Renting out points on your own

justme0729

DIS Veteran
I will have some points to rent out for the first time. Do I just make the reservation for the person, give them the confirmation number, and accept payment via paypal or do I need to have them sign a contract or something?

Per your own ownership terms, any rental you do MUST have a contract. It's something you agreed to with Disney.

Really? I must have missed that in the fine print! I occasionally rent our points and always draft a contract anyway -it’s kind of crazy that people would turn over thousands of dollars without a contract ...but I know it happens.

Just so you know, paypal might be a problem. If there are issues, paypal will not come down on your side and will refund your money to your renter.
There have been a lot of talk about that in the past with mixed answers. IIRC paypal will not refund any money if you have the contract to proof the rental.

There have been a lot of talk about that in the past with mixed answers. IIRC paypal will not refund any money if you have the contract to proof the rental.

But using Paypal for payment for timeshare rentals is still against the company policy, so they could do anything at anytime and be covered with the owner have no recourse. To big a risk, when a personal check will work.

Thanks for the warning about using Paypal for timeshare payments. I was not aware of that. I have used that method a few times to accept payment.

David's Vacation Club Rentals uses PayPal.

I rent every year we use PayPal and I have a contract that I send out with the confirmation. Been doin this for 20 years never had a problem

I rent every year we use PayPal and I have a contract that I send out with the confirmation. Been doin this for 20 years never had a problem
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting per Point nowadays

Paypal is supposed to only be used for tangible goods.
But using Paypal for payment for timeshare rentals is still against the company policy, so they could do anything at anytime and be covered with the owner have no recourse. To big a risk, when a personal check will work.

That's simply not true. The PayPal buyer protection plan won't cover such payments, but it's perfectly fine to use it to pay for a timeshare rental. Lots of web sites and services use it for subscriptions, donations, etc. All perfectly fine.

We are getting ready to attempt our first point rental, we have kept a contract from points we previously rented from an owner through a Disboards post.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting per Point nowadays
I was just going through this thread and noticed nobody answered your question. If you go through David's, he currently pays around $13 a point for reservations in the 0-7 month window and $14 a point for reservations in the 7 to 11 month window, except SSR, OKW and AULANI which only get you $13 a point, even in the 7 to 11 month window. And I think Davids, and other brokers, are currently charging customers $16 to $18 a point.

If you decide to do it yourself, people are asking $14 to $18 a point. I really think $15, $16 or $17 a point is reasonable, if you do it yourself, considering current market prices.

Does anyone know what forms PayPal send to the federal government, for taxes? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts