Renting Points for Oct 2021- Availability/Strategy question?

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi-

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question! I have a credit with David's from our May trip that I would like to use for next October 2021. My dream is to stay at the Polynesian and after waiting for now YEARS to get back, I am ready to splurge. :) Planning on doing a AKV/PV split. But I am getting nervous about availability due to the point surplus, 50th anniversary, etc. Wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on our chances of getting our reservation? My plan is to put the request in with David's right at the 11 month mark for our Poly stay (dates would be Monday, Oct 11- Sunday, Oct 17.) Assuming we get that, I will try for the AKV portion which is actually earlier (dates would be Thursday, Oct 7- Monday Oct 11), but I want to ensure first the Poly part. It's so tricky renting b/c you can't make any modifications.

Does this seem like a realistic plan? Would going in Nov/Dec 2021 be better?

Thanks so much!

David's seems to be focusing all new requests to owners they've already paid, so it may very well depend on if any of the owners caught up this year have home points at Poly that will still be good for 2021 that they are willing to use for David.

Otherwise, they'll have to find a new owner, and actually pay out the initial payment to that owner. Which is a cash flow thing. A lot of owners have been very turned off by DVR's business practices and new contracts, so I don't know if there will be a lot of new owners lining up with premium points for fall frenzy for him.

November and December have the same problem, with November having half marathon, Food & Wine, and Jersey Week, and December featuring the two highest demand DVC weeks of the year (the first two weeks of December - not Christmas itself). Since you're in Columbus Day week it's not pretty anyway, but it's all hard and November and December won't be any easier from either a booking perspective or from DVR's business having the owners (and cash) to work with.

You need to request BEFORE the 11 month mark, whether dealing with a broker or an individual. This may need to be walked. Someone said on these boards October will be the Hunger Games of DVC booking, with all these extra points and all the demand after lockdown.

I would not be doing business with several of these brokers, on either end, based on how they handled/are currently handling Covid. You are not likely to be the top of anyone's list right now. I'd recommend reading the boards about what is happening with these brokers.

I would make a cash reservation as a backup right now, if you want an October stay.

Just to add that checking now is a better option because he has line up a home resort owner,

Honestly, though, I don’t think he asks owners to walk reservations. He doesn’t get paid until the renter gets a confirmed reservation number,

Yes, this is a voucher, but I just don’t see him asking owners to do this because they wouldn’t get paid until they secure dates, etc.

You need to request BEFORE the 11 month mark, whether dealing with a broker or an individual. This may need to be walked. Someone said on these boards October will be the Hunger Games of DVC booking, with all these extra points and all the demand after lockdown.

I would not be doing business with several of these brokers, on either end, based on how they handled/are currently handling Covid. You are not likely to be the top of anyone's list right now. I'd recommend reading the boards about what is happening with these brokers.

I would make a cash reservation as a backup right now, if you want an October stay.
(I don't think either @RoseGold or I are trying to be a downer - we both understand you have a voucer you hope to use. We just don't like your odds, because the voucher program is a flaming dumpster.)
Just to add that checking now is a better option because he has line up a home resort owner,

Honestly, though, I don’t think he asks owners to walk reservations. He doesn’t get paid until the renter gets a confirmed reservation number,

Yes, this is a voucher, but I just don’t see him asking owners to do this because they wouldn’t get paid until they secure dates, etc.

Thank you all- I know this is a difficult situation and I remember as a renter back in May reading all of the stress the owners were going through with David's, so I get it. I am just trying to figure out how to best use my credit.

A couple of follow up questions- I don't know what "walking" means.. I have a guess but can someone explain?

I am a little confused about when to put in the request now- you are saying I should go ahead and put it in today? Again if my desired dates are Oct 11- Oct 17 2021, what date would you recommend I put in the request?

Because I have a specific resort in mind, do you think I will have a better chance of getting it at the 7 month mark b/c then more owners would be able to book it (instead of just "home" owners?) I am thinking I will try for the Poly at the 11 month either way, but wondering if I don't get it, should I wait until 7 months, or put in a back up choice at 11 months and just be happy to get anything?

I don't know what "walking" means.. I have a guess but can someone explain?
It is a process of booking dates before your desired dates and moving check in, to block out a unit. A broker firm won't do it, so it's not relevant for you.

you are saying I should go ahead and put it in today? Again if my desired dates are Oct 11- Oct 17 2021, what date would you recommend I put in the request?

Today. Put it in today.

Because I have a specific resort in mind, do you think I will have a better chance of getting it at the 7 month mark b/c then more owners would be able to book it (instead of just "home" owners?)

For those dates, in 2021, you have zero chance at 7 months for Poly, and near zero for AKV. The units will not be available past 8:02AM if they are even open at all by the day before 7 months open. The only resorts that will have any 7 month are Saratoga and OKW, maybe, big maybe, or upgrading yourself to 1BR at AKV.

I'm also thinking there will be an incredible amount of pent up demand late next year during fall frenzy. There are people (like me) who skipped their yearly vaca to disney, banked all our points, and are hoping to go at the end of next year (when Covid is presumably more "under control").

People (not me) are already walking the ressies for the BWV boardwalk/std views 2bd/studio AS WELL as the BLT std studio/2bds. I was looking online just to see if I should start walking bc I'm toying with the idea of next October and I can't even get a room. I've also had a previous renter reach out to me to find out if I can get him a room in October. Methinks October-December will be difficult to get at the 7 mo, and even maybe the 11mo depending on the room category.

We are thinking about doing the first two weeks of September (which is currently pretty open, for a reason) for the bargain DVC point value and just skip school-After all, how important is the first two weeks of school for a 3rd and 6th grader anyway?? lol.

Good luck!!!!!

Last edited:
I can see October being harder to book than Nov and Dec because it think it’s busier even in normal times. However, with reduced holiday celebrations this year, I can also see Nov-Dec trips being rescheduled for next year. I have never rented points so I don’t know if they have a waiting list set up by month and/or how far out they accept requests, but if there is a waiting list, it’s better to get on it sooner rather than later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!