided to act, it wasn't an issue at all.

I had the opposite issue. My home (and it looks like yours) is BWV....so I was the only member with points in queue and they had a lot of people looking to rent. I was away for several days (and picky about the sort of reservation I wanted to make - no Food and Wine and I wanted to get rid of the points I needed to rent in a single transaction), and eventually they were "are you going to take any of these?" When I decided to act, it wasn't an issue at all.
That is awesome - We are OKW and the reservation was for AKL Kidani so I did not even think that different resorts could play out differently.

What is the tax ramifications on renting points? Is it like renting property.....income reported and some allocation of expenses deducted?

Speak to your tax professional. You are responsible for paying taxes on income. If you go through a U.S. based broker, you'll get a 1099. David's is in Canada and doesn't send them out. Many members don't bother paying taxes on the income, which isn't legal - but renting a timeshare privately for a small amount of money once every few years is a lot like having a garage sale - PAY YOUR TAXES, but if you'd forget, its unlikely they'd find it, even under audit so don't stress too much about it. If you want to deduct expenses (in DVCs case, probably just dues on points rented - our asset is a lease and Disney takes the depreciation - your depreciation would be a double dip, property taxes are rolled into dues, and if I were auditing you, I'd laugh if you had advertising expenses. And for God's sake, don't deduct any loan financing.) fill out a schedule E. Many tax accountants believe deducting rental expenses on a timeshare is a red flag - the IRS is suspicious of hobby activities (including vacations) framed as businesses for tax deductions - so weigh your total audit risk, sometimes passing on deductions even if you are entitled to them is wise - and the more complex your tax situation, the more you want to keep the lid on a possible audit - even if you do everything right and end up with the IRS writing you a check because you passed on deductions, its a painful process. Definitely do not try and write off "visiting the property to check on it" - if you are caught in audit it will become a VERY EXPENSIVE vacation with fines and interest. Tax advice over the internet is worth what you just paid to get it, speak to your own tax professional.

Hi
I am going through this process right now with David's rental. Last minute illness and I can't go so I decided to turn the reservation over to David's. Today they confirmed an interested party.
Could you tell me how I would set up a meal plan for the renters?
Thanks
Mel
Mel, not sure if you got your answer. But straight forward. Have Dave's collect the money, then you just make the addition on. Or get the families CC and use that. I am not sure how Dave's does it, but I rent direct and get the CC from the renter and use. That way no issues for me.

Mel, not sure if you got your answer. But straight forward. Have Dave's collect the money, then you just make the addition on. Or get the families CC and use that. I am not sure how Dave's does it, but I rent direct and get the CC from the renter and use. That way no issues for me.
The renter can also buy a gift card in appropriate amount and give you that number instead of their CC information.

Report income less the allocated cost of the annual dues and marketing costs and amortized cost to purchase DVC contract (28.5 year amortization I believe). Confirm with your tax person.

Report income less the allocated cost of the annual dues and marketing costs and amortized cost to purchase DVC contract (28.5 year amortization I believe). Confirm with your tax person.
Don't amortize the purchase price. That is depreciation you don't get to do that in casual use personal property. I know there are timeshare sites that say you can....I strongly disagree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter