Renting out points as a new owner

DisneyMom321

Earning My Ears
Hi, I'm new here and currently waiting on ROFR for our first DVC contract. Just thinking ahead a little bit here. Our contract (as long as it passes rofr) has some points that we won't be able to use right away. We would be able to bank them, but we were thinking of renting them out instead, because we will have more than enough for our stay we are planning in Dec 2018 with the next year's points. Does Disney frown upon renting out points right away after becoming a member? Thanks!

As a new owner you might get WDW/DVC fever. In a short time you might become point short and the banked points could come in handy. Many owners dip into borrowed points each year instead of having banked points available.

:earsboy: Bill

No they don't, but I'd bank them and create a bank of points to move forward with. When you get to the point where points will expire and you aren't planning enough time at Disney to use them, then rent. You may find that you want those points at some time in the future - and having banked points gives you some flexibility (like being able to book a more expensive room or resort for a future stay).

I too would bank the points. When we bought our DVC we weren't able to use our first years points. We banked them and over time we loved having the extra points to use. We are now needing to borrow for out trips.

Thanks for the feedback! It's a tough decision. We want to buy 25 direct points once we are officially members, and we were thinking renting these points would help cover some of that. But I can also see the value in banking points! I guess we have time to think about it still but wanted to make sure it wasn't going to flag my account or anything if I do decide to rent points out right away. Thanks!!

I agree - I'd only rent points in danger of expiring. When we bought in March of this year we ended up with 125 2017 points that weren't going to be used. We banked them and are using them for 2 trips in 2018, one of them a holiday trip that we'd never have spent the points for had we not had banked points we "had" to use - and it's my YDD's 3rd birthday, so we are "saving" as much as we can, LOL.

I would bank the points; I love knowing I have enough points to invite family and friends. Plus, I tend to like at least 1 bds, but almost always get a 2bd and invite a friend or family to stay in the other bedroom.

Alternatively, you can offer to transfer the unbanked points. Note that you can only transfer once during a calendar year (so NOW, and insist on all or nothing), and the new owners of the points can bank for next year.

As a new owner you might get WDW/DVC fever. In a short time you might become point short and the banked points could come in handy. Many owners dip into borrowed points each year instead of having banked points available.

:earsboy: Bill

It took me 10 years before I had a surplus of points (I bought in 2007). Until now, I always wanted more (and even bought transferred points a couple of times).

If they are bankable then i would bank them to have a cushion of points going forward. If after a year or two you find yourself with a surplus of points then consider transferring or renting them. Most owners wish they had more points so if you are just starting out keep them

I did exactly this. Wasn't going this year and had points already banked into this year. 5.5 weeks after making my offer I called MS and got my number and password. First thing I did was email Dave's. 4 hours later I had 70% paid.

same here, we had an offer accepted on a 100pt contract, and I'm already trying to plan wisely! The 100pts are 2017 and had never been banked yet. So they can be banked once to 2018 correct? Thing is we already have a 2018 trip paid and booked. So those 2017 points banked to 2018 would need to be rented out before they expire, correct? then our 100 pt 2018 will bank to 2019 and we will have a larger amount! Think I got that figured right, man its all crazy! GOOD LUCK on your contract!

Just remember if you do rent points, as the 'owner' you are responsible for any damage or unpaid bills caused/left by your renter
yep! We have been renting from owners for over 15 years.... so we know how to be cautious on who we would rent to. Also we would never want to rent out outr point after that, its just these 2017 points once rolled to 2018 wont be of use to us. We had rented and booked at 11 months out, so we are all set for 2018's trip.

Last edited:
If you can afford it I would bank the points. It is really nice to know when you want to stay at a more expensive DVC resort or add an additional night to your reservation or move up to a larger DVC villa because friends and family are joining you, that you have extra points in the available and don't need to borrow.

But yes you can rent the points if that is what you prefer.

If you can afford it I would bank the points. It is really nice to know when you want to stay at a more expensive DVC resort or add an additional night to your reservation or move up to a larger DVC villa because friends and family are joining you, that you have extra points in the available and don't need to borrow.

But yes you can rent the points if that is what you prefer.
You can't bank twice though right?? They are 2017 points, and would be banked to 2018. 2018's trip is already booked and paid for. Unless I can bank them to 2018 and use them to book 2019's trip with a larger allotment of points.

You can't bank twice though right?? They are 2017 points, and would be banked to 2018. 2018's trip is already booked and paid for. Unless I can bank them to 2018 and use them to book 2019's trip with a larger allotment of points.
If your 2018 Trip is with your points, then you can call Member Services and have them use your 2017 points first after banking them. Now any excess 2018 points become bankable to 2019 UY.
This is a key move that you should be doing every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!